Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 105819 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #390 on: March 27, 2013, 12:24:57 pm »

Why do we all have to be from another dimension? I'd rather just do it normally, and attribute huge screw ups based on ignorance of new mechanics to incompetent administration, boatmurdered style.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 27, 2013, 12:50:03 pm »

I just realized, our first group of dwarves, since when I do the world gen, I'm just going to jump right in, without figuring out the new stuff, so I can do some cool storytelling on the shock of our old-world dwarves upon stumbling into this new-fangled world, with trees that tower into the sky and other this that would appear horrifying to them.
Have you considered using Perfect World to generate a planet with geography of intelligent design? Like what Eric Blank did with the DF2012SW:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's good that we're not making a world that large, at least. The focus should be on the player assets, and having such a massive world stretched those assets far too thin (and made reaching them a pain in the ass).

The succession list:
You're the third person in a row who's forgotten to put me on a succession list. :-\
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:01:06 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 27, 2013, 01:36:17 pm »

What world size are we going for anyway?
Small to big would seem reasonable (pocket seems a bit too small and huge...you get the point)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 27, 2013, 02:10:16 pm »

"Medium" seems to be the general consensus, and it gets my vote. Gives plenty of room for branching history while providing for an adequate sense of adventure, and runs quite a bit smoother than a large. I also sorta like the proposed idea of a world that is smaller than a medium one, larger than a small, but horizontally/vertically stretched.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:49:26 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:00 pm »

You're the third person in a row who's forgotten to put me on a succession list. :-\
What?  :o
I looked through your post again and I did not find a request to be added to the list anywhere. Maybe I oversaw it? Maybe I'm to tired?
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 27, 2013, 06:59:31 pm »

I don't think we should use anything that alters worldgen, since worldgen is getting changed. I think we should just use advanced generation settings to set some parameters but let it generate its own geography and stuff.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 27, 2013, 07:03:51 pm »

May I request greater concentrations of good/evil areas? What's DF without a little !!FUN!!?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 27, 2013, 07:08:42 pm »

Slight increase should be sufficient, unaligned areas are necessary for a lot of other interesting things. Also, I say we do a full-sized medium world, not one squished on one axis, so as to have greatest diversity of areas to use. Given the length of the turn list and the new and permanent ways to affect the world in each mode, we want to make sure the early people don't use up all the interesting things.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 27, 2013, 07:27:07 pm »

We quadrapled the number of good/evil areas last time and it was only barely enough. Need to have a lotta good and evil zones for the sake of variety of options, because each biome of alignment has it's own specific critters, and you're not gonna see even half of those if you gen with defaults. 4X seemed to be just the right amount so that there was always one good+one evil+one neutral ocean every time we genned.

At any rate, you can never have too many small evil regions. Region alignment doesn't affect seed, so you can re-generate the world as long as it takes to get a version with a decent spread.
(and I know I won't be satisfied if there isn't at least one reanimating and one huskifying territory)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:46:12 pm by Spish »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 27, 2013, 08:10:30 pm »

I'm all for diversity - without it we can't have as much fun.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 27, 2013, 08:56:51 pm »

On the topic of story based beginnings, I was planning on casting the dwarves as survivors of a shipwreck, and starting my first fort on a beach, where they would then see the new world (I'm not a huge fan of portals and stuff like that, I kinda like a bermuda triangle-like beginning more).

And Hugo, if you're against this, keep in mind that there will be multiple dwarven civs in the world, at least one of them would have already been there, and then you can lead the assault against the foriegners, if that's you're thing.

Not saying it is, it would just be hilarious.

For world size, I have to agree that medium would probably be best, but I personally hate worlds that are either long or tall, I don't know why, I need a square. And if we do it that way, then people can spread out more naturally, rather than feel like there is some sort of border that always seems to come up when there are uneven dimentions.

And for good/evil areas, I do think we should have some more evil around, and the X4 plan sounds good to me. But as was stated elsewhere, unaligned areas are still needed.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 27, 2013, 09:38:36 pm »

It's just that if an entire dwarven kingdom is supposed to be started by refugees from another world, then their rich worldgen history will get in the way unless we start as early as possible.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:02 pm »

I thought that the whole idea was to start as early as possible? And then see how far we can carry the world along and watch it evolve.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 27, 2013, 10:47:40 pm »

Well, you're the OP

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 27, 2013, 10:48:51 pm »

Sounds like you guys going to do that 'challenge start at the dawn of time' thread in the dwarf mode discussion thread.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 74