Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 777

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 853782 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8745 on: March 29, 2021, 05:46:24 pm »

My friends are getting into relationships. This is great, yes. I am delighted for them.

But it makes me feel like the world is changing and rushing along very fast and going to shift

and this makes me very uncomfortable

The sad thing about our society is that it isn't very accommodating to people outside of the norm. It takes the pettiest differences and warps them until you think you're the one that has something wrong with them.

So you're a late bloomer. It's nothing to be ashamed of. We are technically a minority, but we are a sizable one. There's all sorts of reasons why you haven't found someone yet. The biggest one I can think of is that WE'RE IN A FUCKING PANDEMIC AND MOST OF US ARE EITHER LOCKED INDOORS OR WORKING TWO EXHAUSTING JOBS IN A DESPERATE BID TO SURVIVE!

This isn't really the time for love.

Special circumstances aside, if your tastes are any more specific than the average piece of Instagram trash, then you will have a harder time finding someone simply because you have a smaller pool of suitable dates.

It also hurts if you don't get out much. The less people you meet on a regular basis, the less likely you are to find someone. It's simple math. There's this whole group of people predisposed to this kind of lifestyle. We call them introverts.

It's a very normal thing. It's nothing to be ashamed of no matter what the world implies.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: March 29, 2021, 06:24:26 pm »

I got family that didn't meet their significant other until they were in their mid-30's. They have two kids now, happy as can be.

Take your time. You're fine the way you are. Don't worry, be happy.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: March 29, 2021, 08:40:04 pm »

The sad thing about our society is that it isn't very accommodating to people outside of the norm. It takes the pettiest differences and warps them until you think you're the one that has something wrong with them.

I don't even know if it's correct to consider "society" as a homogeneous monolithic group. It isn't. What you're describing as "society" is actually mainstream society, but even then, it's hard to say what mainstream society wants out of you. It's too inconsistent and changes too fast to be worth it. As far as I'm concerned, it is not possible to determine whether you are perfectly conforming to societal norms. Hell, I don't think there exists anyone who conforms perfectly to society; even major celebrities have some kind of niche where they're most popular. I'd suggest ignoring stuff beyond the basics, picking the ones you like, and completely ignoring the ones you don't.

And outside of the mainstream, you have all these smaller groups that all have their own ideas about how to act. Often, their expectations conflict with society in some way, and they even conflict with each other; no consistency. Don't think we're exempt from that. We are one of those smaller groups. We still have some expectations of how one ought to act, however loose they are; it's just that we're comfortable conforming to some of those expectations.

You just can't win. Pleasing one group leads to displeasing at least one other group. Attempting to please everyone will only lead to pleasing no one.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: March 29, 2021, 08:55:58 pm »

Optionally, the body of friends and acquaintances you can elbow asking if they've got other cute single friends has now effectively doubled, so your network has grown without any personal input at all!

Dating is weird and complicated, not to mention a lot of work, and depending on where you live, it can seem an uphill battle if your ideologies don't align with the local flavor. More on the friendship dynamic, though, that can definitely shift if they start paying more attention to their partners and less on their friends, which can be shitty. You'll still be no less a friend to them (and maybe have more friends if they're cognizant of this trap), y'just might need to prod them a little bit more for events or attention.

Your people aren't changing, at least, but you may end up revisiting these feelings when your friends are getting married and having kids. x_x

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: March 30, 2021, 11:16:25 am »

My friends are getting into relationships. This is great, yes. I am delighted for them.

But it makes me feel like the world is changing and rushing along very fast and going to shift

and this makes me very uncomfortable

So you're a late bloomer. It's nothing to be ashamed of. We are technically a minority, but we are a sizable one. There's all sorts of reasons why you haven't found someone yet. The biggest one I can think of is that WE'RE IN A FUCKING PANDEMIC AND MOST OF US ARE EITHER LOCKED INDOORS OR WORKING TWO EXHAUSTING JOBS IN A DESPERATE BID TO SURVIVE!

This isn't really the time for love.

Special circumstances aside, if your tastes are any more specific than the average piece of Instagram trash, then you will have a harder time finding someone simply because you have a smaller pool of suitable dates.

It also hurts if you don't get out much. The less people you meet on a regular basis, the less likely you are to find someone. It's simple math. There's this whole group of people predisposed to this kind of lifestyle. We call them introverts.

It's a very normal thing. It's nothing to be ashamed of no matter what the world implies.

This is true, but a separate problem. I wasn't posting about being sad or ashamed about being "a late bloomer" (though I often feel that too) but just the feeling of change created by the people around me getting into relationships. The focus is change, not necessarily being "left behind." I might have the same world-is-rushing-out-of-control feeling if I learned someone was interested in me, for instance.

Optionally, the body of friends and acquaintances you can elbow asking if they've got other cute single friends has now effectively doubled, so your network has grown without any personal input at all!

