Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 178608 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #165 on: June 06, 2014, 11:28:48 am »

((No, I meant that, unless the VR runs some complex neural network simulation or similar to allow things to walk in it, then it probably already has that data that allows things to walk in it and thus you could probably copy them directly. Even if it uses a neural network or similar simulation to allow things to walk, you could see about copying that and trimming it down a bit to fit in robot bodies if it's too large.))
((Well, the VR scene is definitely not a computer system in the conventional sense. It's more like an all-simulator. The NPC brains in it function not because they are told to function, but because they, as far as the simulation is concerned, actually function. Neurons firing and all. At least that's the impression I got. So just pulling the database out of some hidden memory pocket is pretty much impossible. Not to mention that messing with the VR system, even at the software level, is liable to cause damage to it... and I'd rather not risk that. *glances warily at Simus*

As for copying and trimming it down... well, the VR system is portable insofar as a single human can carry it on himself... but I'd rather not resort to such measures when alternatives are present. The Artee has a simulated environment that's extremely simplified, and that uses premade walk cycles and environments with a simple physics engine and neural learning algorithms to procedurally determine the best movement solutions given the body's current state. It works for calculating deviations from the standard, but the standard needs to be established first, and Anton and Saint spent the better part of a year working on those just for the Artee.))
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:32:51 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2014, 11:51:45 am »

((I'm pretty sure the VR is a good bit simpler than that.  Firstly because, if it could simulate human brains, and a bunch of human brains, that's pretty darn useful.  And if it did that, we wouldn't have a job, because the VR could just simulate a few copies of the greatest inventor who ever lived.  And there's better examples, such as the punch-many-things girl explicitly saying she's not sentient, she just had several million one-liners programmed into her for a multitude of situations.

Most of the stuff that seems symptomatic of that is just due to the meta-ness of VR, it being very good at faking stuff through thousands of years with millons of programmers refining it, and the fact it pumps you full of chemicals that makes you very suggestable.  Mostly the last one, really, but still.

Anyways, I edit'd my action to be more helpful to Anton.  Also, Paris, why didn't you stay on Hephaestus?!  You should really be here, helping us IC.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 06, 2014, 07:08:11 pm »

Charles saunters over to the ARESTEVE terminal and inquires: "Are there any speech decompensators here? If not, what is required to make one?"
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2014, 12:26:57 am »

Existing hardware, Anton - not new designs using it. I'll get some scout drones made, and we'll see what we need from there. Again I will say - if it's what I think it is, infantry-scale simply isn't going to cut it. Maybe remote-control battlesuits.

Oh, and just curious - if your goal is a combat telepresence, why are you attempting to make it a drone as well? Why not simply install a system that has the one using it in a VR rig or something, with their motion in the virtual environment sending the appropriate signal patterns to the body, and the body's cameras constructing the scene around it in VR for the user?

Simus finishes the conversation, and then leaves for her own private VR-space again, summoning a scout drone and pulling it apart to look for any method of using it without using the rockets.

Aresteve, could you please have a pallet or two of scout drones made, so we can get some cameras into the damaged areas?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2014, 01:00:19 am »

Existing hardware, Anton - not new designs using it. I'll get some scout drones made, and we'll see what we need from there. Again I will say - if it's what I think it is, infantry-scale simply isn't going to cut it. Maybe remote-control battlesuits.

Oh, and just curious - if your goal is a combat telepresence, why are you attempting to make it a drone as well? Why not simply install a system that has the one using it in a VR rig or something, with their motion in the virtual environment sending the appropriate signal patterns to the body, and the body's cameras constructing the scene around it in VR for the user?

"Oh, I got that. But given where we'll be sending these I doubt we'll be able to get a good radio signal back out, nevermind visuals and telemetry. So it'll help if these bodies won't fall over the moment we have a lapse of radio contact. And I'm also making them into drones so that we can bring extras. Pilot a few, have the rest tag along. Until we have Sod creation sped up, this is the fastest we'll be able to get bodies on the ground.

And really, XO? We're sending these down into underground caverns with possible hard-to-navigate passages and the everpresent danger of collapse, and you propose to send battlesuits? I don't know exactly what this is, but I suspect we're going to have to do a lot of precision demolitions to get rid of it, and human-sized bodies are most likely to get there. Though I don't object to keeping a battlesuit or two on standby, just in case the first approach fails and we end up needing more brute power and defense,  but I suspect that if it gets to that, we might as well get in there personally to blow it to kingdom come.
"

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2014, 02:05:57 am »

You know the most likely reason for the information blackout down there is destruction of devices that would send it, yes? We still have perfectly good communications with sensors around the area, so why presume that the area itself is a dead zone? And I doubt it's going to be hard-to-navigate passages and everpresent danger of collapse - the deep facilities are meant to bring large amounts of material to the facilities here near the surface for processing, and were most likely carved out by the same mining rigs as are producing the material. In light of that, it would make sense that they are both reinforced against collapse and relatively spacious, if not exactly fit for habitation, yes?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2014, 02:22:55 am »

You know the most likely reason for the information blackout down there is destruction of devices that would send it, yes? We still have perfectly good communications with sensors around the area, so why presume that the area itself is a dead zone? And I doubt it's going to be hard-to-navigate passages and everpresent danger of collapse - the deep facilities are meant to bring large amounts of material to the facilities here near the surface for processing, and were most likely carved out by the same mining rigs as are producing the material. In light of that, it would make sense that they are both reinforced against collapse and relatively spacious, if not exactly fit for habitation, yes?

