Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 777

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 853794 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4920 on: November 18, 2018, 05:53:43 pm »

Y'know what? Fuck it. If my caseworker doesn't feel the need to inform me of when he signs me up for some random shit and just wait for me to find out about it when I get an automated reminder message sent to my phone, then I don't need to inform him of my deciding against continuing with said random shit.

"So I see you're not making use of the opportunity we've provided, why is that?"

"Oh, I see you've not deigned to contact me about anything regarding this until now, why is that?"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4921 on: November 18, 2018, 05:56:00 pm »

Y'know what? Fuck it. If my caseworker doesn't feel the need to inform me of when he signs me up for some random shit and just wait for me to find out about it when I get an automated reminder message sent to my phone, then I don't need to inform him of my deciding against continuing with said random shit.

"So I see you're not making use of the opportunity we've provided, why is that?"

"Oh, I see you've not deigned to contact me about anything regarding this until now, why is that?"
While I wish you luck, I feel like the power differential makes this maybe not a great idea.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: won't be moderated edition
« Reply #4922 on: November 21, 2018, 06:28:26 am »

Managed to fuck up my left shoulder/part of my neck last night, and we have precisely zero tiger balm/dit da jow, or even any hand towels to soak with hot water (I wrangled something together earlier with a much larger towel, but it was understandable awkward).

It's weird, growing up in the house of a former physical therapist who trained under a shiatsu practitioner, we always had a variety of salves, ointments, and other such stuff lying around...

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: November 22, 2018, 01:47:37 am »

See if the local international grocer sells green oil if they don't have tiger balm. Eagle brand is the one we use. Has the menthol, etc.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: November 22, 2018, 08:08:22 am »

Managed to fuck up my left shoulder/part of my neck last night, and we have precisely zero tiger balm/dit da jow, or even any hand towels to soak with hot water (I wrangled something together earlier with a much larger towel, but it was understandable awkward).

It's weird, growing up in the house of a former physical therapist who trained under a shiatsu practitioner, we always had a variety of salves, ointments, and other such stuff lying around...

Do you have the.. uuuuuuuunguents? The moooooooiiiist uuuuunguents?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: November 23, 2018, 02:11:26 pm »

See if the local international grocer sells green oil if they don't have tiger balm. Eagle brand is the one we use. Has the menthol, etc.
Turkish grocer across the street had bugger all, closest thing I could find was pure clove oil... Which, aside from a bunch of generic hand soaps and moisturizers, was the only thing with a recommended topical application. I can check the Vietnamese grocer up the way, but I think they're almost entirely food-related stuff.

On the plus side, my shoulder's gotten a lot better on its own by this point...

Do you have the.. uuuuuuuunguents? The moooooooiiiist uuuuunguents?
This is bothering me... What's this from again? It's not The Brothers Grunt, is it?

As for the social system fuckery, I ended up actually sending a fairly snippy message asking when exactly my caseworker figured it'd be a good time to tell me that I'd been signed up for such a thing (and that the one dude went around personally snapping at anyone who hadn't signed up yet). I ended up getting a response back from not-my-caseworker saying that I'd basically just been signed up by mistake, as there was an automatic registration process that cast a fairly wide net (this also explains how a few of the people at this "work opportunity" meeting couldn't really make the time slot work because they already had jobs), and he apologized for the mixup. He's not even the dude I have a history of being pissed at. Felt a bit guilty there.

I have no idea if he's actually taken over my account from the previous dude, or if the two times I've encountered this individual have just coincidentally been times when my primary caseworker is on vacation. Certainly wouldn't be the first time I've been dropped in someone else's lap without getting notified about it (or simply dropped off someone's lap and into a blank abyss because the only available person hadn't finished their job training yet and so I had to wait a few weeks for her to finish her education before I could do anything), but I got the impression that my (previous?) primary caseworker likes taking vacations relatively often as well, so who knows.

All I know is that he signs text messages and has an incredibly bizarre name.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: November 23, 2018, 02:17:39 pm »

The vietnamese grocer should have something, yeh.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread
« Reply #4927 on: November 25, 2018, 03:46:02 pm »

My home theater setup is offline.  I think it's my in-wall HDMI cable, since I can't even get the on-screen menu from my receiver to show on the screen, and changing what I have plugged into the sending end of the cable doesn't change it (e.g., if I plug directly into my console).

It's been flickering on and off the past week or so - I thought it was just a loose connection or something, but maybe the cable itself is just toast.  (How does a cable that sits unmoving in the wall fail? Unless a mouse eats it, I dunno...)

