Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Share in my grief...  (Read 1569 times)

ougadas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Share in my grief...
« on: February 25, 2011, 03:39:03 am »

Playing a .19 generated pocket region and have 1, yes 1, dwarf halfway outfitted in steel due to no bituminous or lignite, and sparse tree life.

She is my only warrior.

She slaughters crundles and troglodytes like they were blades of grass, 30 kills.

But her skill with the spear and armor remained only proficient, she became a talented fighter, but was still dabbling with the shield, and had no skill at dodging.

And then, behold, the Forgotten Beast comes, it is a dimetrodon with thick scales and its bite is poisonous!

It crashes through the forbidden door from the caverns, and I think.. aha.. my cage traps will capture it!

No such luck.

But then there is my lone warrior dwarf, sacrificing herself to buy the other dwarves time to run from the oncoming fun.

Except she doesn't. She bites the dimetrodon on the toe, and it drags her 9 tiles while she stabs it in the head with her spear.

My poorly trained half steel clad lone warrior single handedly took down a forgotten beast.

When a reacher intruded a couple minutes later, I didn't think twice about sending her after him.

She chases him down but just before she gets to him he escapes at the edge, and the game crashes.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Such is life in Alpha.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Share in my grief...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 03:52:15 am »

Seasonal autosave with backups is your friend.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 03:55:37 am »

Seasonal autosave with backups is your friend.

He would have lost what happened nonetheless.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:53:03 am »

She chases him down but just before she gets to him he escapes at the edge, and the game crashes.

Cancel any kill orders before the enemy marked for death gets off the map to avoid that bug.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

ougadas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:59:44 am »

Yeah, have a seasonal backup about a month before the FB. Hoping she can do the job again. =)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:45:05 am »

Just save manually after important events. After killing forgotten beast for example.
I do it in all games practically. Even commercial, "finished" games can crash sometimes.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:07:08 am »

DF is shockingly stable for an alpha, all things considered. I've suffered crashes that made me abandon forts out of sheer discouragement though. Even with seasonal saves sometimes you just don't wanna go through with all the micromanagement you know a particularly bad season is going to offer you.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 11:55:59 am »

DF is shockingly stable for an alpha, all things considered. I've suffered crashes that made me abandon forts out of sheer discouragement though. Even with seasonal saves sometimes you just don't wanna go through with all the micromanagement you know a particularly bad season is going to offer you.

Once again, the term "alpha" is meaningless to compare to other alphas since this is a game that has been actively playtested for several years.  Commercial game alphas are the "we only managed to get the bulk of the features to compile, so we have something that actually looks kind of like a game if you squint" and last for a few months. DF has been developing and bug-hunting for years.  It's comparing apples and orangutans, they're nothing at all alike.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 12:54:36 pm »

S0 she bit it in it's toe.. then proceeded to stab at it with her spear.. while it tried to escape, with her being dragged along with it?

I can easily picture it in my head. Someone should draw the scenario.  :D

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 12:02:48 pm »

on the topic of under-skilled dorfs doing ridiculous things.

i had a lvl 3 hunter who was lvl 7 with a crossbow hunting in a jungle... it ran into some elephants and true to dwarven survival instincts it proceeded to diligently shoot wooden bolts at them! i came into this half way though though... he had one of them unconscious and another dazed. the other elephants luckily didn't join in on the fun and this gusty armature hunter proceeded to lazily pluck off shots into the 2 wounded beasts.

alas! he runs out of ammo. so what dose he do? run back to the stockpile and fetch some more rounds before his kills can escape? nup, Urist McHunter is tired after severely wounding 2 elephant bulls so he just plops down where he is and has a nap. luckily after being made a dwarfs bitch the 2 elephants had had enough and ran on their crippled legs as fast as they could as soon as they woke.

not even a season later the hunter is re-stocked on poorly made wooden bolts and ready for the hunt again, i watch closely this time as he immediately makes his way for a densely packed heard of elephants and a giant tiger! luckily the tiger wonders off... though after the last hunting trip i kinda wondered if he could have taken it on... anyway, not wanting to get all tuckered out like last time my huntsman decides to only take on one of the elephants this time. strangely passive to their friend getting murdered they wonder off and now my not-even-a-year-old fortress has enough meat for the coming 3 years.

the hunter is only just a lvl 8 marksman and his crossbow and bolts are all bottom quality.
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?