Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Venting about a ban  (Read 224 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Venting about a ban
« on: May 06, 2024, 06:41:10 am »

I know Toady tries to tell troubled people the issues they are causing before banning them, as many of you have told me. I am sure he does way better than most in terms of moderation, while also trying to develop a game, and take care of health problems.

Some of the recent bans really sting. Admittedly, I am often shocked by the cause, such as bigotry or threats. I know at my worst, I have said dumb stuff on the internet.

Strif3 was a player in a couple of my forum games, sometimes a loss feels like removing a small body part that wont grow back. I don't know why they were banned (originally), but this alt account they had been here since last year.

There has to be enforced consequences in the rules of a community for it to work, I get that. I really do. I have been banned in a Discord server before, and it really caused me to self reflect.

I hate these permanent bans. Isn't a year long enough? People commit murder in Canada, and they go through a system and get integrated back into society. I'm pulling this out of my ass but I believe Canada has lower crime rates than the US.
Edit: According to nationmaster.com yes, very much yes. I can't find the source but I watched a documentary that featured a Canadian man that had accidentally killed someone in a bar fight and they were learning cooking skills while in prison to transition back with.

It looks like Strif3 edited their first post:

DF Community Games & Stories / Re: Dwarf Fortress -Drawings- : Tales of the Deer Wizard
anyway, i gotta say that i really love your artwork, Quaksna
it has improved quite fast and quite a lot from... whatever the first picture you drew of blackhoof was
I've noticed the quality gets better with every update, and just imagine what it'll look like this time next year.
Quaksna's already got my reaction over mail, so i've no reason to repeat myself...
But i'll do so anyway - you do deserve it, friend. Because your art is damn good, and it's always getting better, Q. The switch to felt-tips merely brought out the actual level of skill present your art.

Anyway, now onto the main body of this post.
I could no longer in good conscience lean on Quaksna to forward my posts to this thread. It may seem small, but it's important to me, to not be a burden on my friend, no matter how light or heavy that weight. So, i'm back. In the flesh, and said flesh of mine be damned! Make no mistake, this is no triumphant return. This is me pathetically crawling back, on my knees, in the hopes that Toady might show me some leniency. Of course, I'm not expecting Toady to forgive me. i'm just hoping he'll give me a chance. Because this is my home. Bay 12 is more to me than just some forum on the internet. And this thread is our cozy little cottage in the middle of the woods. With people only occasionally happening across it.
There's of course a pretty good chance this account'll be banned before morning. But if that's gonna happen, i've got to ask: Who was it that approved of my re-registration then? Ha ha :P Come on, the name's obvious, it even shares most of the letters. lol. If nothing else, it should at least show that i am honest, and i am, in all matters, if i can be.

Also, hey TeaKing! welcome to said cozy cabin that is ToDW and to Bay12 in general. I wanted to welcome you for a while, but i didn't want to do it in a forwarded post. Felt too impersonal. I was legitimately concerned you might get mistakenly bonked by Toady for being my ban-evade account. We are enough alike, at least in mannerisms, you and i. I could see an internet witch-hunting party thinking that you're me. Heh. Especially since your only posts since joining are in this very thread - a sure recipe to get lynched as me, i thought. But I'm glad that didn't happen.

Phew- That was a bit long winded and probably pretty cringe lol. That's okay, i don't care. It's been a month plus some... it feels good to type out a post and press the 'Post' button myself. Especially since i do have an headsman's axe hanging over me, and this might be the only post i get before i get mopped again. With that in mind, here's my suggestion for our course of action. I.E. what this thread is actually about.

Damnit Flax! We wouldn't get into half the messes that we do if he'd just keep his mouth shut. And if he'd stop being so controlling and overbearing, trying to take charge in everything with zero actual social skills. Thankfully, judging by the last panel, he himself realizes this to an extent. Lets make sure Flax doesn't get another word in and risk saying something very dumb. Lets instead interject and describe our adventure in vague terms. Something about spirits and beasts and something.

