Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PC Building, Purchasing and Rating thread  (Read 2488 times)

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
Re: The new GeForce GTX 780Ti
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 04:45:52 am »

See? With a box like that, 95% of the cases where you can't run something will be because of some sort of compatibility issue relating to the software, rather than the hardware not being good enough.

So things will be alright, I guess?
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 05:43:36 am »

*compares specs*
Yes. Things will be verymuch alright. :P

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 06:00:52 am »

With that thing you can run games at max for the next 5 years or so...probably.

Hell, running Crysis even on max doesn't mean anything anymore. My rig is 6 years old, wasn't the most powerful at purchase and can run all of the Crysis games on max.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 09:18:42 pm »

See? With a box like that, 95% of the cases where you can't run something will be because of some sort of compatibility issue relating to the software, rather than the hardware not being good enough.

So things will be alright, I guess?

Yep, as other have said, that's the sort of rig that you get if you want to spend the next five or six years not even having to consider asking yourself if you can run something.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:00 pm »

Hell, running Crysis even on max doesn't mean anything anymore. My rig is 6 years old, wasn't the most powerful at purchase and can run all of the Crysis games on max.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 03:00:10 pm »

I am really hardware iliterate so half of this shit is gibberish to me anyways. I couldnt build a computer for the life of me.

I dont have a choice, it is the only computer with Devils Canyon in it, and I REALLY want Devils Canyon.

Does not compute.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 09:52:48 am »

I am really hardware iliterate so half of this shit is gibberish to me anyways. I couldnt build a computer for the life of me.

I dont have a choice, it is the only computer with Devils Canyon in it, and I REALLY want Devils Canyon.

Does not compute.

My hardware knowlegde is limited rather :P

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 11:49:32 am »

Intel Core I7-4790K at 4x4.5 GHz
Antac Kuhler H20 950 Water Cooling
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
2 x Kingston 8GB DDR3-2400 HyperX Beast XMP
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Asus GeForce GTX 780Ti OC 3GB
Seasonic 750RT 80 Gold powersupply
Asus ROG SupremeFX 2014 sound card
Asus 24x DVD-burner

Couple of things (actually lots)
No point on getting the Devil's Canyon or the K series chips unless you are going to overclock them, as much as 4.5Ghz is nice the i7 series is pretty much the end point for processing power. Literally save yourself 50 bucks and get a real sound card like a Soundblaster.

Watercooling won't be needed unless again you are overclocking. A Coolermaster 212 EVO is the best air cooler for quiet performance.

Ram, 2400mhz you aren't going to see the huge performance jump you are expecting with that price plus this requires a CPU overclock (base clock for haswell is 1866) which will stress out the cpu even more for this high of a clock. 2133 is the highest ill ever go but for simplicity sake stick with base 1600 or 1866, spend your money on lower latency chips.

EVO drives, you said you want something future proof? this ain't it. The EVO series are the fastest SSDs on the SATA market but that comes at a cost as the new chip fabrication being used has a lower writing cycle. Im not saying you would burn it out fast but these are definitely not designed to last you for the years. Recommend getting the PRO series which are a bit slower but will last alot longer. Also i would pickup some Terabyte hard drives too, they are now going 60 bucks and best way to store media files without clogging the SSD (trust me, i try to use much of my SSD for games and programs and keep all my videos and stuff on my hard drives, save space for the important stuff that needs speed)

Now for the video card. Keep it, the 780TI is best card (compared with similar performance the AMD 290x) to buy for the performance and the buck. Titans are garbage and not worth the price. You want performance to last you the decade you gotta spend and the GPU is the biggest chunk of cost for futureproofing. If at some point you wanna do 4K or extreme multimonitoring just get another one for SLI, would need a bigger PSU but still better than buying Titans.

thats it for my side.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »

I decided to cut down a lot on the budget and I am going to order this one instead:

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 4x3,60GHz (Turbo 4.0GHz) 8MB cache
 Kingston 16GB DDR3-1866 HyperX Fury RAM
Asus B85M-G
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD Solid State Disk
Asus GeForce GTX770 2GB
Raidmax 635W
Asus 24x DVD-burner (EDIT: OOOPS left a bit of danish in it from the site)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Some Hi-Def soundcard they wouldnt give the name of

What do you guys think of this?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:55:22 am by Eclectic Wizard »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PC Building, Purchasing and Rating thread
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 08:26:57 pm »

Worth noting that the speed of an SSD is fairly irrelevant, since within the industry (so far as I know) there is very little variation. The jump in speed from a hard drive to an SSD is huge, but between SSDs what you're really looking for is durability and capacity.

Also worth noting that some analysts think higher VRAM (like 3GB) is going to become more important in the next 5-10 years, so that may be a consideration when picking a card. Don't think there are many on the market yet though, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Also also worth noting that a system lives (and more importantly) dies by its PSU, so get one that has widely positive reviews and is more than sufficient for your power needs (there's also a lot of shady stuff with reporting misleading voltages and the like).

Also also also worth noting that 16 GB of RAM is probably still going to be pointless in the near future, as you'd have to be a psycho to actually have enough stuff running to go past 8 GB. That money is better spent on pretty much anything else.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 03:40:43 am »

Worth noting that the speed of an SSD is fairly irrelevant, since within the industry (so far as I know) there is very little variation. The jump in speed from a hard drive to an SSD is huge, but between SSDs what you're really looking for is durability and capacity.

Also worth noting that some analysts think higher VRAM (like 3GB) is going to become more important in the next 5-10 years, so that may be a consideration when picking a card. Don't think there are many on the market yet though, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Also also worth noting that a system lives (and more importantly) dies by its PSU, so get one that has widely positive reviews and is more than sufficient for your power needs (there's also a lot of shady stuff with reporting misleading voltages and the like).

Also also also worth noting that 16 GB of RAM is probably still going to be pointless in the near future, as you'd have to be a psycho to actually have enough stuff running to go past 8 GB. That money is better spent on pretty much anything else.
'

I am the kind of psycho that has 3 browsers with 200+ tabs open, a game running and a video rendering at the same time, so I need the processing power.
This is the best computer on the danish market that I can afford, and I have a 2 year guarantee on it so if it breaks down within those 2 years it can get replaced.
Should I upgrade the PSU once I can afford it, though?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:38 am »

the load for that graphics card tops out at 400w, with that PSU i would expect 2 years before you start seeing issues as the capacitors age.
Pages: 1 [2]