Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 237373 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect
« Reply #240 on: September 28, 2012, 10:02:55 am »

I think ideally the prisoner intake rate would be matched against your number of cells, as balanced by your performance rating.  More cells means they're more likely to send you prisoners.  Lower safety record and a high number of escapes or shivings, and they're less likely to send you prisoners.  So you should never have more prisoners than you have cells, unless the state says "we're boned, we gotta send these guys somewhere!" and you toss them in the holding cell until you build new cells or they get transferred out.

Be interesting to see how prisoners leave.  Some would get out on good behavior, some would be transferred to other prisons, and some would arrive with an execution date.  Not to mention those who die in the gladiator pits.

Now to hope mechanics improve and we can see the first utopian prisoners with a 99% safety record - that 1% margin of error is when the warden sends starved prisoners into solitary with hacksaws and forgets to turn off the camera.  Conveniently.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 28, 2012, 10:04:51 am »

Are the save files in plain text?

Yup.  Ctrl + f search for 'finance' and changer the balance to whatever you want.  You can also allow all buildings/objects/staff from the start by changing all the 'Progress 0.00000's into 'Progress 1.00000's.

Somehow I think, in the game's current state, it'll be more fun cheating than going up in flames.

So between the save file and removing the delivery zone, can you basically get your prison to sustainable equilibrium?

I think ideally the prisoner intake rate would be matched against your number of cells, as balanced by your performance rating.

I think it's true to life though that prisons (here in 'Murica) will always get more than they can handle. I think that's their intention in how they modeled things. Have the devs said that prisoners are even intended to leave? One would think if they are, the would list their sentence and term of imprisonment when you selected them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 28, 2012, 10:07:53 am »

I presume that getting them in was first priority.  Getting them out will come later in development.  I can't imagine a prison game where no one leaves though.  That would get stale pretty fast.

And after all, isn't that what we all want?  To see a repeat offender come back to prison after two days outside?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 28, 2012, 10:08:39 am »

I was thinking more like a guy who is 1 day away from release getting shived in the canteen line.....but that's just me. :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 28, 2012, 10:11:57 am »

That works too.  That works especially frequently when the warden installs a shiv dispenser in the showers.

It's sort of like how girls rooms have tampon dispensers, and boys rooms have condom dispensers.  Except this one is cocaine and sharpened spoons.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2012, 10:14:20 am »

Except this one is cocaine and sharpened spoons.

And thus, we found the first inane sub-title for the thread!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:21 am »

I've sort of reached a stable point with my prison. I'm getting about $5,000 dollars a day which isn't nearly enough to build 8 new cells, but it does let me cover food/repair costs and do either some research or hiring. I've got a decent airlock system controlling access to the kitchen, so most of the fights are with fists and enough prisoners get bug-stuck in medical bay or some other lockdown position that the population of prisoners running around doing things isn't increasing that fast.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:47:11 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 28, 2012, 11:46:38 am »

Is anyone else getting a problem where lots of prisoners are missing their families?
I've tried to alleviate it by creating phone booths, but they don't seem to want to use them.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 28, 2012, 12:12:09 pm »

Hmmm, im gonna leave it for a few weeks and see what the next release or two look like I believe.  Im definitely very interested in the game (again, thanks for the lets play, watching someone play a game always seems to beat a review for me) its the 30 bucks that is the sticking point for me atm I guess.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 28, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »

Is anyone else getting a problem where lots of prisoners are missing their families?
I've tried to alleviate it by creating phone booths, but they don't seem to want to use them.

Where do you have the phones? I put mine in the yard and they use them.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2012, 12:50:24 pm »

Boy do I hope that the prisoners all will get a lot of subtypes and feats, to say so. Some may be peaceful, even adding to your other prisoners needs and making them better - some may be leaders, others may enjoy messing with plumbing, some may simply be brutes/followers, others may fear crowds...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 28, 2012, 02:13:47 pm »

There is supposed to be prison gang mechanics involved so I imagine personalities and the like will all get fleshed out a lot more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2012, 02:14:21 pm »

Leaders are the ones that scare me.  They're the ones who instil riots and overturn guards.  They're the ones who seek the downfall of the criminal justice system and a return to anarchy.

And by "scare me" I really mean "All shanks 1/2 off this weekend MEGA BLOWOUT SALE!"

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »

so are the inmates going to have different sorts of personality's then ? e.g. leader
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »

Hey LC, do you know where the save files are stored on Win 7 x64? None in the game directory, and none in the various AppData/blahblah folders I've checked.

edit

NM, found it. C:\Users\<Your User>\AppData\Local\Introversion\Prison Architect
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:07:25 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 107