Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 296589 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1125 on: April 08, 2021, 08:50:59 am »

Wow, 5 stars in this one in hard mode with all wave bonus being score streaks ?
That's like the totally opposite of my attempts :D

Thanks for the item combo example, i'll have to give it a try sometime.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 08, 2021, 09:06:18 am »

Colt Canyon is a game included in this month's Humble Choice - and I'd say it's a pretty decent game.

It's a roguelike shooter about someone travelling across a land to save their partner. I'm, uh... not really great at describing these sorts of things since I'm not sure what questions you'd like to ask, but again, it's worth a try.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 08, 2021, 10:10:27 am »

Does the name Bushido Blade mean anything to you? Do you intend to name your first born Bushido Blade III? Do you frequently dream of a game eerily similar to Bushido Blade but with pierogi and piwó instead of anime shenanigans? Then you might want to check out Hellish Quart

For those not in the know, think polish fencing simulator 1621. So, like a fighting game with weapons but getting shanked in the gut with a rapier actually means nap time for you. It has really decent motion capture animations(some fencing youtubers seem to agree they are historically accurate too, not that I'd know or care) and a pretty fun, if sometimes janky, physics simulation orchestrating all your character's movements and swordplay. The development team is one brave polish dude and the game is still in a very early, crude stage, but you can already play versus CPU or on local multiplayer with a modest roster, and the fighting experience is already quite polished. I fear online multiplayer might never come out in full capacity because the physics simulation is too non-deterministic and tied to the host's framerate, but the community has been working around that with some success using steam remote play or parsec.

I'm not gonna lie that I'll probably have forgotten about it by next week, at least until the next major update, but it's well worth the hours of fun I'm having finally experiencing a spiritual successor to BB.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 08, 2021, 12:02:07 pm »

So I recently got Ashes of the Singularity, it was on sale and I could use some fresh RTS gameplay.

It's essentially a dumber Supreme Commander. Not as dumb as SC2 but dumber nonetheless. The story is laughably bad and nonsensical with random shit happening just because it needs to progress the story, shit is revealed and it makes no sense and to say the dialogue is bad is an insult to bad dialogue. One highlight is a guy going: "I wish we could nuke these idiots from orbit, sadly we don't have the tech" (that is despite being a post-AI-singularity humanity that has conquered the stars and has shit like teleportation) and then, after beating the mission going: "It was a shitty thing, but it had to be done, that guy that was corrupted was my friend" Said guy is mentioned for the first and last time in that mission.

The campaign also plays like a glorified tutorial, except it's shit at that too, it gives you the ability to use things several missions before explaining how to use them. So you'd figure something out for yourself (because shit ain't that complex to begin with) and then several missions later the game would waste your time explaining how to use said thing.

So, uh, yeah, there's worse things to buy for a tenner but there's also vastly better ones too :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1129 on: April 08, 2021, 12:29:42 pm »

Does the name Bushido Blade mean anything to you? Do you intend to name your first born Bushido Blade III? Do you frequently dream of a game eerily similar to Bushido Blade but with pierogi and piwó instead of anime shenanigans? Then you might want to check out Hellish Quart
Reminds me much more of the Prince of Persia Classic fighting, than BB. That's not a bad thing, btw.
I associate BB with some one-hit sidestepping jank, which this doesn't seem to have based on the first trailer.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 10, 2021, 09:49:03 am »

On Circadian Dice i finally got the 15 stars item of the monk class (looks like it's an item that mostly only will benefit him, giving +1 damage to those 1 damage dice in day, but -1 at night , sounds seriously bad), took me a while as it feels harder with this class due to some of his best combination being with 1 damage dices.
Because the monk benefit a lot from from the ability that double the amount of dice use + the day-powered attack dices (can use them 2 time while it's day) as it can then hit a lot of time in the same turn.

That combination is great for enemy without shields (especially enemies that show up early in a level but that have lot of health) but it has a serious cons : it does only work with dice that do 1 damage so if shields are involved on enemies you're doing nothing, and if you have bought a lot of attack dice that do more than 1 damage (like your would do most of the time to replace all your weakling dices), you're not going to do a lot of attacks .

