Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678609 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5820 on: February 22, 2018, 02:26:16 am »

Well, that's why my sectors were going so well. Each one had 50+ inhabited planets, which meant the AI had enough resources to upgrade buildings as soon as new technology came online. Their energy stockpiles were generally capped at ~24k each, which I would sometimes go through and raid before talking to the friendly local trade guild about their vast reserves of mineral wealth.  :P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: February 22, 2018, 09:06:21 am »

It is now downloading as I type.
The excitement is real.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5822 on: February 22, 2018, 09:09:20 am »

Curse my schedule. I won't be able to play until much later

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: February 22, 2018, 11:05:20 am »

I am a bit sad that the game still don't allow Corporate Dominions to be able to have xeno livestock.
I just want to be able to play as RuptureFarms damnit!
Ah well, maybe by the next DLC/expansion/update.. I can at least have hope, right?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:07:05 am by Ultimuh »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: February 22, 2018, 11:31:09 am »

I am a bit sad that the game still don't allow Corporate Dominions to be able to have xeno livestock.
Ah well, maybe by the next DLC/expansion/update.. I can at least have hope, right?
You could maybe mod it. Doesn't sound like it'd be too hard.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: February 22, 2018, 11:42:11 am »

You could maybe mod it. Doesn't sound like it'd be too hard.
Yeah, I know. Maybe I should look into that.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: February 22, 2018, 05:23:19 pm »

Well, that's why my sectors were going so well. Each one had 50+ inhabited planets, which meant the AI had enough resources to upgrade buildings as soon as new technology came online. Their energy stockpiles were generally capped at ~24k each, which I would sometimes go through and raid before talking to the friendly local trade guild about their vast reserves of mineral wealth.  :P

My god.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: February 22, 2018, 08:37:37 pm »

Just played some new update and.... god this "build a space station at every single place you wanna scrape resources out of / you don't wanna leave as a hole in your space" change to territory is a w f u l. Especially since every stop gives you a 2% hit to unity. Construct five  stations? Your racial modifier is now cancelled out. It's just more tedious busywork in a game with too much busywork.

Most of the other changes seem nice, although I did spawn with three Slaving Despot neighbours with identical me-hating ethics as a pacifist federation-builder. That was surprising.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:59 pm »

Eh, I prefer it to the "lol gotta inflate my magic property bubble" approach. Had enough of that with GalCiv. The hyper-only early game also makes it pretty simple: find neighbors, build outposts out to block choke points, backfill later.

As for the cost: that's the benefit of going tall, eh? Besides, colonies are a 16% cost increase. You're not really meant to max the trees fast. I'm only a couple years in with two colonies and ~15 systems but I still have two trees and 4 nodes unlocked.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: February 22, 2018, 10:54:27 pm »

Just played some new update and.... god this "build a space station at every single place you wanna scrape resources out of / you don't wanna leave as a hole in your space" change to territory is a w f u l. Especially since every stop gives you a 2% hit to unity. Construct five  stations? Your racial modifier is now cancelled out. It's just more tedious busywork in a game with too much busywork.

Most of the other changes seem nice, although I did spawn with three Slaving Despot neighbours with identical me-hating ethics as a pacifist federation-builder. That was surprising.
Well that explains why my one planet inward perfection build wasn't really working.

I think it's as fun a mechanic as Stellaris ever has, though.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: February 22, 2018, 11:15:58 pm »

I want to like it, but I honestly really dislike the new system of claiming territory. It adds yet another thing to balance minerals with, you have to constantly build new stations to stay competitive and to continue gathering resources.

Like, if the system was less “manual” or just more sparse I would prefer it, but right now it makes the early game “babysit your construction ships: the game”.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: February 23, 2018, 08:40:32 am »

Do keep in mind that because military construction and territory claiming has been shifted to stations, you no longer have to spam colonies, which effectively reduces early game resource strain and makes core planet limits much less annoying.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5832 on: February 23, 2018, 08:50:27 am »

Played the new update for a few hours last night. War is far far more entertaining. I was able to capture a large swath of enemy territory and get the income from it while still at war, using that income I was able to press the war further. It's interesting having to consider logistics of fleet reinforcement and repair. Fleets can repair at any starbase but can only upgrade at a shipyard. I had to build a new starbase close to the front with two shipyard lines in order to get reinforcements to the front quickly and give them a safe place to anchor for repairs. The shipyard was assaulted a few times but held as I had built 8 defense platforms around it and it could take on a medium sized fleet all on its own.

It's also really important to grab chokepoints and crossroads, maybe moreso than grabbing resources. I was able to completely isolate one empire by snatching an important chokehold, relegating them to stagnation in a little backwater hyperlane structure. I later made them a vassal and we became good friends once I had forced them to adopt my government.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: February 23, 2018, 09:20:36 am »

Do keep in mind that because military construction and territory claiming has been shifted to stations, you no longer have to spam colonies, which effectively reduces early game resource strain and makes core planet limits much less annoying.

yes, "core planet limits" are much less annoying while an entirely new mechanic has been created that generates vastly more amounts of micromanagement and annoyance.

having to individually build every starbase in every system is exactly the bullshit i thought it would be.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: February 23, 2018, 09:51:26 am »

I like it and the pace is better now. Ships got more weight in some sense.

Yes, the expansion micro is a bit annoying, but it's basically not worse than manual mining, exploration etc. If you have a good flow of influence it's just a matter of right and shift-clicking.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 632