Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 777

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 853810 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10725 on: January 01, 2023, 08:53:42 am »

Hm, I had to be given dozens of opportunities, I'm somewhat convinced that my avoidant behaviour was only intepreted more favorably because of my looks, and it allways felt unfair because I could see other kids in similar situations being treated differently, I've allways felt like I was being priviledged somewhat actively, people might talk the big talk but in practice but they seem to be fairly oblivious to their own support triage and projections. I knew it was wrong but I think would have been improbable that it occured to me that it wasn't that I was being spoiled, but that the other's were being denied of adequate support at school etc. It made me wonder wether I actually instigated it myself, and constantly second guess wether I was being manipulative or showing false humility, which garnered more support, which left me a confusing mess because I am really bad at accepting help. That's what I had been shown at home: don't help me do the dishes I'll be faster doing it alone than with you in my feet, but also why aren't you naturally better at this handywork I need your help for, you're supposed to be a smart kid.... It made me competent in some areas and avoid anything I was bad at, giving off a false impression that I'm fine, depriving myself of some tools, all of which are derogatorily classified as "solicitation" in my mind. If I can't do it on my own, I guess I'm just not worthy...

So what I'm trying to say is I consider myself extremly lucky enough to have gotten a lot of support outside of home, in areas that were more sparsely covered at home (no malice involved, I just understood very young that adults are fallible). And it's still a struggle to not adopt a toxic mindset vis-à-vis hook-up culture or however you prefer to call contemporary mate search procedures. It's easy to emphatise with some "incel talking points" (people have been quick to throw the label around lately, so that it can encompass a lot by now, it used to just be "the losers", now it ranges up to the status of counterculture, come to think of it that probably didn't happen all on it's own, afterall those people are supposed to lack those skills to find eachoter heh).
let

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: January 01, 2023, 09:07:09 am »

I'd prefer incels to get better rather than to die, but most won't. I have lost hope in people like that changing.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: January 01, 2023, 10:26:10 am »

meh, it takes one person to love the shit out of them to arm them with sufficient counter-arguments so that in theory they're able to figure it out, long after that positive influence has left their life

it's also next to impossible that something like that wouldn't leave a huge hole once it vanishes, that is equally difficult to recover from

changing them is easier the sooner you start and gets more difficult later but can allways be initiated at the flip of a switch (a metaphorical one that is actually impossible to trigger reliably in practical terms)

I hate to boil it down to an incel adjacent conclusion but people with mental health issues will allways be disfavored in terms of dating market economics, if it causes additional effort to build a strong relationship with them, folks can compensate to a degree but that can also lead to resentment on both sides. Life just isn't fair like that, and you might even find out a supportive relationship that's also a romantic one isn't even that high up on your list of needs, but it's impossible to tell if you haven't experienced it. When something seizes me and I'm reminded how nice it can be to someone litterally have my back, I remind myself that litterrally everyone of my ancestors managed to procreate so there is little merit in that, look where it has lead us after all, and that I needn't conflate that with moral support. As I tried to convey, it's quite the journey to get to that point, and it suffices of a few well aimed gestures to rip open a chasm of doubt, so it still feels kinda slanted and unfair.
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: January 01, 2023, 11:01:21 pm »

I am heavily drunk, but of course that would happen on Jan 1.
I was assisting people all yesterday (soberly)

And for what it's worth, no one deserved my help.  I gave it freely.
I've been wanting to chime in about that shit, but I'm in no state.

No one owes anyone love.  It wouldn't be real if it's forced- it *wasn't* real when it *was* forced.

Free love is where it's at.  Seeing the humanity in each other.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: January 02, 2023, 04:49:56 am »

I was also heading down a path as a tween/teen that resonated a lot with some incel talking points, and I'm forever grateful to the women I've made friends with up through the years who helped me see things from a different perspective.

I'd been fed on the glorification of toxic Hollywood movie romances through popular films and a misunderstanding of what I overheard a number of female figures talking about with regards to men and their relationships with them. A combination of implicit guilt over being a man (a creature which is overall a miserable little pile of secrets useless, destructive, pigheaded being with little value) while simultaneously sucking up the idolization of nice guys ("I bought you flowers and held the door open for you; therefore you now love me" plotlines), alongside a generally isolated upbringing with little social interaction with my peers, is probably what coalesced into the low self-esteem and fixation on a "recipe for romantic success" that really didn't account for reality or the actual individual humanity of women. And, when that recipe inevitably failed to bring me the relational satisfaction I was "due"; the frustration and feeling of having been lied to/betrayed by society.

I've come a long way since then (even if I do still have the fedora :P). And sure, I still have my stumbles and fumbles on the dating scene, and I've ended up in some awful and exploitative situations thanks to my self-esteem, but I've also garnered enough experience and positive experience to become comfortable with the concept that I am capable of finding a relationship to be in, and through that become comfortable with not being in one "right now". Which, ironically, is one of the most important elements to actually finding a healthy relationship when the time does come around.

