Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677347 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #870 on: February 23, 2016, 09:37:33 am »

We shall see.
Note: I don't really like the idea that the (federation) presidency rotates. I'm like 101% certain, that a diplomacy (federations & alliances) centred expansion will be amongst the first 3 expansions and it will vastly enhance the system [elected executives, federation parliaments etc.]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:14:12 am by gimli »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 23, 2016, 03:30:25 pm »

I'm like 101% certain, that a diplomacy (federations & alliances) centred expansion will be amongst the first 3 expansions
I'm not. Look at the DLC that was released in 2013 for EU4. I don't imagine we'll be getting any pervasive gameplay changes for a good while after launch.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 23, 2016, 05:02:51 pm »

I had expected it to be a lot LOT deeper than that. I was pretty much convinced that Alliances/Federations and all that were going to be a huge cornerstone of the gameplay instead of just two choices.

More than that, I can't imagine how badly alliances will play with the AI. It'll be endless messing around with war goals (they've even stated that!) to satisfy the AI. That'll probably mean just swapping stuff until you eventually get a configuration that they all agree to.

I'm getting less and less enthusiastic with this, as after pretty much every dev diary it gets a little bit less exciting. I'm sure if they give it time and proper expansions, it'll eventually become awesome, but so far it's looking a bit barebones.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 23, 2016, 07:29:24 pm »

I had expected it to be a lot LOT deeper than that. I was pretty much convinced that Alliances/Federations and all that were going to be a huge cornerstone of the gameplay instead of just two choices.
I'm getting less and less enthusiastic with this, as after pretty much every dev diary it gets a little bit less exciting. I'm sure if they give it time and proper expansions, it'll eventually become awesome, but so far it's looking a bit barebones.
I've actually liked several of the diaries, but I agree; quite bare-boned. Though, given that this is Paradox, I wasn't expecting much to start off with.

More than that, I can't imagine how badly alliances will play with the AI. It'll be endless messing around with war goals (they've even stated that!) to satisfy the AI. That'll probably mean just swapping stuff until you eventually get a configuration that they all agree to.
To be fair, sometimes that's all actual diplomacy amounts to. :P
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 23, 2016, 07:43:49 pm »

I do like Paradox but it does seem like you can get IDK a Sid - Meier game of an AoE line game or something for like £30 in one go and with Paradox you need to spend like £80 to get a great game.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 23, 2016, 11:00:06 pm »

I do like Paradox but it does seem like you can get IDK a Sid - Meier game of an AoE line game or something for like £30 in one go and with Paradox you need to spend like £80 to get a great game.
CK2 with all expansions is several times that.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 24, 2016, 03:16:14 am »

Completely agree. Unfortunately this seems even more bare bones than usual though - I think it's probably because there's no historical element that they need to fulfill so they don't need to reach a sort of minimum to allow for those events to play out.

My main concern is that they've stripped it down too much for it to be a good game in it's own right. Most 4x games have a 'thing' that puts them above the rest of the 4x swamp, but I can't really see this in Stellaris yet. I thought it'd be characters - but then they were dumbed down to nothing, then I thought it MUST be the alliances - but then they seemed no more complex than GalCiv2s.

Still holding out hope though...
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 24, 2016, 03:28:36 am »

We'll see.
I'm cautiously hopeful for Stellaris. The amount of content seen so far still looks like a decent amount for any regular game.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 24, 2016, 03:31:24 am »

Stellaris' thing seems to be the late game with dynamic threats and events. This is something most 4X fail in; once you read a certain point the game turns into a grind to achieve the victory screen while you've already won. I hope they can pull it off in a satisfactory manner.

Edit: Paradox had Reddit AMA yesterday. They were asked about release dates for HOI4 and Stellaris; they named no dates but said Stellaris reached beta before HOI4. Valar Hypetis!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:08:22 am by Majestic7 »

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 24, 2016, 08:17:37 am »

I've actually liked several of the diaries, but I agree; quite bare-boned. Though, given that this is Paradox, I wasn't expecting much to start off with.

