Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 392

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2935189 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5670 on: November 02, 2023, 12:55:14 am »

Any chance of procgen prepared meals, similar to how procgen instruments are currently implemented?

While my 4x llama tallow roasts are... interesting... it'd be cool to see what recipes the world itself has come up with.

That was planned for taverns but never made it in due to time constraints. So, yeah, but no timeline now.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: November 02, 2023, 05:32:56 am »

Quote from: delphonso
Within the overhaul of the Adventurer character creator, will we be seeing embark profiles like in fortress mode?

Likewise, would it be possible to make custom labor details something similar that could be moved between forts/worlds/installs, etc?

It'd make sense to have those since it's a time consuming process to pull together a character, though you run into the same trouble of not having the same items available every time, and it might be worse here depending on how the clothing is stored/handled.

Definitely appreciate the desire to be able to import labor details (and work orders etc.), there's a lot of redundant work when you've played several forts.  We're generally going to keep the fort updates coming (better archers still #1 if I recall), and we'll be addressing stuff/feedback as we go.

On this note, within the past week there's been some active mod development to start filling out palletes for some domestic animals (full patternization for cats, dogs, horses etc) so on the user end it could be moving into a more fulfilled place.

Thanks for the replies Toady.  :)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: November 02, 2023, 01:15:48 pm »

Thanks for the reply! I think I understood most of it...
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: November 02, 2023, 10:52:50 pm »

Thank you for the answers again!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: November 08, 2023, 11:54:34 am »

What Eric said. Those were some choice responses.

Thanks T!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: November 09, 2023, 02:48:13 am »

Maybe more a personal question but still
How do you keep motivation, working mainly alone, for years and years, on a nearly unique project ?

ryno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: November 12, 2023, 03:33:39 am »

my brain exploded recently when i discovered there were no above-ground mushrooms in the world of dwarf fortress. how did things end up this way? would the dwarves reign supreme in every version of history with access to such a resource? do you have a favorite real-world mushroom type? Thank you

elanto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: November 14, 2023, 11:26:00 am »

Hello, How are you? This is my first time asking a question here, I hope I'm doing it right. And first of all I wanted to thank you for your incredible work. Truly, thank you for giving us the opportunity to enjoy these incredible worlds that can only exist bacause of you. Dwarf Fortress is the game I always wanted to play.

Once this is done I would like to ask you a question:

I know this may sound a little strange, but I would like to know if your idea of an adventure mode will also be focused on people who prefer a more peaceful game mode? By this I mean if, for example, we can focus our objectives on making a farm and living peacefully on it, until the goblins allow us, spending our days fishing to sell the fish in the nearest city. Or, for example, be a merchant seeking his fortune to settle in a big city and have a life of luxury there? Or maybe set up a tavern in a city and work so that others can get drunk?... Will there be a possibility in the future of something like that? Would the ultimate idea of the game be to create a truly living world where we can truly do anything we want?

And another question that may have already been asked before, will it ever be possible in the vanilla game to play with other races in fortress mode?

Thank you very much and greetings.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 06:57:57 am by elanto »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: November 14, 2023, 07:51:02 pm »

Other races is a possibility, yeah, but not a priority.

There was talk of the myth and magic update, having a randomness and magicalness modifier in advanced worldgen, whereupon if one or both of these settings is turned up high enough the world will be generated with random, possibly magical species in place of some or all of the vanilla races, including dwarves. So if that gets implemented, either those worlds will have playable procedurally-genned races or be adventure mode only.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: November 15, 2023, 02:50:08 am »

we can focus our objectives on making a farm and living peacefully on it, until the goblins allow us, spending our days fishing to sell the fish in the nearest city. Or, for example, be a merchant seeking his fortune to settle in a big city and have a life of luxury there?

Tarn and Zack actually answer this question in the latest interview with Blind https://youtu.be/a77Oj8UQmsw?si=jJ7H7k190pvNBz4f (Sorry I don't have a time index for you).  If I remember correctly, he said that it was something he'd like to do, but it won't be for a long time.  There *are* things you can do now, though.  For example, you can wander the world performing.  You can buy and sell stuff (well, barter... although, it's basically impossible to make a profit).  You can make bone carvings and trade them.  I often play peacefully, but there isn't much fun in staying in one place.  Really it's geared for "adventure", whether that adventure is simply traveling around and learning about the world, or fighting stuff.  Farm sim stuff, etc are unlikely to be prioritised.  You can kind of play that way in Fortress mode, though.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: November 15, 2023, 12:53:30 pm »

1)why canI nobles with some sort of SUCCESSION not be appointed to a position that is a SQUAD-holding? Like baron and monarch that cannot be militia commander?

2) Is there any way that an unit holding a site-level position can succeed a civ-level position? It is possible in world-gen, but it seems not to be in fortress-mode.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 11:03:05 am by joostheger »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: November 24, 2023, 03:08:44 pm »

Honey bees do not possess the vermin_micro tag, and consequently do not spawn in swarms.  In spite of this, unused sprite graphics remain in the premium raws, which depict swarms of the remote_colony honey bee worker caste. 
-- What kind of buzzing nightmares did you originally have in mind for our dwarves?  And are there any plans to have us to experience these horrible nightmares at some point in the future?

