Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677385 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1905 on: May 11, 2016, 03:38:12 am »

Observation posts are used to spy on primitive civilizations. Frontier posts can be disbanded - click the post and the red mark to get rid of them. You don't need frontier post to colonize a system.

If you click the mark on the lower right corner, at the left corner of the interface bar, it shows more information on the map. This includes mineral info etc and green planet picture next to stars with habitable planets.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: May 11, 2016, 03:47:05 am »

So how are combat roles best used?
Like the basic ones - defensive and aggressive. One being to charge at the enemy + damage buffs with the other staying in formation + defense buffs.
So say I wanted something like a tank, I would pick aggressive right? To draw out fire? While my more delicate ships/ships doing more damage remain on defensive?

If it was just the behavior it would make seem to make sense, but with the buffs the intended purposes are a bit unclear.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: May 11, 2016, 04:11:49 am »

Both picked hyperlanes because the Youtubers we both watched never seemed to pick them. Don't think I will again because they're too restrictive.
I myself, do like the Hyperlanes. Especially when you force everyone else to use it as well.
This way there will be no surprise attack from gods knows where.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1908 on: May 11, 2016, 04:18:30 am »

I like wormholes myself. Hyperlanes seem okay, and warp is mostly just boring.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: May 11, 2016, 04:23:53 am »

You know, its too easy to get boxed in.
I've been running a very progressive democracy with all the laws set to the least ruthless or oppressive option, while trading migration rights with anyone who will allow it.  As a result, I have alien immigrants from a variety of worlds who will happily colonize places humans can't.  Thanks to my alliance being the strongest local power, I've been neglecting my military and spamming colony ships everywhere.  I still have plenty of worlds within my borders to colonize, but the last few unclaimed worlds outside my borders are about to be claimed.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: May 11, 2016, 04:24:13 am »

I like wormholes on paper, but they are buggy so I haven't used them yet. Basically if you have allies or vassals or protectorates who use wormholes as well, you are going to get screwed. Fleets plan routes using their wormholes (which is WAD), but they are not actually used correctly (which is the bug) so your ships get stuck.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: May 11, 2016, 04:38:49 am »

I like wormholes on paper, but they are buggy so I haven't used them yet. Basically if you have allies or vassals or protectorates who use wormholes as well, you are going to get screwed. Fleets plan routes using their wormholes (which is WAD), but they are not actually used correctly (which is the bug) so your ships get stuck.
*cough* https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hotfix-1-0-1-released-checksum-4d15-not-for-problem-reports.928210/
- Fixed fleets getting stuck trying to use wormhole stations belonging to other empires

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: May 11, 2016, 05:01:02 am »

So, I just finished collecting all the artifacts to move onto the next line of the 'quest' find the progenitor's home system, I get there and then nothing. It just sits there telling me I need to go there. Did I miss something? Was I beaten to the punch???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: May 11, 2016, 05:51:05 am »

Yay for patches.

The progenitor homewolrd thing is another bug, I think.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: May 11, 2016, 05:51:41 am »

So how do I not get owned? Outnumbered, outgunned, I don't know how do they get 2K firepower when I have 500 at the cap.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: May 11, 2016, 06:06:54 am »

Had a very limiting early game. Got cornered by two avian empires on my left and basically mammalian space Pope on my right. Ended up allying space Pope (we're both fanatic spiritualists) and I took over both avian pops. One integrated well and the other was, well, troublesome. I spent an insane amount of influence keeping their sector from open rebellion, luckily I had a lot to spare.

After that I had a lot of catching up to do. Space Pope's neighbors were way ahead of us (also materialist avian jerks) and my neighbors above me were even more powerful. Most of my midgame was playing catch up and fighting wars against Space Pope's neighbors. Eventually I liberated half of those avian systems and put them in our alliance so the old empire would quit messing with us.

During that time I expanded above me. The two big bad civs above me started duking it out. I picked a side by sending an embassy to one and rivaling another. Luckily I picked correctly because the one I sent and embassy to crippled the other one, so I set up shop with a nice friendly buffer state and quite a few systems to myself.

Finally back in the groove and out of all those damn wars for once, I decide to invest in expanding below me so I can hit some appreciable levels of infrastructure. The outer rim only has a fallen empire and lots of colonizable planets. So I was stoked to get really powerful.

Then came the signals from outside the galaxy. I had just established my second planet on the outer rim and was working on a third. I didn't even realize they were landing RIGHT where I was expanding until it was too late. I was playing with my brother so we weren't pausing. Next thing I know my outer rim sector is crawling with multiple 15-24k stacks of these zerg fuckers.

I scramble my puny 12k fleet together before I realize how many of them there are. Once I did I immediately abandoned the sector. Billions were lost. The fleet I had already felt like a drain on my resources, I didn't think I had a chance. I hoped they would go elsewhere or calm down once they took the outer rim.

They didn't. In fact, they began attacking one of my core sectors as well as pushing into the FALLEN EMPIRE. If they couldn't hold them back, how the hell could I? It's not like I've been super ahead of my peers at any point in the game. My allies didn't do shit either. Space Pope and Bird Zealots decided they'd sit this one out (I made you who you are now, dammit!). Needless to say, I was spamming my build queue.

I managed to murder my resources and get my fleet just barely over 16k. I found one of their smaller 15k fleets in a nearby system and decided to try my luck there. The battle was scary to watch but I won with minimal losses. Sure, I thought, I can take a small fleet but there's no way I could face those 20k fleets.

Luckily my brother wanted in on the action. His empire was much more developed than mine so we traded military access and sent in a 12k fleet to help. The fighting was tough and I lost a ton of territory but we managed to stop their advance. I'm bleeding energy credits like crazy but I managed to get my fleet up to 20k.

Can't reclaim the infested world's though. We tried bombing them, doesn't work. There might be an event or tech that helps me out here later. For now, I am the gate keeper of the galaxy. The one who keeps these monsters from growing out of control.

Funny enough, my starting position has always felt like a chokepoint. I loathed it most of the game, but now it's the only thing that keeps the galaxy from falling apart.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: May 11, 2016, 06:28:34 am »

So how do I not get owned? Outnumbered, outgunned, I don't know how do they get 2K firepower when I have 500 at the cap.

Colonize more planets and grow your pop, it ups your naval capacity. There's an early game hump you've got to get over with your navy, and then midgame you'll find the cap is increasing too fast for you to even get anywhere near maxing it, especially with all the capacity techs you'll be hitting. I think my cap's 700 now and I'm sitting somewhere around 600. As for ship power, make sure to not only update your ship designs but to also upgrade your fleets at your spaceports.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: May 11, 2016, 07:39:54 am »

Building more spaceports (and spaceport upgrades) will also increase your naval capacity (about 75% of my current naval capacity is from building spaceports).

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 11, 2016, 07:56:13 am »

Can't reclaim the infested world's though. We tried bombing them, doesn't work. There might be an event or tech that helps me out here later. For now, I am the gate keeper of the galaxy. The one who keeps these monsters from growing out of control.

Funny enough, my starting position has always felt like a chokepoint. I loathed it most of the game, but now it's the only thing that keeps the galaxy from falling apart.
The only way to get rid of them is to let them expand. I'm actually serious about that.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: May 11, 2016, 08:08:31 am »

There bugs regarding the end-game threats (not spoilering) that make getting rid of them even harder than it should be. Should be fixed in the next hotfix, I suppose. Part of that is that AI empires don't fight them.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 632