Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858314 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8865 on: April 27, 2021, 09:07:23 pm »

Oh no, I didn't mean to offend! It's how I think of myself sometimes with my own encroachment concerns- I went to visit my folks at my childhood home and even still I knocked even though the door was unlocked, I was expected, and precisely on time for my visit.

I've got other encroachment concerns about influencing people with my own emotional desires or imposing my will in what should be objective personal choices in interpersonal handlings, like with relationship things. Like, if you want to be involved with someone but want them to make the best decision about their involvement based on where they're at in life, how do you promote their best choice when you're the consequence and condition of it? Ungh.

Maybe I'm the emotional vampire, here to sup on that warm human connection?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:12:02 pm by None »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: April 28, 2021, 01:05:18 am »

It's always a kind of hell when you're constantly evaluating "am I overstaying my welcome?" over and over like I think we both are. I currently prefer to just say that it's an undecidable problem. No solution can ever exist, and no procedure can exist that could solve it. I've resigned myself to thinking that socialization is just a form of throwing dice, and hoping that you end up with more good results than bad ones on average. It's all probabilistic.

I mean, we're all emotional vampires, no? We all crave validation and attention from others. I'll posit that we're all just black boxes, taking in some continuous stream as input, and generating a different stream as output. The black box gets lonely without external input from other black boxes like it. Thus, we kinda do need to feed on that human connection; it's how we get external input to feed the black box that is us.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:08:13 am by methylatedspirit »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: April 28, 2021, 07:47:47 pm »

I woke up really cranky today. I can't point my irritation at anything, but I really just wanna tell everyone, "Fuck you!". Line up all the people I've met, and just carpet-bomb them with F-bombs. I wanna punch walls today.

...and I now have yet another reason to avoid caffeine.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: April 29, 2021, 06:39:22 am »

Hate chesty colds. They always make me feel a little short of breath (I assume it's because it's messing with my asthma somewhat) which is fine for a short while. When you feel like that for hours on end it becomes incredibly uncomfortable.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: May 01, 2021, 06:22:10 am »

I think I might ask too much of myself.

There's a Vietnamese takeaway place nearby that I love ordering from. It's good food, and the family that runs the place is great.

But I have a really hard time actually placing an order and going to pick it up, because I get anxious about my Vietnamese pronunciation. I don't speak Vietnamese. There is absolutely no requirement for me to speak Vietnamese when getting food there. I just decided for myself that I needed to make an attempt at putting in as much as I could manage in order to show respect for the language and culture, and as a result I order less frequently because I'm insecure about making it sound right.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: May 02, 2021, 07:05:01 pm »

I don't think they'll feel any less respected if you just speak to them in your own language.

Trying to speak an immigrant's language might even give off a wrong signal. 'Your english sucks so I'll try to speak to you in your own language'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: May 02, 2021, 07:19:21 pm »

They probably value your patronage more than your ability to speak their own language.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: May 02, 2021, 10:38:56 pm »

They probably value your patronage more than your ability to speak their own language.

“Your money spends just as well regardless of your ability to make a fool of yourself.”

At least if you do make a fool of yourself you get good food out of the bargain, as well as warm fuzzies for supporting local business.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: May 02, 2021, 10:52:09 pm »

I think my programming class broke me a bit with multiple selection questions. Give me a break, teach, I'm not GCC nor a CPU that GCC supports! I guess from now on, I'll do the quizzes with one half of my screen the quiz, and the other half Dev C++.

I got 1st place, somehow, but at the cost of my pride. I'm not being graded on it, but it still stings.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: May 04, 2021, 06:05:06 am »

I don't think they'll feel any less respected if you just speak to them in your own language.

Trying to speak an immigrant's language might even give off a wrong signal. 'Your english sucks so I'll try to speak to you in your own language'.

Oh nah, she knows where I'm coming from... I just make an attempt to fit in a "Hello" and "thank you" and maybe even try actually pronouncing the name of one of the things I'm ordering instead of just listing off the number. Her Norwegian is considerably better than my Vietnamese :P

I just feel like I should make the attempt to approach her language, since she went through the (considerable) trouble to actually learn mine enough to communicate. We've also talked a little bit about how I'd like to go there someday, and she enjoy suggesting new things for me to try out. It's seemed like she's tickled by my attempts at speaking Vietnamese, but then again she's already very entertained by my ordering habits so I dunno if she just finds me funny as a general rule...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: May 04, 2021, 08:36:58 am »

In that case, don't worry about your pronunciation, the worst that can happen is that you amuse her ;)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: May 04, 2021, 01:47:30 pm »

[Obligatory "Let's all stare at this person's profile!"]

They seem so stupid. I wonder how they live. Can't believe they're on the same planet as me.

What the fuck i don't understand, what did i do?
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: May 04, 2021, 01:53:48 pm »

They seem so stupid. I wonder how they live. Can't believe they're on the same planet as me.

Yeah me too :>
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: May 04, 2021, 02:01:29 pm »

We got 'em, fellas.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: May 04, 2021, 02:09:37 pm »

It's a classic jape, I just hope it never leads to hard feelings!  I fell for it hard the first time, but I think the context was something like "Let's make this person a moderator" so I was mostly just confused by the surprise flattery.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 779