Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677362 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5040 on: July 10, 2017, 11:13:00 am »

The mod you probably want is NovelWarGoals.

Allows you to force them to vacate colonies as a war demand.  ...  Well, there are 2 versions of vacating.
Also gives the option to take their pops as slaves.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:15:35 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: July 10, 2017, 02:34:48 pm »

The mod you probably want is NovelWarGoals.

Allows you to force them to vacate colonies as a war demand.  ...  Well, there are 2 versions of vacating.
Also gives the option to take their pops as slaves.

Can't you already enslave their pops, though, just by setting slavery as your default rights setting and getting planets ceded to you?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: July 10, 2017, 03:49:33 pm »

Takes pops without the planet.  Really, depends on what you want out of the war.  RP or otherwise.  Much cheaper on the war score too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: July 10, 2017, 04:14:56 pm »

Could you use that to make the empire give you pops that aren't/won't be slaves? Like demanding that they return your own people who have been enslaved.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: July 10, 2017, 09:42:58 pm »

I initially typed "inhospitable" but changed "hospitable" to "habitable" without thinking too much.

I did demand the planet be ceded as a war demand, but didn't know that meant I got the planet and its inhabitants as members of my empire. Initially I just wanted the smurfs to get away from my borders. My lizards can't inhabit the planet but the smurfs can. So I now have a colonized planet in my empire that will basically be a planet dedicated to producing slave pops, because they're the only ones who can live there. My lizards need hot planets and the smurfs need cold planets.

It sounds pretty neat though. Xenophobe lizards taking xenophobe blue people as slaves in war and using them to colonize and exploit planets that the lizards can't inhabit. I might start bullying the blue people empire for war slaves every once in a while now.
Once you get genetic modification, you can ship some pops off to a cold planet, modify them to be cold-planet-habitating (and vice-versa for the cold slaves). You only need to do it once per species per planet type, on a planet without any pops except the 2 from colonization (if you have Utopia + traditions), and just designate that world as breeding colonies of slaves and overseers that you then resettle on the worlds you want them on.

So you'll have some superior pops to go on the research facilities and energy plants of the cold worlds your slaves inhabit, and you'll have some hot-world habitating slaves to work the mines and farms of your core worlds. Or depending on the type of slavery, to use as servants or foodstocks or whatever you wish.

If you can't inhabit a cold world at all because you lack the techs, you can take the pops on a fresh colony (which has very few pops on it, thereby lowering the cost) and temporarily give them extremely adaptable and a couple bad traits. Then use them to colonize the cold world, change them up to be the proper traits and proper habitability, and fix the pops on the fresh colony back to non-adaptable and whatever traits you start with.

(this kinda thing is why I like bio-ascension; it's fun to modify your pops!)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:45:50 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: July 11, 2017, 11:44:05 am »

Could you use that to make the empire give you pops that aren't/won't be slaves? Like demanding that they return your own people who have been enslaved.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=687477152

Yes

EDIT:
Alright, so missiles are the shite tier weapon of Stellaris cause PD and probably some other AI shit like overkill ain't it?  It is very very awesome when it comes to blowing up starports...
It is a world of difference between a 12 month bombardment with shite 'L' kinetic weapons on very costly ships versus getting into Torpedo range with my 'S'/'T' Corvettes and watching it melt.

Can't say I hate the visual missile spam either.

... It is either me or they have a very very high chance of hitting Corvettes too.  At least my dodgy type Corvettes tend to melt against missile races and defensive structures.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:42:46 pm by Zangi »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: July 11, 2017, 12:44:24 pm »

(this kinda thing is why I like bio-ascension; it's fun to modify your pops!)

I'm waiting for Capek to try messing with it too much myself; templates look like they'll save me a lot of time.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: July 11, 2017, 05:55:16 pm »

Yeah, I love the idea of missile weapons (and spent most of my current game with them) but they kind of suck.
Firstly point defense murders them. This isn't that big a deal for the most part though due to the fact that for the most part enemy ships don't have any on them.
Secondly, their attacks take forever to actually reach the enemy. Whereas most weapons will reach the enemy functionally instantly. Yes, they do have a longer range but it doesn't really make up for it. During this time your enemies will continue to make attacks like normal because they are ya know, still alive.
Finally, they can overtarget enemies due to their attacks taking forever to reach the enemy (with extra attacks simply exploding after the enemy they target being killed). This means that a substantial portion of damage simply does nothing as its wasted (and watching a bunch of missiles just explode because their target is already dead is quite irritating). This will apparently be fixed when the next patch comes out however.

Note however that Torpedos are explosive weapons they are not quite the same as regular missiles, most notably because they deal damage entirely differently (in that they ignore 50% armor and 100% of shields).

In their defense missile weapons *do* have a very high hit chance though, which does make dodging them much more difficult.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:15:23 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: July 11, 2017, 06:26:36 pm »

Is there much benefit to energy shield ship components like deflectors or shields? It seems they just provide extra hull points in a fight. I don't think I've ever seen a shield recharge during a fight.