Provided we don't mess this up, this seems like a good opportunity to socialize a bit. In particular, i would like us discreetly ask the girl, Ule... Oh it was Gisla who delivered that curious line about our little stoat friend, whom by the way, if we wanted to give a name to, 'Thran' is probably the most masculine sounding out of the ones we could've picked. But i assume it was merely done to please Sas. I still prefer 'Kadi' for the stoat girl myself. Anyway, yeah, i'd like us to discreetly ask Ule what she sees in the vagrant stoat girl? Perhaps something only another woman might notice? Or perhaps we shouldn't say anything regarding that, and let them start blabbering and gossiping between the two of them by themselves and then just listen in?

P.S. Toady, if you are gonna mop me. At least please leave this post up. For the sake of ToDW. Please.

It's sounds like Strif3 cares a lot about Dwarf Fortress (more than me honestly) and the community, a lot.

People change their opinions every week, it's so silly when someone does a gotcha of some dumb comment someone said in 2011 that contradicts them now. There have been really bad people that are now forces of good in this world, and they have the potential to show it is possible to bad people today by example.

People have been forgiven of real life, serious, heinous crimes and gone on to do better.

Can we at least give one second chance? A one year ban for the first removal? Let's see what people do with that. Please.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 07:03:41 am by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism
Sometimes my emotions are like a stream: steady and directed. Others they are like a whirlpool: I lose myself in the spiral.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Venting about a ban
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 06:59:39 am »

Stryf3 didn't really get banned because his account is a ban dodging account for some account where he did something stupid a long time ago on and only now got caught.

He got banned because he got massively pissed when Bumber and Maximum Zero got banned and made some pretty darn inappropriate comments, which frankly probably could have got him banned just by themselves, and was stupid enough to do it on a ban dodging account.

People change. Stryf3 pretty conclusively showed that he hadn't changed and still deserved to be banned.

It sucks when people get themselves banned and leave holes in other areas of the forum where they were actually constructive, but running a popular enough forum game or write popular enough stories can't be an excuse for unacceptable behavior elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 07:10:34 am by Criptfeind »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 07:14:30 am »

Ok, so his alt wasn't removed until they started causing problems again.
Awesome With Autism
Sometimes my emotions are like a stream: steady and directed. Others they are like a whirlpool: I lose myself in the spiral.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 07:42:41 am »

Strif3 was already given a second chance, it was basically an open secret that his account was a ban evasion one for Strik3r but apparently he promised to Toady that he will be good. That's more than most banned people are given, I think. But then guess what, he pulled the same shit he pulled several times as Strik3r: being abusive, abrasive, and generally an edgelord. So yes, Toady tried reintegration, only for him to relapse into previous behavior.

I'm not one to permanently condemn people anymore. I used to be an unironic National Bolshevik, for God's sake. But I don't think he has shown any real signs of improvement here, over a period of years. I'd be with you if he was otherwise a well-behaved user who had a bad day and went on an angry outburst once. But as is, can't say I will miss him.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 07:44:40 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 08:00:56 am »

He didn't ever show that side to me.
Awesome With Autism

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 08:03:44 am »

Can we at least give one second chance? A one year ban for the first removal? Let's see what people do with that. Please.
It's... like you noted in your first sentence. The boss toad generally does give second chances, quite often more than that. With fairly rare exception, everyone on the ban list has a slate of warnings (and sometimes mutes, though I don't think I've seen that for a few years) prior to the ban.

Toady's genuinely quite understanding of bad days or emotional outbursts on distressing topics, so long as they don't turn into consistent patterns of disruptive/abusive behavior. Even those can go on for quite a while before permanent action is taken so long as it's not super heinous. So long as you're not posting shock images or blasting "death to the <insert racial slur>" everywhere or somethin', you probably get your second chance.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 08:06:06 am »

Thank you.
Awesome With Autism