Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524281 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1515 on: September 24, 2015, 06:58:07 pm »

I'm curious, can nationgen put out nations that have population killing dominion or give freespawns?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 24, 2015, 11:25:55 pm »

Freespawn would require changing the sourcecode. Well, you might be able to jury-rig it via data files and filters, but it'd be an awful mess. Popkill OTOH would be trivial to add via straightforward changes to the nation filter files.

To actually answer the question I think you meant to ask, though, NationGen as it is release will generate neither of those sorts of nations, and further there's no plans in the foresable future to add them baring some serious changes to available modding commands.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 24, 2015, 11:49:28 pm »

I'd also point out that in caves, if you have darkvision or blind-fighter units, you have a bit of a tactical advantage in battles there. (Probably not a very large one, though)
Speaking of caves, do they count as surface in relation to certain Globals? Perpetual Storm is the one I'm thinking of specifically.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 25, 2015, 01:23:31 am »

Freespawn would require changing the sourcecode. Well, you might be able to jury-rig it via data files and filters, but it'd be an awful mess. Popkill OTOH would be trivial to add via straightforward changes to the nation filter files.

To actually answer the question I think you meant to ask, though, NationGen as it is release will generate neither of those sorts of nations, and further there's no plans in the foresable future to add them baring some serious changes to available modding commands.

It took about 2 hours of fiddling, but I'm about to blow your mind. Copy Sanguine Circle, then copy-paste this into it:
Code: [Select]
#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 1
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#rarity 0
#kill 1
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 1
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#1unit 2700
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 2
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#kill 1
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 2
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#1unit 2700
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 3
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#kill 1
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 3
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#1unit 2700
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 4
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#1unit 2700
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 4
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#kill 1
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 5
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#1unit 512
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 5
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#kill 1
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 6
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#kill 1
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 6
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#1unit 512
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 7
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#kill 1
#delay 0
#end

#newevent
#req_fornation 100
#req_fullowner
#req_dominion 7
#notext
#nolog
#nation -2
#1unit 512
#end
Then play a game as Hobnia.

Then read this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 25, 2015, 12:20:21 pm »

The main issue is automating generation of that, and then it comes down to time investment vs. content payoff. This hasn't been perceived as high demand.

Having said that, NG is a collaborative project, so if anyone is good with Java, likes their code pastaesque (gotta be honest about that :-\ ) and wants to pitch in...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:22:42 pm by E. Albright »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 26, 2015, 03:58:49 am »

I have been cobbling together some ideas for a nation mod, and I've been wondering about how a few things would work and how they could be balanced properly.

The main gimmick of the nation that I'd like to use, is unrestricted communion. That is, every single one of the nation's mages is a communion master, and every mage and commander (basically the same thing) knows a simple intrinsic spell they can cast to enter communion as a slave. This would be all kinds of broken if the nation had regular mages, so I thought of making the nation's mages highly specialized and weak individually - I.e. there would be three types of "mages", and each would have a 100% chance of one level in one of two paths (Nature/Earth, Water/Air, Fire/Astral), plus something like a 10% chance of an additional path level. Outside of heroes, pretenders, and summoned/independent mages, there would be no multi-path mages in the nation.

How would that work for balance, as a pro/con?

Also, I was thinking about the idea of giving the nation specific sacred/special units if specific pretenders are chosen. I.e. if you choose a particular pretender, an event spawns an additional site at your capital allowing you to recruit additional types of units. As a side effect, you wouldn't get that special site unless your pretender was actually in your capital, so this would incentivise having an Awake pretender to get the useful special units early. Would this be possible, and how expensive do you think such a feature would that have to be, point cost-wise?