"True. And whatever happened down there breached those facilities, with all of their reinforcement, and is slowly eating away at everything around it, spreading. Whatever it is, is capable of destroying reinforced concrete and steel superstructure, and quite likely has substituted itself for them as it spread, introducing points of weakness through the construction. That's if it's some kind of anomalous drilling rig and not, say, a sentient flesh sack with glands leaking acid or an amalgam-forming compound, in which case we could suddenly have a whole section of reinforced supercrete tunnels down there acquire the structural strength of laminated cardboard. I do not want to assume things - I'd rather be prepared to deal with something worse than the current situation, than find out that the current situation is worse than what I've prepared for."

Anton chuckles. "Heh. I'm sure you've noticed that tendency of mine by now."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 07, 2014, 02:51:25 am »

If anything, that theory would make the argument for using heavy units first stronger - if the tunnels are weakened as you suggest, and did collapse around whatever we send, then a heavy unit would stand a better chance of still being able to perform its mission, by virtue of having the power necessary to 'wade through', so to speak, amalgamated or acid-weakened material. Especially if we equip them with high-power cutting tools that would be cumbersome at best for an infantry-scale unit to use.

I do not want to assume things either. I also want to get the internal issues here out of the way as soon as possible, so we can do our jobs. If anything, the best solution for both wants would likely be a few high-yield warheads, and damn the collateral damage - we can repair it. But that would take time and reduce our productive capability while we fixed it, so I'm willing to entertain less destructive options for now.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:57:06 am by PyroDesu »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2014, 03:11:14 am »

If anything, that theory would make the argument for using heavy units first stronger - if the tunnels are weakened as you suggest, and did collapse around whatever we send, then a heavy unit would stand a better chance of still being able to perform its mission, by virtue of having the power necessary to 'wade through', so to speak, amalgamated or acid-weakened material. Especially if we equip them with high-power cutting tools that would be cumbersome at best for an infantry-scale unit to use.

I do not want to assume things either. I also want to get the internal issues here out of the way as soon as possible, so we can do our jobs. If anything, the best solution for both wants would likely be a few high-yield warheads, and damn the collateral damage - we can repair it. But that would take time and reduce our productive capability while we fixed it, so I'm willing to entertain less destructive options for now.

"Okay then, let's keep battlesuits as plan B. Actually my plan B involved using some of the heavy-duty mining equipment to get down there, but battlesuits figure into that nicely. Nukes and other large-scale destruction options will then be plan C. But if me and Saint can get these remote synthoids working, we'll be able to get down there in much shorter order than if we start making battlesuits. Going in light, planting demolition charges, and taking the thing down in a controlled manner seems to me the better plan A. In the meantime, I'd really like to know what we're really up against."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2014, 03:29:50 am »

I've already sent the order to have a pallet or so of scout eyes put together so that we can put eyes on the area.

And now that I think about it, if it is that flesh monstrosity, we could use neutron warheads. That could kill the thing in short order - provided we use enough. So, large scale destruction would really be plan D, I suppose.

Anyway, we should have eyes down there soon, so get what you need to be done, done.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2014, 03:50:25 am »

I've already sent the order to have a pallet or so of scout eyes put together so that we can put eyes on the area.

And now that I think about it, if it is that flesh monstrosity, we could use neutron warheads. That could kill the thing in short order - provided we use enough. So, large scale destruction would really be plan D, I suppose.

Anyway, we should have eyes down there soon, so get what you need to be done, done.

"Будет исполнено, komrad Simus!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2014, 09:15:41 am »

You know the most likely reason for the information blackout down there is destruction of devices that would send it, yes? We still have perfectly good communications with sensors around the area, so why presume that the area itself is a dead zone?
Because it's underground? Seems like that would impede most methods of communication.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2014, 05:42:57 pm »

You know the most likely reason for the information blackout down there is destruction of devices that would send it, yes? We still have perfectly good communications with sensors around the area, so why presume that the area itself is a dead zone?
Because it's underground? Seems like that would impede most methods of communication.

((Do read the second half of the quoted part. We still have perfectly good communications (and had perfectly good communications within the zone until it appeared) around the area, which is still underground.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2014, 05:47:50 pm »

((Regardless, we should be prepared for the possibility that we would lose communications with robots there. Okay, I misunderstood the intent of that section, but still...seems like automation for the 'bots is a thing we should include. After all, if the cause was destruction, wouldn't we have record of them being destroyed?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2014, 06:59:15 pm »

((Regardless, we should be prepared for the possibility that we would lose communications with robots there. Okay, I misunderstood the intent of that section, but still...seems like automation for the 'bots is a thing we should include. After all, if the cause was destruction, wouldn't we have record of them being destroyed?))

((You're acting like they were destroyed a long time ago. They are being destroyed now. Or being taken offline - I believe there was mention of a power junction being destroyed or damaged. Either way, the result is the same - and no, there wouldn't be record, since it's happening in the present.))
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 84