Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678695 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8370 on: January 30, 2020, 01:48:44 pm »

I get around opposing ethics by having a wide selection of my own custom factions forced into the game, that way I can get a more random shotgun blast of ethics

This is a good idea, and something I'll consider next time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: January 30, 2020, 03:58:55 pm »

I have less custom factions now than I used to, but they show up a lot and tend to dominate (to my pride and sometimes annoyance).

Particularly this odd race of Egalitarian Xenophobes++.  I'm honestly a bit confused at how effective they seem to be in AI hands.  They were supposed to be a test of "egalitarian slavers" who live in Utopian Abundance while lesser races do all the work.  Yet for some reason I gave them Mining Guilds and... Byzantine Bureaucracy?  Solid picks, but why not Syncretic?

I think the race picks explain their success:  Rapid Breeders, Communal, and Traditional with Nonadaptive.  Combined with Xenophobe birth rate and outpost cost, it kinda makes sense.  Still kinda odd.  I wonder if they're even slaving- *checks*

gdsdmit

I finally learned not to sign migration treaties with Authoritarians, and I forgot the obvious dang corollary.
Why do so many pops migrate into slavery, what is wrong with them!??  It's not kinky anymore it's just weird!  I meet all their needs and run that +Immigration Draw edict, heck some of these species left Utopian Abundance to go work for slaving butterflies.  GAAH!

I kinda love the sheer awkwardness whenever I notice this happening, it's so bizarre.  Agh...  the perils of naive Xenophilia.  At least this pretends to explain why they agreed to federate with us, laughing the whole time.

Like, I can't even be mad, this is really on us.  And it *keeps happening* XD

oh also that Q&A is super intriguing.  Perhaps a Galactic ban on slavery is just what my citizens and I need to save us from our derpiness.  I expect it to be rebalanced a few times after launch, because it seems like a very ambitious new system, but I'm very interested!

Also the edict to make people move to the places where jobs are seems
like it should already be a thing
better late than never
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8372 on: January 30, 2020, 04:11:27 pm »

Don't kink shame, some people just want to live under the iron rule of the grax galorians

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: January 30, 2020, 04:47:08 pm »

You prohibit slavery for the whole galaxy, and I'll be over here making it mandatory to ensure a market.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: January 30, 2020, 08:44:15 pm »

And I'll found Black Hole Markets: A place where discerning civilizations can set up their colonies free from Galactic surveillance, most likely by connecting a wormhole to someplace that is not actually in the galaxy.

...or since we're talking about catering to slavers, I'm more likely to set up a fleet around a black hole, where I charge ships to fly into, and provide a shiny red button that is guaranteed to bring them back.  Nobody has complained that it doesn't work, thus it must work, right?  ;D

I have a little respect for those pops: While I wouldn't want to get enslaved by aliens, I think if I did that I'd chose the butterflies over everyone else.  Sure, they might hurt people that don't work hard enough, not pay them for their work, and generally be complete assholes, but they're too cute to hold it against them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: January 31, 2020, 04:27:01 am »

I have a little respect for those pops: While I wouldn't want to get enslaved by aliens, I think if I did that I'd chose the butterflies over everyone else.  Sure, they might hurt people that don't work hard enough, not pay them for their work, and generally be complete assholes, but they're too cute to hold it against them.

But they're fanatic xenophobes, so you probably won't get to sleep with one. :(
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8376 on: January 31, 2020, 07:23:11 am »

And I'll found Black Hole Markets: A place where discerning civilizations can set up their colonies free from Galactic surveillance, most likely by connecting a wormhole to someplace that is not actually in the galaxy.

...or since we're talking about catering to slavers, I'm more likely to set up a fleet around a black hole, where I charge ships to fly into, and provide a shiny red button that is guaranteed to bring them back.  Nobody has complained that it doesn't work, thus it must work, right?  ;D

I've rarely ever had so much fun as when I played as THE VOID civilisation.

I started off with the pre-FTL mod and a whole bunch of other civilisations, in addition to a mod which allowed you to build/sever hyperlane links and my own mod which just disabled communications spread (meaning, to communicate with someone, you had to border them, and things like the great khan awakening or a crisis did not automatically contact you).

My civilisation were purifiers but there was no one else in the galaxy we could notice, or cared to notice, as we were not keen on exploring & making contact with alien civilisations (indeed the two we did encounter were glassed). We began colonising one nebula which was connected by a wormhole to another one, very quickly severing the hyperlanes with the rest of the galaxy. The other civs were starting to discover FTL and send out explorers, we had little time to remain uncontacted.