It's ok for the v1.0 release, it's a PD game afterall. [Compare vanilla CK2 or EU4 to the latest versions.] They release all of their games with the DLC/expansion model in mind. [..and I say it again...mark my words, the diplo centered expansion will be amongst the first 3.]

Unfortunately this seems even more bare bones than usual though - I think it's probably because there's no historical element that they need to fulfill so they don't need to reach a sort of minimum to allow for those events to play out.

My main concern is that they've stripped it down too much for it to be a good game in it's own right. Most 4x games have a 'thing' that puts them above the rest of the 4x swamp, but I can't really see this in Stellaris yet.

I don't agree, it will be a good 4x space strategy for the 1.0 release, but again:

Yep, but that is true about all of the PD games IMO. So yeah, it will be good @ release, and it will be one of the best 4x strategies after like 4 expanions.

PS. Other than Galciv 2. & DW:U, I can't name a 4x space strategy which I really enjoyed. [I don't have Galciv 3. btw]

-

Lol @ this screenshot. Cow-class Leviathan. :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:16:07 am by gimli »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 24, 2016, 01:02:12 pm »

..and I say it again...mark my words, the diplo centered expansion will be amongst the first 3.
If you say something a first time, saying it a second without some modification is meaningless. If you do so after people have commented on the initial iteration of the statement without acknowledging that in some way, it's inane.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 24, 2016, 02:19:51 pm »

^
I'm like 101% certain, that a diplomacy (federations & alliances) centred expansion will be amongst the first 3 expansions
I'm not. Look at the DLC that was released in 2013 for EU4. I don't imagine we'll be getting any pervasive gameplay changes for a good while after launch.

Define "for a good while".
CoP,  WoN, RP & AoW was released for EU4 within ~1 year after 1.1
SoI, LoR, TR, ToG, was released for CK2 within ~1 year after 1.02b

It's clear that the rotating presidency is just a placeholder. It begs for improvements [btw take a look at the comments on the PD forum, most of the forumers are demanding something better already - yep, totally unexpected reactions..heh], just like the federation/alliance systems themselves. Expanding & enhancing the various diplo related compoments of the game will make the PD fanbase extremely happy & they will spend their money on an expansion like that [focusing on diplomacy] for sure.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:27:05 pm by gimli »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 24, 2016, 03:25:02 pm »

Conquest of Paradise added a quite basic feature that should have been in at launch, some minor details, and a gimmick. Wealth of Nations included a suite of small features, albeit with a unifying theme. Art of War is the first one to add mechanics of any substance at all, and they still fit the format of building comparatively small additions into existing systems.
Sword of Islam simply fleshed out an unintended feature that people liked, and charged for it. Legacy of Rome added flavor events and one feature which, while novel, wasn't actually huge in terms of code complexity. What's more, there's been an official statement specifically citing that as something they don't want to do again. The Republic was, and remains, a buggy mess that's more of an argument against major features in the early stage than for it. The Old Gods was a great expansion, but comes after your four expansion cutoff, and is of anomalously high quality for a CK2 expansion and for Paradox expansions in general; it is reasonable to suppose that they won't capture lightning in a bottle like that again.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 24, 2016, 03:31:56 pm »

I'm only gonna respond to one thing there. "pecifically citing that as something they don't want to do again" Not because they don't like retinues or didn't want to expand the gameplay, nothing intrinsic to the retinues. What they "don't want to do again" was to put in such an important system in a DLC, something which by nature is locked behind a wall (granted, most people DO have Retinues now) which means they can't really expand it as they could a base-game feature.

Which either means they'd not put in a system like that again, or in the future a system that intrinsic would be part of the free patch and not DLC-locked content. Either way, that doesn't have anything to do with them releasing DLC within a year of Stellaris.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 24, 2016, 04:51:13 pm »

oh paradox you troll

also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:55:15 pm by redwallzyl »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 632