Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 237391 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a15) - Now with more PUPPIES!
« Reply #825 on: January 25, 2014, 04:43:23 pm »

Well, looking at Paolo's games, it seems like they intent to tell a message to the player by showing them it, rather than having the player draw a conclusion from meaningful mechanics. Noticed it particularly in 'Unmanned', that there were single "correct" branches in conversations, and you would get a medal for following those because you did a good/bad thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 25, 2014, 04:45:44 pm »

Well the maxim for writers is "show, don't tell."

What would it be for simulators? "Enable, don't show?"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 25, 2014, 05:27:28 pm »

nenjin I don't fully understand your complaint. I don't think he is arguing for a specific left leaning message to be delivered through the game, but instead for a more nuanced simulation in specific areas. Complaints/suggestions include:
- more unhappiness feedback besides frequent rioting.
- a downside to solitary confinement.
- rehabilitation.
- more interaction with the outside world.
- alternate viable options besides turning your prison into a factory.

Most of these have been confirmed by the devs in the video response.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 25, 2014, 06:21:05 pm »

Partly it's the tone. It's kind of accusatory in places, as though his expectation is that show casing these things should have been a point of development from the outset. Like "The lack of emphasis on drug sentencing is a glaring oversight." (Not actual quote.) Well, no, it's not a glaring oversight. It's just not fleshed out in the alpha build.

It's his seeming desire for atrocities to be up on display that makes me think he's not seeing the idea of a simulation as a whole. You don't start a simulation by going "Ok, how do I make hunger strikes happen." You spend a year and a half building an environment where something like that has context. Which is what Introversion has done.

It's basically a journalist who has spent probably 8 hours on a game, probably not read the forums or listened to developer commentary, getting a little breathless because he wants to address a larger social issue. He doesn't hate the game and they don't hate his review. Tonally though, I have problems with it and I'd question if it comes down to his own perception of what's most important. (i.e, the message not the game or having a great sandbox.) Maybe he was playing an older build before policies, but if not, it tells me he didn't really pay very close attention to the game. I don't expect him to know as much someone playing since Alpha 1, but I'd expect him to know and have played a bit more before he structured and spiced his article the way he did. An interesting review would have been "Prison Architect vis-a-vis the American Prison System" with "Prison Architect of course is still in Alpha" at the end of every couple of paragraphs. But it's not. And as Chris and Mark point out, his one-sided view from the American standpoint (funny because the writer isn't American and should be well aware other kinds of prisons are out there) makes for a lop-sided perspective. Then again, when it comes to social justice, much like the media, good news doesn't get written about as much as bad news.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 25, 2014, 09:16:37 pm »

I would agree his tone is accusatory and even combative. The things he mentions are those that would jump out for a left-wing player. Considering the praise he gave the game and the quote bellow I figured it was deliberately written in a passionate style.

Not at the end of every couple of paragraphs, but he does mention it's alpha quite a few times and also lays out his reasons for posting.
One of the reasons developers pre-release games is to create a community around their titles and involve players in the development process. After hearing concerns about the very existence of a prison simulator, I decided to play it extensively and to start a conversation (in the comment section below) about the political and ethical implications of the game.

Also, unlike myself, he doesn't seem to think it's set in the states as he says it's set in a nation modelled after the USA.

I can understand your position better now.

Edit to add: I'm glad it's not set in UK prisons. The main reason being that at even a hint of gang activity all the suspected members get split up across the country. Looking forward to gang interactions.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:19:08 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 26, 2014, 12:47:16 am »

o/t: Welcome to gawker journalism friends.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 26, 2014, 02:27:36 pm »

For some reason I can't get any sheet metal imported. After building a workshop and setting prisoners to work there no sheet metal gets delivered and they just end up hanging out in the workshop and then eventually stabbing each other to death with powertools out of boredom. Anyone else getting this?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 26, 2014, 03:13:18 pm »

For some reason I can't get any sheet metal imported. After building a workshop and setting prisoners to work there no sheet metal gets delivered and they just end up hanging out in the workshop and then eventually stabbing each other to death with powertools out of boredom. Anyone else getting this?
The delivery/storage area, are they restricted?  That is where the sheet metal end up going.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 26, 2014, 03:18:39 pm »

The delivery/storage area, are they restricted?  That is where the sheet metal end up going.
Nope. They're behind jail doors but I have guards set right near them. The trucks just aren't coming with any sheet metal in them. Wood logs getting turned into wood planks works fine but for some reason they won't import any metal whatsoever. I'll try with a new prison and see if I get the same result.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 26, 2014, 03:37:57 pm »

It's possible that they'll work on wood before making metal thingies. I'd try getting rid of all your logs.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 26, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »

It's possible that they'll work on wood before making metal thingies. I'd try getting rid of all your logs.
That's probably it then because in every case I had wood present. Just curious, which one is more profitable? Considering that wood requires an extra step (cutting down trees) I would assume wood planks sell for more but then again license plates require the press machine. Speaking of which they should really change the requirements for workshops to be just a saw machine instead of both the pressing machine and saw machine because if you chose to just use carpentry the other table just takes up space.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 27, 2014, 03:51:02 pm »

That's probably it then because in every case I had wood present. Just curious, which one is more profitable? Considering that wood requires an extra step (cutting down trees) I would assume wood planks sell for more but then again license plates require the press machine. Speaking of which they should really change the requirements for workshops to be just a saw machine instead of both the pressing machine and saw machine because if you chose to just use carpentry the other table just takes up space.

Wood is by far the most profitable. I haven't run the exact number, but all I know is that in my prison I get 5k for licence plates and 30k from wood each day.
Wood also only requires one work station.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a17) - Guards have teeth
« Reply #837 on: January 31, 2014, 09:42:36 am »

So Alpha 17 is out.

Trees take longer to grow and there is a new forestry zone where gardeners will automatically plant trees and trees fully grown will be autoharvested.

There are now armed guards.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a17) - Guards have teeth
« Reply #838 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:27 am »

Patch day. Updated OP.

Changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PanH

• Bay Watcher