Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678592 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2025 on: May 12, 2016, 04:17:32 pm »

boy I miss the distant world universe interface, where you can say build this here and ai makes it happen
This. Being able to queue construction would really lower micromanagement.
Shift key. Also you can right click a system and ask it to build all of everything.

That's about the extent of it, and goddamn I wish there was an auto button, but that's better than doing it one by one.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: May 12, 2016, 04:54:12 pm »

Okay so as it turns out I was just very unlucky and the first three systems I entered had zero resources. This includes my 12 planet home system.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: May 12, 2016, 04:59:26 pm »

WOO PSIONIC THEORY!

And with that I think my Star Foxes have accidently become an expy of the racconians from that webcomic "Quentyn Quinn, Space Ranger" or whatever. (warning if you decide to read the comic: its pretty well thought out sci fi and such, but occasionally the author goes full Jack Chick mode and has some zealoty Aesop. Notably he doesn't believe in evolution, and is convinced no one else does, but that we're all just faking it for unknowable reasons. It is a mystery.)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: May 12, 2016, 05:00:36 pm »

I am in agreement that war declaration while a member of an alliance needs some refining.

I'm very late game in a three member alliance, we hold almost a third of a very large (1000 system) 4 arm spiral galaxy.  Suddenly a new civilization pops up right in the middle of one of my sectors.  This would be okay since it isn't denying me resources that I need, but it is blocking the only lane into the neighboring spiral arm, the lane I built the sector to hold, and I cannot declare war, because it is actually impossible for me to offer anything to satisfy my allies.

Additionally, I can't force them to become my vassals because one of our member-states had war declared on them by a rival nation, and this war promises to drag on for quite some time, since the AI sucks wind at invasion and occupation.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: May 12, 2016, 05:04:20 pm »

rivalry gives the empire a influence bonus but the fun fact is rivalry is not transitive *facepalms*

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: May 12, 2016, 05:20:06 pm »

boy I miss the distant world universe interface, where you can say build this here and ai makes it happen
This. Being able to queue construction would really lower micromanagement.
Shift key. Also you can right click a system and ask it to build all of everything.

That's about the extent of it, and goddamn I wish there was an auto button, but that's better than doing it one by one.

Yeah, but this isn't like Distant Worlds, since in Stellaris you need to have available resources in order to order construction, in every screen. :(
But I've seen videos of people not doing Order Queueing with Shift even on Science ships. Even though they will evade hostile aliens a lot, it just seems crazy not to queue some systems.

I am in agreement that war declaration while a member of an alliance needs some refining.
-snip-

Exactly. I also find it a bit sad you can't bribe people out of alliances, or persuade them into joining yours instead. I've been trying to get any non-Zealot, and non-Hegemonic (and non-Crusaders since they have a bad habit of attacking weak folks) empires to join me, but due to imminent threats they started joining forces with some bad folks that I was aiming to stomp and integrate.
The only current way for me to achieve my goals in these situations is to stomp the friendly people together with the bad people, vassalize the bad ones via war and then make tons of diplomatic efforts with whatever's left of the good folks.

A question, though. If you turn into a Federation, you can't invite new members to it? I saved and tested it and seemingly couldn't invite people anymore, so I reloaded and I keep refusing the Federation vote that everyone else seems really excited in forming.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: May 12, 2016, 05:27:05 pm »

Federations are designed awfully. There's a 'president' position that cycles between the members every 5 years, and the president is the only one who can actually implement anything, but the rest of the federation votes on it.

Federations also have special fleets which can use the tech of all the member states for their ships, but only the president can produce those ships, and if there are ships in construction or queue when the president switches, the resources get eaten by the game. Also, the president has the sole responsibility of supporting the fleet, so if one of the member states is low on resources and suddenly gets a fleet they can't support, it can fuck them over.
Nothing important here, move along.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: May 12, 2016, 05:44:13 pm »

I like the *concept* of federations, the problem is that giving up autonomy doesn't make you any weaker since you're not at odds with your federation buddies.  Instead, it makes the game more annoying to play since you can only do things a quarter of the time.

This is the same thing they did with coalitions in EU4.  They decided they wanted the AI to gang up on human players who are snowballing, and as a result of that they made an alliance system that is far too powerful and has no downsides.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: May 12, 2016, 05:50:27 pm »

Hahaha that's..ridiculously terrible.

I might take a break and wait for patches, because the War and Alliances/Federation part of the game (which I've been doing a lot) has all these quirks which take a ton of real time and effort to circumvent.
There was an alliance of 4 annoying small empires, and it probably has been more than 100 years (~5 wars) and there's still more 4-5 wars worth of territory left from 2 empires to take over, and I have at least 4 allies bordering them invading together. Seems a lot silly.

I've seen a ton of threads about Warscore on steam and forums, so I guess it'll be fixed/balanced soon.

Still, I have a ton of praise for the presentation and systems of the game. You have a ton of options and possibilities to manage pops, and it's cool how many different opinions might arise from far-away colonies. Along with government Ethics, it makes for many varied and dynamic empires, relationships and stories. Always wanted to see that, I love it.

PS: I've been reading that assigning Frontier Outposts to Sectors removes their Influence maintenance cost. Anyone knows this for sure? I've definitely noticed this, but it makes no sense.
Just like sectors can 'generate' negative Energy/Minerals, it should generate negative IPs too, IMO, unless the devs made it so the Sector Government actions don't reflect on your actions.. but that sounds way too RP-ey.
Might be a bug.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:57:01 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: May 12, 2016, 06:47:04 pm »

I think the code that makes sectors pay the costs of things is very generalized and applied too broadly.  I don't know about frontier outposts, but I'm pretty sure you can make sectors pay for the colonization of planets even if they don't actually have enough excess to perform the colonization.  All that will happen is they'll lose the benefits of any stations in their territory for as long as they're in the red.

This being said I really like the sector system.  Every game of this type starts out with all your planets feeling like special little snowflake planets and ends with you not giving a shit about individual planets.  The sector system means that, as you stop caring about individual planets, you stop needing to care as much.  THAT BEING SAID there needs to be a screen that shows you a list of every starport in your empire and allows you to give them orders from that screen.  And you should be able to mark specific starports to be at the top of the list.  The empire screen is insufficient because you cannot give orders from it.  Although FYI you can click on sectors to get a list of every planet in your sector; useful for tracking down that one immigrant pop you want to star a colony with.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: May 12, 2016, 07:15:53 pm »

Yet another question:
What's the benefit of better hyperdrive tech? The hyperdrive components unlocked through research don't actually say what they do in the description or stats. All you see is a decent increase in mineral and power cost.
I'd assume that they enter hyperlanes more quickly/traverse through them more quickly, but the game doesn't actually say anything about it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: May 12, 2016, 08:06:51 pm »

They let you enter and exit the lanes more quickly. In my current game I have Hyperdrive III battleships and they travel crazy - quickly
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: May 12, 2016, 08:22:00 pm »

So there's tech that increases warp distance, right? Because if not I'm stuck in my galactic arm.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: May 12, 2016, 08:25:19 pm »

Yeah, better warp drives can jump further. It caps at level 3, though, so if you're somehow super cut off from other systems, you're pretty screwed.
Nothing important here, move along.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: May 12, 2016, 08:58:53 pm »

anyone know how to delete the stupid double sol that spawns. i really really hate that bug its so immersion breaking. their is no reason that one should have gotten through.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 632