Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuckin irritation  (Read 676 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stuckin irritation
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

I am finally getting around to trying out and working with the adventurer mode.  In fact I largely hadn't even been reading this forum.

I decided to make a spear dwarf, and with spears being all pointy they keep getting stuck in the wounds.  Now my thinking after seeing the dwarf twist the spear around in a some kobolds head is that there should be new brain damage.  Nope.

Alright, so I figured out I could get more options in the wrestling screen.  None to pull the spear out, and none to push it deeper.  Nothing to wiggle or waggle either.  So I try grabbing the spear with my shield.  There is no new damage caused!  As I see it the dwarf just slammed a shield wearing hand onto that spear, it would have waggled!

After a bit longer I figure out that moving will pull the spear out.  Still no damage from yanking it out.  That is just plain wrong.  There is also a chance the grip is lost, which makes sense; but that means there is only downside.  I am imagining a spear that is about 4' shaft 1/2' blade shaped like a long version of a broadhead arrow.  Shove in, twist and try to yank out and bone may be solidly in the way.  If the dwarf is strong enough the opponent should be yanked or more bones broken.

Another thing that really got me was some skill gain issues.  No skills are gained from twisting the spear about.  No skills are gain from bashing with a shield either.

In fact using a shield as a weapon seems like a minus.  It doesn't pay attention to any skills.  You can have a weapon held in the same hand it will hit with the shield instead.  I am again imagining a shield that could be used a little more agressively.  Kind of a V shape with a wider angle V at the top.  This allows the spear to be rested on top of the shield as part of the attack stance.  The grip points on the shield and the size allows that the lower point chould be raised for a slashing attack.  A slight bevel and serration on both long sides serves as blades and sword breakers.

Basically what I see as needed so far is: shield as weapon should use skill, possibility of shield to be better designed for pierce and slash damage, damage for twisting weapons in wounds, damage for pulling stuckins out, wrestling moves added for interracting with a stuckin.

For that last one, say you fire 10 arrows at something, 5 stick and they still close to melee range.  You should be able to grab those stuck arrows and then twist, yank, wiggle, shove, and waggle them.  All of those maneuvers should cause obvious damage.  In fact just grabbing them should cause some damage, the motion to grab would be at full speed and wouldn't complete until the reaction to contact by grabbing part was complete, meaning the stuckin gets wiggled about some.  Misses could actually have the chance of shoving the stuckin deeper, the angle was just wrong.

Basically I am saying you made an amazing level of realism, so far, on the combat engine and I would love to see it completed.  Defintely looking forward to it.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stuckin irritation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »

Twisting spears in wounds causes a lot of bleeding.

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 06:54:00 pm »

poke someone with a spear and twist it till they go unconscious or bleed to death

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

A lot of the 'problems' with skills and skill gian are due to the current system being very base, and more placeholder than anything, from my understanding.   I'm sure things will be shaped up quite nicely in time.   During the skills arc, most likely.

Gibby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

For the record, twisting and pulling out things does cause both bleeding and pain. The most obvious example of this is when you survive a bow shot and yank the thing out of your face.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:00 pm »

Yeah, I have seen some fast deaths from bleeding that resulted from twisting the spear around.  There is no skill gain though which makes it bad for me to do that if my dwarf is positioned to handle the current pull it out method.  I just want to see better.  First shot mangled the pancreas, annd bruised the left kidney.  Twisting it should mangle the pancreas again and possibly mangle the left kidney.  I just don't see the pain level and damage matching what twisting the spear would do.

I just want to see more done with it.  If it is planned for the skills arc then wonderful.  I just had a taste for extremely realistic combat once or twice in RP.

A friend of mine developped an entire system for RP.  Sadly he lived far enough away that I only got to be involved in the play testing twice during the late stages.  Anyway, I doubt combat within a game would ever match that realism, but I want it to come close.  Especially when Toady is making effort t do just that.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 04:00:00 am »

As I understand it, Toady mentioned that only something skillful will get you skill points. Hacking someone lying on the floor is much easier than fighting them standing up, and twisting a spearhead into a kobold is easier than jabbing them repeadetly, I guess.

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 04:24:00 am »

If you're holding a weapon that's stuck in a creature, you can pull it out with 'I'.

quote:
Originally posted by Veroule:
<STRONG>You should be able to grab those stuck arrows and then twist, yank, wiggle, shove, and waggle them.</STRONG>

Stand next to a creature with a stuck arrow. Have one hand free. 'A', 'Enter', select the creature, and scroll through the list until you find the option to grab the stuck arrow with your free hand. If you can grab it, you should be able to twist it in the wound.