Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: New "DFGs" from Mike Mayday  (Read 14935 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: New "DFGs" from Mike Mayday
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 01:40:24 am »

Perhaps fork it making a "lazy noob pack lite" which just includes DFG and/or phoebus, Stonesense, therapist and DFhack(preferably the non integrated version because it adds extra complexity, another window to deal with, more instability (i've had it crash on occasion,currently i'm using the stand alone version when i need it)). Pair it with lazynoob plus which includes all the bloat and etc.Also include a lite addon download which you can dump into your lite folder to upgrade it(if possible?)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2012, 08:57:07 am »

MarcAFK that wasn't even part of the point.

The point was that The Lazy Noob Pack while good adds needless distractions onto a new player coupled with the fact that the LNP community adamantly supports it and pushes all aspects of it ("Yeah you don't have to use any of the extra stuff 'yet'")

Players need a complete graphics pack that is just graphics and that requires no extra set up. Which is what Mikemayday's used to supply (to the extent it was possible). I'd consider it supperior to the Lazy Noob Pack for true noobs. I always considered the LNP to refer to "Add-on noobs".

Either way for a noob the LNP is a 95 while MM would be a 97.

It wouldn't matter HOW "lite" the Lazynoobpack got. Also I find it funny that the "lite" version has four-five additions. How many of those are REALLY needed in a lite version?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:11:40 am by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2012, 11:53:11 am »

The point was that The Lazy Noob Pack while good adds needless distractions onto a new player

Completely agreed.  I'm reminded of that one player who was so dependent on Dwarf Therapist that s/he never discovered the built-in unit list.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]