Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (Potential spoilers) That slab...  (Read 5107 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Potential spoilers) That slab...
« on: July 09, 2014, 02:49:18 pm »

Has anyone found a use for that slab that is found at the bottom of the god vaults?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Potential spoilers) That slab...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 02:53:56 pm »

Unknown in use right now. Also there are other topics pertaining to those slabs too that people are talking on.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:20:15 pm »

How do you enter a vault?  I climbed over the one I found and no dice.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:55:12 pm »

My guy can't read and I don't know if you can train reading now or not. I'd like to hope you can learn to read without starting with the skill...

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:29:50 pm »

My guy can't read and I don't know if you can train reading now or not. I'd like to hope you can learn to read without starting with the skill...
Nope, the only theoretical way you can learn to read is being taught it, and that's not exactly in DF.
I always start out with a level in reading in swimming, because reading can't be learned and swimming is annoying/dangerous to learn.
Though still, shit, ain't heard of anybody actually reaching the slab but you.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 04:38:23 pm »

Nope, the only theoretical way you can learn to read is being taught it, and that's not exactly in DF.
I always start out with a level in reading in swimming, because reading can't be learned and swimming is annoying/dangerous to learn.
Though still, shit, ain't heard of anybody actually reaching the slab but you.

I haven't found a vault slab; just regular ones in crypts and dungeons. I can't even learn what it would do anyway since my adventurer is illiterate :(

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:16 pm »

After you read the slab:
-Enemies stop fleeing from your sight
-Your god will answer to your greeting
-You will block incoming attacks
-Fliers will stop crashing on trees/walls
-The farming fields will have proper crop selection
-The fps will improve significatively

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 06:49:20 pm »

After you read the slab:
-Enemies stop fleeing from your sight
-Your god will answer to your greeting
-You will block incoming attacks
-Fliers will stop crashing on trees/walls
-The farming fields will have proper crop selection
-The fps will improve significatively
TROLOLOLOLOL
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 07:28:03 pm »

Take it to a safe place, retire, and create a new adventurer with reading skill. Also upload the save please.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 07:43:48 pm »

Vault slab? Have I missed something? Does this have anything to do with demon sites? ??? 

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 11:36:32 pm »

Vault slab? Have I missed something? Does this have anything to do with demon sites? ???

in a time before time, some deities will bind demons to the mortal plane using an artifact slab, and the demons then store them in vaults hidden somewhere in the world.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 11:42:49 pm »

in a time before time, some deities will bind demons to the mortal plane using an artifact slab, and the demons then store them in vaults hidden somewhere in the world.
To what end though? Once the demon's in the world, what's so important about the slab? Does destroying the slab have a negative impact on the demon? I haven't met one of these escaped summoned demons yet, but I'm willing to bet an adventurer's life that they're as easy to kill as they used to be. That might rule out some sort of 'destroy the slab and you destroy the demon' gimmick, but then again maybe not. So what do we do with it?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:24 pm »

Is it magma safe? Because throwing a slab into a volcano to rid the world of a demon would be just about the most awesome quest ever.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 12:00:09 am »

Or you could, you know, man up and kill the demon directly. Most aren't that powerful, they get murdered by nameless goblin underlings all the time.
Probably don't even need Giant Eagles for it, but wouldn't hurt.

I'd like to get ahold of one of these slabs, then confront the corresponding demon to see if anything changes.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 12:17:08 am »

Or you could, you know, man up and kill the demon directly. Most aren't that powerful, they get murdered by nameless goblin underlings all the time.
Probably don't even need Giant Eagles for it, but wouldn't hurt.

I'd like to get ahold of one of these slabs, then confront the corresponding demon to see if anything changes.

OOOO SHIT, what if it's like truename shit and you can make him YO BITCH?

Aherm, I mean; verily, his binding in thine hands, thou might surely be able to commandeth him, or at least order his accompanyment of your person beyond all ulterior interests in the likes of an utterly loyal compatriot?
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers
Pages: [1] 2