The Lawnmower Man

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: December 01, 2023, 12:08:44 am »

In older versions of the game in adventure mode it was a terrible slowfest near goblin towers. What are you going to do to fix this, will you reduce the maximum population in goblin fortresses?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: December 01, 2023, 09:27:18 pm »

I think that's been rejected before, they wanted settlements to have significant populations. I've personally been hoping they'll instead limit the number of units that can be loaded at a time, like loading all the historical figures and important positions like shopkeepers/inn keepers/non-historical nobles and a few guards and then if its under the cap select random nobodies. Would be really impressed if they dynamically loaded/spawned/unloaded units in your immediate vicinity if the cap is too low to fill all the needed positions.
I make Spellcrafts!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5684 on: December 01, 2023, 09:35:20 pm »

Quote from: kaijyuu
Any chance of procgen prepared meals, similar to how procgen instruments are currently implemented?

Bumber: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8510314#msg8510314

Yeah, as Bumber says, we had a whole plan for this, at the same time as procedural tavern dice/board/card type games, but those things got pushed off into the nebulous future.

Quote from: Inarius
How do you keep motivation, working mainly alone, for years and years, on a nearly unique project ?

I think having such a variety of things to work on helps a lot.  It'd be harder for me if I were, say, balancing and tightening (or doing UI stuff...) continuously.  The resultant lack of focus and refinement also leads to some of the problems with the project most likely, but it's not gonna be perfect.  We also used side projects for this purpose - breaks into completely different genres etc. are good.

Quote from: ryno
my brain exploded recently when i discovered there were no above-ground mushrooms in the world of dwarf fortress. how did things end up this way? would the dwarves reign supreme in every version of history with access to such a resource? do you have a favorite real-world mushroom type? Thank you

I recently grew some golden oyster mushrooms from a little kit.  That was fun!  It is weird that there are no aboveground mushrooms, especially since we ended up adding so many real world crops over time.  I'm not sure if I didn't imagine them in gardens rather than purely being foraged?  That could be the reason, since I was working on little gardens and plots when the new crops came in.

Quote from: elanto
I know this may sound a little strange, but I would like to know if your idea of an adventure mode will also be focused on people who prefer a more peaceful game mode? By this I mean if, for example, we can focus our objectives on making a farm and living peacefully on it, until the goblins allow us, spending our days fishing to sell the fish in the nearest city. Or, for example, be a merchant seeking his fortune to settle in a big city and have a life of luxury there? Or maybe set up a tavern in a city and work so that others can get drunk?... Will there be a possibility in the future of something like that? Would the ultimate idea of the game be to create a truly living world where we can truly do anything we want?

And another question that may have already been asked before, will it ever be possible in the vanilla game to play with other races in fortress mode?

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8512440#msg8512440
mikekchar: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8512478#msg8512478

Yeah, it's really just a matter of work.  Every idea you suggested requires not peace but a robust economy, for instance, which is something we've been vaguely aiming at but have failed to attain a few times.  Other ideas of peaceful play styles require a more robust social sim.  These are things we're interested in.  Combat has always been easier, but it's not the only stuff we work on.

I think the reply addressed the other races question - gonna give it a shot with myth magic stuff.  The game is geared a bit toward dwarfiness perhaps, and dwarfiness has given us certain leeway narratively, but we're not too too far from having aboveground/etc./etc. stuff working out.  You do have a lot less play space that way.  Spreading out to a much wider shallower play area, as you'd have in the NPC human villages, is a technical problem.

Quote from: joostheger
1)why canI nobles with some sort of SUCCESSION not be appointed to a position that is a SQUAD-holding? Like baron and monarch that cannot be militia commander?

2) Is there any way that an unit holding a site-level position can succeed a civ-level position? It is possible in world-gen, but it seems not to be in fortress-mode.

1) Is that the specific constraint?  I don't remember if there was some annoying thing about squad assignment upon succession, maybe.  But the monarch shouldn't be manager either.

2) Hmm, I'm not sure how it picks among all the site position holders?  I don't think we have a syntax for that, or code to hold some kind of selection/election among the candidates.  Whatever is going on in world-gen is probably glitchy or arbitrary.  As usual, we don't support a lot outside of the default cases (and I'm not sure what the world-gen case is here.)  This may be particularly true with entity stuff, where various backing code/simulation for situations is necessary.

Quote from: dikbutdagrate
Honey bees do not possess the vermin_micro tag, and consequently do not spawn in swarms.  In spite of this, unused sprite graphics remain in the premium raws, which depict swarms of the remote_colony honey bee worker caste.
-- What kind of buzzing nightmares did you originally have in mind for our dwarves?  And are there any plans to have us to experience these horrible nightmares at some point in the future?

Ha ha there's no particular plan, but bees do swarm in real life and it seemed prudent to be prepared.

Quote from: The Lawnmower Man
In older versions of the game in adventure mode it was a terrible slowfest near goblin towers. What are you going to do to fix this, will you reduce the maximum population in goblin fortresses?

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8514572#msg8514572

We're going to look at it, but I don't want to suggest a solution - I've often been wrong about profiling issues, and Putnam has managed some pretty amazing gains in fort mode already.  Ultimately if we have to change the populations, or how they are distributed, we'll have to go there, though that has knock-on effects, like making sieges less frequent etc., so we need to be cautious.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 392