Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677388 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1215 on: March 31, 2016, 12:47:05 pm »

and if we take together all human cultures we basically eat everything...i mean bird nest soup? made of the nest and not the eggs?
I know everyone is joking around and all that, but bird's nest soup is composed of the saliva of the swallow. It's not twigs or branches or plastic bags or stuff like that.

All things considered. If you were an alien species looking from the outside. I'd think there wouldn't be much of a difference between someone eating the unborn offspring of another species versus eating their saliva. Actually, I'd kinda assume the previous one was worse.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:55 pm »

My favorite is hyenas though, where the female has the penis. Well, not exactly a penis but a female....thing that looks a lot like a penis.
Thanks Corruption of Champions. Thank you for teaching us all the things about "things"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 31, 2016, 12:59:28 pm »

My favorite is hyenas though, where the female has the penis. Well, not exactly a penis but a female....thing that looks a lot like a penis.
Thanks Corruption of Champions. Thank you for teaching us all the things about "things"

Whenever someone mentions CoC
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 31, 2016, 01:00:03 pm »

Hey, eating eggs isn't eating the unborn offspring of another species, it's eating the food that nature prepared for a potential embryo to consume while developing into a chick. Along with, generally, one egg cell which isn't fertilized and only has half the dna needed to be a viable organism (because that's how sexual reproduction works).

You're also murdering countless single-celled bacteria when you eat vegetables, I'm sure. If you're going to be upset about single cells that have half the dna of a real organism and cannot develop into anything, you should probably be more upset about fully functional single-celled organisms that can actually reproduce. ;)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 31, 2016, 01:01:19 pm »

Hey, eating eggs isn't eating the unborn offspring of another species, it's eating the food that nature prepared for a potential embryo to consume while developing into a chick. Along with, generally, one egg cell which isn't fertilized and only has half the dna needed to be a viable organism (because that's how sexual reproduction works).

You're also murdering countless single-celled bacteria when you eat vegetables, I'm sure. If you're going to be upset about single cells that have half the dna of a real organism and cannot develop into anything, you should probably be more upset about fully functional single-celled organisms that can actually reproduce. ;)
I think the silicone aliens that subsist only on the farts of bacteria would be very upset at our dietary habits.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 31, 2016, 01:02:07 pm »

I think the silicone aliens that subsist only on the farts of bacteria would be very upset at our dietary habits.
Fart aliens are not real people.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 31, 2016, 01:03:43 pm »

Considering that some of our digestion consists of our microbiome digesting the food and us stealing the nutrients from them, we're not too far off from that. Couple more years for transhuman technology to ripen and we'd be silicone too!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 31, 2016, 01:11:43 pm »

Hey, eating eggs isn't eating the unborn offspring of another species, it's eating the food that nature prepared for a potential embryo to consume while developing into a chick.
Indeed.  Technically, it'd be closer to eating their menstruation.

((I wonder sometimes if we could convince Paradox to release more information just by telling them what kind of topics we get up to in an absence of data.))

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 31, 2016, 01:23:52 pm »

((I wonder sometimes if we could convince Paradox to release more information just by telling them what kind of topics we get up to in an absence of data.))

I'm still not quite sure how the topic mutated from sapient robots to the consumption of menses.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 31, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »

I noticed that they included the option to have more advanced species start alongside you (I'm assuming these are different from the dying empires). And since we saw that there are also species that can organically form after you, it means more uneven gameplay.

This makes me happy. I like it when the playing field is all over the place. It doesn't make sense for everyone to be at the same level in a space 4x.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 31, 2016, 02:26:21 pm »

I noticed that they included the option to have more advanced species start alongside you (I'm assuming these are different from the dying empires). And since we saw that there are also species that can organically form after you, it means more uneven gameplay.

This makes me happy. I like it when the playing field is all over the place. It doesn't make sense for everyone to be at the same level in a space 4x.

Yeah, on the one hand you can set the game to favour certain species. Something like the favoured nations in EU.

On the other, as the second part of the Blorg stream shows, there's pre-space aliens seeded across the galaxy, presumably in different stages of technological development, and they can eventually enter the galactic stage. In the stream, there was this Early Space Age species which the presenters encountered, and it almost immediately made the leap to spacefaring race.

That's great, and I'm assuming/hoping for the aforementioned different stages of development. You may have this Early Space Age species whose space leap is imminent, others in an Industrial Age 200-300 years away from it, and perhaps even some Pre-Industrial/Primitive ones which might be anything from 500 to thousands of years away. All theoretically within the scope of a single game, given time and, perhaps, foreign intervention! Ultimately and ideally, Primitive species could also randomly crop up on planets where there was previously no sapient life at all.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 31, 2016, 02:51:39 pm »

I think from a player perspective, the not-yet-galactic aliens offer various options. Aliens far behind, say in stone age, give you more time to manipulate them. Technologically advanced - say, present Earth-level - aliens give opportunities for quite immediate vassals, but less time for custom manipulation.

I could even see xenophobic species knocking down subject species a few levels of technology to give them more time and space to reconstruct them into a perfect slave species.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 31, 2016, 03:24:51 pm »

There's also the possibility that space nations could artificially spark the appearance of Primitive species on a given planet through a specific kind of highly advanced intervention (i.e. monolith), planting the seed of a future spacefaring power. With or without Machiavellian intentions.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 31, 2016, 04:23:54 pm »

Actually the lowest level of development for encountered alien life is pre-sapient lifeforms that have the potential to become sapient. Like running across some ancient apes in the case of humans. Those can then be tampered with for Fun! results.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 31, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »

One thing I would like is to have a game where every planet has some sort of species on it, except for barren/uninhabitable planets. So you can't colonize anything except the barren planets (can you terraform barren planets or is it just to turn a bad-for-you planet into a good-for-you planet?), and need to expand via vassalization/annexation/manipulation of these worlds. So you end up with sort of Federation-style Empire, or the Combine.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 632