We transfer all of our population into the nebula, leaving behind an alien species on our homeworld capital, which we promptly exterminated. This left our capital as a ghost world full of advanced alien infrastructure, and many skeletons of an advanced alien species. For any intrepid archaeologists however, these alien species would be a red herring, as the real creators had already departed.

Hyperlanes, dyson spheres, research stations and fortresses were constructed everywhere throughout our systems. For centuries we amassed our armada in blissful solitude, unaware and uncaring of the changing galaxy around us. No one could warp in, but we could warp out - and we watched with amusement as alien civilisations inherited our old worlds, keeping our infrastructure intact.

The Great Khanates rose and fell thrice, and the purifiers did not care to intervene. The prethoryn scoured the fringe worlds awakening the fallen empires and still, the purifiers did not deign to intervene. A war in heaven broke out as the galaxy was split in two, and the purifiers continued with their peaceful ways. At last the galaxy was divided between a devouring swarm, a gargantuan federation and a few independent warlords, and despite all of their developments, ascensions and singularities - for four hundred years there was a gap in the middle of the map.

Theoretically it should be possible to access this nebula, but no one could scan it. No one could travel into it. Ships gave it a wide berth because it was the ghost nebula, and no one had successfully found a way to navigate it and survive.
Astronomers watched with curiosity at this negative space of the cosmos, wondering at its opacity.

Then the armada arrived, and the cycle continued anew. Whole worlds were scoured and brought to ruin, and in the blink of an eye a galaxy was rendered lifeless. On each barren, lifeless world a sapient species was seeded. In time the cycle would continue again!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: January 31, 2020, 10:18:14 am »

The AI doesn't use the build/sever lane feature?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8378 on: January 31, 2020, 12:25:43 pm »

The AI doesn't use the build/sever lane feature?
It doesn't know how to, but in this case even multiplayer wouldn't work. You can only build/sever lanes in two systems you control, but if you sever all lanes going into a nebula, then all 3rd party star empires will never be able to explore the nebula. Assuming no communication spread, they will not even be able to jump into the star system as the nebula will forever be unexplored for them

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8379 on: January 31, 2020, 12:36:29 pm »

Is that mod limiting communication spread available for use? If so, what is it called?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8380 on: January 31, 2020, 09:32:42 pm »

Not sure if someone else made one, but it was very easy to make. I just playtested and remove all code lines for events which added communications without discovery, or without direct contact

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: February 02, 2020, 04:20:48 pm »

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with purging?  I got the Prethoryn scourge in my current game, and they conquered a planet with 60 pops.  20 years later and they still haven't finished purging it.  I've seen the population increase multiple times, which I am assuming is the empire resettling pops to the doomed planet.

On that note, I think the scourge is easily the weakest crisis right now.  It takes them decades to infest planets because of this, and so the scourge doesn't grow in power unless you're very slow to respond.  I sat in my borders for over a decade hoping to see the crisis grow some in power, but got bored and just went to go stomp them.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: February 03, 2020, 03:08:50 am »

Purging takes multiple months per pop, and only one pop can be purged at a time. I'm not sure how long it takes exactly, but over a decade to clear a 60 pop world sounds about right. I'd say it's working as designed, but not designed very well.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: February 03, 2020, 09:44:39 am »

Based on my observations it took 3 months per pop to purge them, since it had 35% progress per month.  That much is working as designed, and is probably not super unrealistic.  Killing tens of billions of people should take a while.

What seems to be broken is that the AI is definitely able to resettle pops onto a planet they don't control and which is experiencing extermination purging.  I don't know if players can do this, but I watched with great frustration as the planet's population went from 2 to 7 over the course of a year or so because I took back several of the empire's other planets such that its overall pop growth exceeded the purge rate again.  I'm reasonably sure that shouldn't be possible.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: February 03, 2020, 09:47:19 am »

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with purging?  I got the Prethoryn scourge in my current game, and they conquered a planet with 60 pops.  20 years later and they still haven't finished purging it.  I've seen the population increase multiple times, which I am assuming is the empire resettling pops to the doomed planet.

getting purged is literally a job, that all the "getting purged pops" work. this also means that things that affect "job output" or specific resource output also affect purge output like stability

however, the only pop that actually gets removed is the pop in the "declining" pop slot.

it's actually extremely overpowered and a very good idea to move all the pops you're trying to purge to a single "dinner planet" (or whatever you methodology for purging is)

for example:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:52:17 am by ZeroGravitas »
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 632