(Other notes: the nation in question would have no "feet", and does not have arms as such but does have one "grasp" that can use weapons and be justifiably called an "arm", even if it's not. Does that constitute a significant drawback in terms of potential equipment, and would adding a third Misc slot to all of the nation's units be an acceptable compensation if it is?)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 26, 2015, 05:25:15 am »

Outside of heroes, pretenders, and summoned/independent mages, there would be no multi-path mages in the nation.
I think this would cause your nation to be very difficult to balance.
If it was a EA nation, I would try to rush any nation that could have independent mages; and whatever the age is, rush thrones to get more mages.
The non-nationnal mages would bring too much potential to the nation for it to be easily balanced.

If you still go that way, I would suggest trying to make the Drain scale beneficiary to them (drain-immune mages, and maybe events that give them something, such as boosting the pretender-sites), so that non-nationnal mages are nerfed at least a bit ;)

Also, in the Desura forums, Pymous posted a nation which can't recruit independents (didn't try, but read that), so you may want to try and see if you can prevent commander-recruiting, if you wish so ;)

PS: missing feet means no "earth boots", and if their grasp let them only have 1 "arm" that prevents them from using the skull Staff and the Elemental Staves, preventing them from boosting their magic. This could help you make the nation focus on communion (because the way to get a 2 in a magic isn't to forge, but to bring more mages )
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:28:29 am by IWishIWereSarah »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 26, 2015, 06:07:38 am »

The main issue is actually construction.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 26, 2015, 06:48:34 am »

The main issue is actually construction.
Construction and rituals, really. They'd have no easy access to multi-path mages, unless they luck in on an indie site or one of their mages sprouts a second path (10% chance of that), or get a throne. And even then the indie mages wouldn't get the full benefit from their national quirk, they'd still need to enter communion manually. And they have no way to easily get an E1S1 mage to craft crystal matrices, either.

It would, I think, be a nation highly dependent on having an awake pretender, just so that there is a high-level caster and crafter that can boost the low-level mages to something worthwhile reliably.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 26, 2015, 08:33:33 am »

To be entirely honest, if you've got a neat idea you'd like to implement, I wouldn't worry too much about balance, at least initially. Do your thing first, adjust numbers and whatnot second. There's plenty of mod nations that are still pretty fun to play that are complete shite from a balance perspective, one way or another, and that's perfectly okay, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 26, 2015, 08:56:44 am »

Oh, by the way, can you mod in items restricted to your race ?
I think there are ways to make boosters that don't act as boosters in combat (with negative in-combat boosters). It may be over-complex for nothing, but it could help somehow ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 26, 2015, 09:03:10 am »

I mean I guess it could work if that nation gets a really great unique rainbow pretender.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 26, 2015, 09:13:21 am »

I mean I guess it could work if that nation gets a really great unique rainbow pretender.
...have you guessed what the nation is? D:

Because they will. It will have a point in all magic paths, be flying and stealthy, and will cause unrest and slowly drive your troops insane. It will cost so many points that the only viable option of having it in play will be to start with it imprisoned. It will also be one of the few unique pretenders that won't share the nation's ability to automatically commune (not that it needs it). Not sure if it'll be available in all three ages. Might skip MA, or be replaced with a statue version.

That does remind me. Is there any way at all to have a pretender with random magic paths?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 26, 2015, 09:26:34 am »

Pantocreator nation?

I always wanted a hypothetical Pantocreator civ who was based off of having just one super duper pretender and basically nothing else.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 26, 2015, 10:49:04 am »

Also, I was thinking about the idea of giving the nation specific sacred/special units if specific pretenders are chosen. I.e. if you choose a particular pretender, an event spawns an additional site at your capital allowing you to recruit additional types of units.

Major issue: only starting sites are nation-restricted, so if your capital falls, your sacreds won't show themselves to be particularly, ah, faithful.

Oh, by the way, can you mod in items restricted to your race ?

Yes.

Spoiler: Item restrictions (click to show/hide)

That does remind me. Is there any way at all to have a pretender with random magic paths?

Sorta. This is as close as you'll get to just random paths:

Quote from: Changelog 2015-05-09 11:04:23 +0200
Press 'r' when designing pretender to get a random design

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:53:08 am by E. Albright »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 236