Dating is weird and complicated, not to mention a lot of work, and depending on where you live, it can seem an uphill battle if your ideologies don't align with the local flavor. More on the friendship dynamic, though, that can definitely shift if they start paying more attention to their partners and less on their friends, which can be shitty. You'll still be no less a friend to them (and maybe have more friends if they're cognizant of this trap), y'just might need to prod them a little bit more for events or attention.

Your people aren't changing, at least, but you may end up revisiting these feelings when your friends are getting married and having kids. x_x

I'll keep this in mind.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:18:02 am by Eschar »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: March 30, 2021, 12:37:09 pm »

I feel this forum as a whole attracts smart people who have well-defined interests.

That can make having a "wow" moment with someone difficult.

But persevere! There are other smart, interesting people out there.  ;)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: March 30, 2021, 01:57:59 pm »

I feel this forum as a whole attracts smart people who have well-defined interests.
pffffth there are only angry dwarves and the occasional elf here
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: March 30, 2021, 02:02:34 pm »

I mean at some point they had to be stubborn enough to not only learn DF, but actually maybe like it enough.

And then at some point migrate from top forum to bottom forum.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: March 30, 2021, 02:17:40 pm »

There are some good tutorials out there for DF. Though I do still think DF is challenging, I think its difficulty is way overstated.

I find RTS games harder.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: March 30, 2021, 03:02:00 pm »

There are some good tutorials out there for DF. Though I do still think DF is challenging, I think its difficulty is way overstated.

I find RTS games harder.

In all honesty, DF isn't hard at all.  Like just getting food drink and living quarters down and your fort will live a couple years or more probably.  Especially now when the usual awful stuff like goblins actually have to travel to the fort to attack it, so you aren't attacked every year.

It's just the sin of a (nearly) one-man game project having ugly, spartan UI, because a lot of programmers aren't visual UI people (and that's okay).  From the Depths suffers the same way, it has a bizarre and ugly UI but actually building a functional craft or gun isn't that hard.  Once you learn how the game tells you information and how to tell it to do basic tasks you're 75% of the way to doing anything in dwarf fort.

Honestly the biggest roadblocks are assigning jobs to dwarfs without an external spreadsheet program like dwarf therapist (especially with big big migrant waves), or setting up a proper, useful military that actually trains correctly.

Another issue, at least that I had is that, outside of outright announcing when megabeasts, seiges, or werebeasts spawn on the map, the game barely alerts you if the dwarfs are under attack, for example from hostile wildlife.  I've literally had an ogre just walk into the fort and go to poundtown and I didn't know until I was actually looking at the fort interior and seeing the unwelcome guest, or the game not really inform me that the cavern river designated for fishing is now full of cave alligators, until I actually view the combat record or for whatever reason idlily watch my fishermen.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: March 30, 2021, 03:53:22 pm »

The smart people thing is true until we get into a drunk shouting match with each other about whether Darth Vader or Scooby Doo would win in the wacky races or some shit, and how it relates metaphorically to Ameripol.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: March 30, 2021, 04:01:36 pm »

The smart people thing is true until we get into a drunk shouting match with each other about whether Darth Vader or Scooby Doo would win in the wacky races or some shit, and how it relates metaphorically to Ameripol.

So is Darth Vader standing in as Dick Dastardly, and Scoob is Muttley?

And I've said before, Dick Dastardly would win if he just didn't insist on cheating.  I mean, most all of his cheating schemes require him to be ahead of everyone else so they drive into the trap.  And the episode titles imply an A-to-B race, not a circuit, so it's not like Dick is waiting for his opponents to overlap him or something.

Not to mention that one Scoob movie saying wacky races and Scooby Doo is actually the same cinematic universe.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: March 30, 2021, 05:30:33 pm »

Was that the one where Shaggie turned into a werewolf and had to race to become human again?

oof straight in the childhood

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: March 30, 2021, 05:30:58 pm »

So is Darth Vader standing in as Dick Dastardly, and Scoob is Muttley?

And I've said before, Dick Dastardly would win if he just didn't insist on cheating.  I mean, most all of his cheating schemes require him to be ahead of everyone else so they drive into the trap.  And the episode titles imply an A-to-B race, not a circuit, so it's not like Dick is waiting for his opponents to overlap him or something.

Not to mention that one Scoob movie saying wacky races and Scooby Doo is actually the same cinematic universe.

In this case they'd be racing against each other. Also this is Hanna-Barbara, so likely Vader would be their special guest alongside all other racers, including Dick Dastardly. Perhaps they would team up?

Also, does Scooby get his whole gang, or is it just, say, Scoob and Shaggy? Furthermore, if Shaggy and Scooby are the rivals of Vader and Dastardly, does this make Shaggy a Jedi?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: March 30, 2021, 06:47:06 pm »

Scoob would be the force sensitive, probably, not shaggy. Shaggy would just be a remarkably stoned stormtrooper clone.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 777