I'm annoyed because I don't have an easy way to move things around to check either, and I don't have another long HDMI cable to swap out at the moment.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: November 25, 2018, 04:15:56 pm »

My home theater setup is offline.  I think it's my in-wall HDMI cable, since I can't even get the on-screen menu from my receiver to show on the screen, and changing what I have plugged into the sending end of the cable doesn't change it (e.g., if I plug directly into my console).

It's been flickering on and off the past week or so - I thought it was just a loose connection or something, but maybe the cable itself is just toast.  (How does a cable that sits unmoving in the wall fail? Unless a mouse eats it, I dunno...)

I'm annoyed because I don't have an easy way to move things around to check either, and I don't have another long HDMI cable to swap out at the moment.

Well my mum's house had a similar yet vastly more dangerous situation a while back involving her light fittings. The power cables' coating had perished from age and some idiot employed by the local council to replace her central heating system had left a bundle of copper pipes under the floorboards. Over time the bundle had shifted due to HGVs and bin trucks causing vibrations and a copper pipe had bridged the circuit, thankfully my mum noticed the lights not working before a fire happened.

TL:DR
Cables do degrade and perish over time. And heavy vehicles going by can cause them to move around.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: November 25, 2018, 05:07:11 pm »

The cable and receiver are both only about a year old.  I don't think that should degrade that fast. I blame modern "low cost" manufacturing.

So I moved the easy bit (PS4) and connected direct to TV with a short cable and it works fine.  So that definitely points at the in-wall cable.  I have tried to get ARC to work, but no go... so I'm stuck with cruddy built-in TV speakers for the moment until I can get a new cable and pull it through.  Fun.

Interestingly the bits of the HDMI cable that let the TV control the stereo work, but ARC and video don't.  Blah.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: November 26, 2018, 06:50:37 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:10:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: November 27, 2018, 03:10:16 am »

This is somewhere between a sad, WTF and frustration.
My internet decided to suddenly and severely shit itself, after having been working fine for the past... while.
No amount of restarting both my laptop and/or the router would fix it like usual. Very frustrating indeed. I resorted to reading a book and angrily snacking instead, checking back on it every so often.

Then, after a while of this I walked from the bed (where I was sitting reading 'cause I still don't have a decent armchair for some reason) to the laptop to check it again, gobbling down a few more of these tasty lentil twist things as I went. Somehow I managed to inhale some of it - and this is a rather spicy snackfood. It's always brutal when hot food goes down the wrong way, and this was no exception.
Cue about five minutes or more of coughing and choking in varying degrees of intensity. I had a glass of water in my room, but somehow I managed to pour that straight into my airways as well, making everything worse. Fortunately I still had enough water left to un-choke-ify myself, but things were still very unpleasant for a while there.       

Pretty sure my internet is still fucked... I just lost a pretty sweet Drawception drawing just when it seemed to be working again. :(   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: November 27, 2018, 03:19:24 am »

Have you reset your cablemodem/dsl modem/Fiber gateway to its defaults? (Push the little button on the device for 10 to 20 seconds, and do the full factory reset procedure?)

This is a glorious era, in which these devices get compromised into botnets and start doing horrible things you know.  Resetting to factory defaults wipes and refreshes their JFFS2 storage, and resets their NVRAM parameters, which should at least temporarily undo the handiwork of hackers should this be the case.

The DSL abomination I have is literally just 2 lines of console away(1) from having fully writable JFFS2 storage, for instance.  It looks painfully easy to pwn, but I really dont have a quality way to properly secure it. (All the better foss firmwares break ADSL functionality horribly, and I kinda need that to work...) 

(1)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:27:20 am by wierd »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: November 27, 2018, 09:44:31 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:03:35 pm by JoshuaFH »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: November 27, 2018, 03:29:34 pm »

Good morning I guess.
I know I had some exciting, dramatic dream with lashings of mystery and a li'l bit of violence, but details, I have none. No matter how I tried to summon them to memory immediately after waking up, I came up with nothing. I suppose it didn't help that I was a bit cold and was blasted immediately awake from dozing by the blaring alarm of my cheapy phone.

Also I got up an hour early intentionally, but I feel like I've barely slept at all... not sure if that's more due to the amount of hectic dreaming I was doing or cold and inadequate blanket coverage that's to blame. Probably both. Coffee is a thing that I need and am having. Glad I put my alarm this early or I'd have no chance of getting the things I'm supposed to do done.   

Have you reset your cablemodem/dsl modem/Fiber gateway to its defaults? (Push the little button on the device for 10 to 20 seconds, and do the full factory reset procedure?)

Ooh, thanks for the tip. It's working fine again now (I think it was just the area getting overloaded at what must be peak-usage times for normal people or something, coupled with both the physical network and our ISP being kinda dodgy), but I'll bear that in mind for future use.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 777