And I really don't know how to succinctly condense and convey that experience. Or the lesson that sometimes "failing" at a relationship is the best outcome. That, among other things, was how I failed this guy. And possibly why I've been so hung up on wondering how I could've done better in the time since.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10730 on: January 03, 2023, 07:40:00 am »

Why aren't leftist, democratic movements taking advantage of the energy of lonely troubled young men the way bigoted and fascist movements are.
they do; it's just that when they become leftists they stop being troubled. or men
The Holy Roman Empire is neither troubled, male or right wing

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: January 03, 2023, 01:33:28 pm »

(speaking largely from a cishet frame of mind here, since that's mostly what I'm familiar with) (also, caveat, I don't know anyone personally that would identify as an incel)

I mean, 'inceldom' IS largely an individual problem, because the cultural pressures that seem to produce the phenomenon, including suburban hellscapes and gathering points costing money, affect everyone. There are absolutely societal changes that it would be good to see- absolutely would it help to have social centers more accessible, absolutely the digital dating scene is a monetized, gameified hellscape, absolutely toxic masculinity is harmful to just about everyone. We absolutely need better discussion about emotionality and emotional support, and more onto that, emotional education so men don't outsource problems and baggage to the first woman that offers a sympathetic ear, or expect that simple compassion should lead to sex or romantic interest.

The problem, in my estimation, is that 'incels' take these cultural pressures personally, and wrap this general cultural victimization into a personal identity, and then take challenges to the notion as a challenge to their identity and become hostile and fall back into groups that won't threaten the integrity of this new identity.

And then the far-right says 'this identity is valid, let's hurt the people who wronged you,' because the far right always, always, always needs someone to be at fault or someone to blame or some kind of enemy, because retribution is a lot easier to call for than systemic changes, and young men who have learned to respond to emotional stress with violence are easy to weaponize. It's opportunism to reinforce power structures without meaningfully addressing societal issues. As Vec's pointed out, this doesn't work for the left, which wants solidarity and social change. That's hard work and much slower to produce the results that might better fix the problem, and can't validate the incel identity because again, that's an individuated response to social problems. You can't really say 'we have changed society so you can fuck' without some party being outside that society.

From what I've seen in one or two women-centric social media spheres, there's frustration when someone presents a general or systemic frustration and then someone jumps in with a "not all men do that," because of course they don't, it's a generalization and generalizations have exceptions, and any general claim that 'all men do xyz' similarly has exceptions, so taking the former point as requiring defense and the latter point as universally valid criticism just distracts from the discussion that there are systemic issues with how we view and handle genders. Stop taking it personally, it's not about 'you,' whomever 'you' may be.

In my opinion, and speaking broadly to men here, if you want love, be a better brother to people. Trade expectation for compassion. Be tender to your fellow men so it's not associated with romantic interest, and gently dismiss the idea that it's some kind of gay if it comes up. Toxic masculinity is intertwined with homophobia, and we have to do our part to correct both. Have someone's back simply out of concern for their wellbeing. I agree with Rolan here- nobody owes anyone love, except probably to oneself, and sometimes that's hard work too. The problems and concerns surrounding your gender are not specifically your problems, but you can absolutely be cognizant of where and how you may contribute to them. Don't take it personally, don't prickle, but ask and listen.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: January 03, 2023, 10:11:42 pm »

My work has a mandatory vacation because of an end-of-year shutdown every year, and I still can't figure out how to relax during my time off.

If anything, not being able to work makes me more anxious.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:19:03 pm by BlackFlyme »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: January 03, 2023, 10:27:20 pm »

Find something that's "work" but still fun to do?

Lie personally I plan to take up blacksmithing at some point. It'll still be a form of work, but it's one under my control that I'll enjoy.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: January 03, 2023, 10:50:09 pm »

Blacksmithing sounds cool. Unfortunately trying hobbies never seems to last. If it makes noise I won't be allowed to do it, and if it can be judged, it's going to be judged harshly.

I can't even put my warhammer models together when someone's home without getting complaints about the noise my wire cutters make, and I've gotten in shit for kitbashing them since I'm not following the instruction booklet to the letter.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 11:01:59 pm by BlackFlyme »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: January 03, 2023, 11:13:57 pm »

You need to get out of your living situation ASAP dude.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: January 03, 2023, 11:24:43 pm »

I don't have the money for that, unfortunately, and my mom doesn't make enough money for me to leave her, either.

It's been like this most of my life, I'm used to it. When I was a kid, during my TV time I had to keep the volume near zero with the closed captions on to avoid bugging my mom. Now I just wear headphones all the time.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: January 04, 2023, 12:07:07 pm »

Blacksmithing sounds cool. Unfortunately trying hobbies never seems to last. If it makes noise I won't be allowed to do it, and if it can be judged, it's going to be judged harshly.

Blergh :(

Could mess around with digital music-making, maybe? https://onlinesequencer.net/ and https://www.beepbox.co/ are free to use, and if you're wearing headphones anyway, it's not really something ma can judge just by peering over your shoulder or whatever.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: January 07, 2023, 10:55:56 am »

Found a Twitter account called Reddit Lies. I had a feeling it'd be stupidly biased to the right wing, but hoped it'd just be an account for digging up shit on Reddit.

Nope, right wing.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: January 07, 2023, 05:37:08 pm »

I was replacing a guy's heaters, he asked me to take my boots off.  His carpet was quite filthy.  Then I stepped on a nail...  It was a superficial puncture, so I was only mildly upset.  Reflexes ftw!
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 777