Only other benefit I see is some resistance to damage that is weak to shields.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5049 on: July 11, 2017, 06:28:18 pm »

Some weapons (lasers) do much less damage to shields
Ships that don't take hull damage don't need to go repair and will be at full strength once shields regen

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: July 11, 2017, 06:39:22 pm »

There is also a defensive station module that regens the shields of friendly ships in its area. Which is...not all that helpful given that defense stations usually get focus-fired down super fast in fights, but it is a thing I've used a few times. Helps a little bit, especially if you have other stations in the area that might get shot at first.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: July 11, 2017, 06:54:45 pm »

Is there much benefit to energy shield ship components like deflectors or shields? It seems they just provide extra hull points in a fight. I don't think I've ever seen a shield recharge during a fight.

Only other benefit I see is some resistance to damage that is weak to shields.
Sheilds definitely do regenerate in a fight. It is simply that you don't really see it happening typically to the fact that either A) The ship is taking less damage then its shields regen so its effectively taking no damage at all, which is what often happens when enemy focus is split or B) the ship is taking substantially more damage then its regen, so you simply see it losing health and don't see the regen either.

The regen *is* definitely significant (especially on larger ships) however, as is the regen gain from sheild capacitors (with two of them doubling base sheild regen).

They are also different from armor in that they deal with different weapons differently (eg. lasers do less damage against sheilds, disruptors deal far more, torpedos bypass sheilds entirely, while plasma cannons deal significantly less against sheilds but basically ignore armor). If you just have shields or armor enemies *can* (but the AI won't) focus their weapons to ones more effective against you.
Some special enemies also have lots of shields or lots of armor, and its important to pick your weapons against them accordingly.
There is also a defensive station module that regens the shields of friendly ships in its area. Which is...not all that helpful given that defense stations usually get focus-fired down super fast in fights, but it is a thing I've used a few times. Helps a little bit, especially if you have other stations in the area that might get shot at first.
Yeah, its not all that helpful. I personally prefer the ones weaken the enemy ships (eg. -15% fire rate or the -25% enemy sheild health) as well as the default subspace snare to the ones that slightly improve yours.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5052 on: July 12, 2017, 06:16:31 am »

So I peacefully acquired loads of xenos slaves through a hegemonic spiritualist star Empire. I had a species of domestic snek servants keeping all of my pops happy, I had a bunch of strong proletariat bird people (gene modded to be industrious) working on a planet of high mineral wealth providing 348 minerals on one planet, but the rest I didn't have much use for. It seemed rather rude to just purge these pops who had peacefully joined my Empire, so I set about a big relocation scheme. Habitats were constructed that were suited perfectly for their biologies (better than their homeworlds no less), and one by one they were all relocated while my citizen pops slowly took over their planets/terraformed them into gaia worlds (one notable exception to this trend being the snek servants, since they had the irradiated trait they were the most valuable colonists and spread everywhere).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyways after I got them all moved into their nice new habitats, I basically allowed them to do whatever they wanted with no oversight. Sure enough, they started experimenting with new philosophies, engaging in civil unrest, and before long the first slave colony declared independence. I then declared war upon this new colony of freemen (which obviously it had no chance of winning), and gave a fake surrender which ceded the rest of the colonies to this newly founded space Empire. As it is within the core of my Empire, it is safe from all predators outside my protective wings. As it possesses no starport facilities, it cannot create any warships, colony ships or even science vessels to interact with the outside world - effectively forming a curator enclave cluster. In this manner I have found a very silly way to give all of these xenos pops a paradise where they are free to pursue their intellectual pursuits without care for resources or strife, at a cost - being stuck in the self-imposed inward perfection of my Empire for all time. Given the success of this operation, I am tempted to become a fanatical collectivist, collecting all the xenos pops to put in my habitats, to keep them safe from the horrors of the galaxy :]

Helps that the galaxy in this one is pretty horrifying. I lmao'd when my peaceful hive mind neighbour turned into a devouring swarm. They went overnight from an upstanding member of the galactic community to OM NOM NOM NOM

*EDIT
Oh cool
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The xenos enclaves figured can still build troop transports without spaceports, which is something I hadn't considered. Also in the time since I first wrote this post, the liberated xenos decided to form their government... As an authoritarian police state run by the proletariat xenos I put in charge. Well, that's certainly interesting, I reckon given that most of the xenos there are strong gene-modded ex-workers turned scientists, if I just turn them into a protectorate I can have a reliable source of auxiliary troops - and before long, their advanced labs will allow them to turn themselves into quite the tiny technological giant.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:32:22 am by Loud Whispers »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: July 12, 2017, 10:20:27 am »

A pity that habitats are... indestructible?  (Or is it?)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: July 12, 2017, 11:31:14 am »

@Loud Whispers: That is brilliant and I kinda want to do that now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 632