But if you earned the ability "enlightement" during one of the level up or chest opening, this combination is absolutely great : because enlightement gives you extra experience for each attacks you do in a single turn (as it only last a turn).
So let's say you're getting lucky and have already reached level 3 to unlock your 3rd dice.
you're lucky again and you roll 3 attack (1 damage each) dices this turn, 2 of them are day-powered and because you're lucky it's day , it means you'll be able to do 10 attacks in a turn and also gets crazy extra experience so maybe you'll not be far to unlock the 4th attack dice way earlier than you should.

Still it means you'll need a lot of luck , so probably extremely rarely going to happen :D but when it happens, it should mean you're going very likely to win this level with some score to spare.

Not in a hurry to try to get his 20 stars item, from now everything feels very hard with the monk if luck isn't on your side for the good combination of rolls to happens exactly when you need it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:50:49 am by Robsoie »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 10, 2021, 06:43:14 pm »

I'm finding I'm having a lot of good luck combining that Monk relic (+1 attack during day, -1 attack at night for single-attack die) with the Timebender one that lets you save up to 10 rerolls across turns.

Just try to minimize rerolls during the day to punch everything to death with double damage, and then when night hits I usually have close to 10 rerolls saved and can reroll my way straight through to morning to completely avoid the downside.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 10, 2021, 07:06:09 pm »

I just unlocked the Thief 10*HM relic and... wow, it's absurdly powerful on some classes. Unless explicitly stated, it doesn't keep anything else though.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 11, 2021, 05:03:21 am »

This thread seemed to have turned into a Circadian Dice thread.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 11, 2021, 05:11:36 am »

I guess that's what happens when what was an already very good free game that is apparently only played by a few B12'ers (probably why then it never got its own thread) gets a rather big update that contains even more goodies and fun.
Don't worry after a couple of week everything will go back to normal :D

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 11, 2021, 06:04:39 am »

So what exactly is the game about, is it using items and rolling dice or am I missing something?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 11, 2021, 06:24:21 am »

Porbably not the best explanation of it , but here it is :

In Circadian Dice basically you choose a class (you unlock more of them as you play) and try to complete several levels that are made of a succession of enemies waves , sometime bosses. More levels will appear progressively atfer you beat some of them.
Each waves, you have a certain amount of re-roll, and you roll 2 die (at first), you gain experience due to various factors (killing enemies, buying die faces in the shop, abilities, etc..) and each 2 levelup you gain an additional die (and its faces).

Each die have very different faces (the game has truckload of different die faces that each have different effects) that are given half at random half depending on your class , so with the rolling results you"re trying to destroy the enemies in each waves to progress further.

You can gain gold (from some face, from abilities, from some specific enemies, from some specific chest that can sometime be dropped by an enemy, etc...) and you can use that gold to buy new faces when available in the shops (or not as gold gives score bonus in the end), price can vary depending on how powerfull those faces can be. You can also reroll the shop offering, but after a free reroll, they cost more gold

Then there are abilities, that consume each some specific type of mana (that you can refill when rolling a face of that specific type) and can influence a lot of what is happening, then there are items (most you'll have to unlock by completeling levels and gaining stars depending on how high the end score is) that also will influence a lot of what happens in many ways (depending on the items).

Basically it's a game based on luck, decisions, choice between risk or cautious to balance the randomness making it extremely replayable and addicting.

edit : managed to finally unlock the last item of the monk (on normal mode)
I was missing 3 stars and had too hard time to complete higher levels, so i went back to the Necromancer Tower that i had completed with the monk but couldn't get more than 1 star, and this time managed to complete it with 4 (the Dreamsaver item helped a lot there, it gives score points whatever bonus choice you take between waves, but it does not add streaks so you may still want to pick score a couple of time for better scoring)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:29:19 am by Robsoie »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 11, 2021, 06:36:51 am »

It's free? I guess I have to try it after all
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 11, 2021, 06:46:57 am »

Yes, it's free for now.
The developer has plans for a steam release and it shouldn't be free anymore when it will happen.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 11, 2021, 06:58:49 am »

Yeah, your passion for this game has also convinced me to give it a try. I'll let you know how I like it. This genre is basocally something I haven't messed with at all.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 168