Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux help  (Read 3117 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Linux help
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:25:54 pm »

I have recently installed Linux Ubuntu on a friends laptop but I can't get his wireless usb modem installed. When I try to run the install disk it says it can't run any files with the .exe extension. Anyone know how to fix that?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Linux help
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:32:56 pm »

I have recently installed Linux Ubuntu on a friends laptop but I can't get his wireless usb modem installed. When I try to run the install disk it says it can't run any files with the .exe extension. Anyone know how to fix that?

Linux cannot run exe-files natively, and even if it could this would be a Windows driver. Your best chance would be to look for a driver package on the manufacturer website or install the latest kernel (and hope the drivers are already included).
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 08:34:18 pm »

What he said /\
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 08:35:52 pm »

Ok so I need to get online to get the drivers for it. Ok that shouldn't be hard.

Edit: I need WINE to run exe's right?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:21:30 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:25:08 pm »

Another, unmentioned option would be to simply use windows.
Shoes...

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:26:09 pm »

Yes, you need wine to use .exe files, but it doesn't work quite like that... you can't install drivers for Linux to use with wine.

Wireless is notoriously difficult to setup on Linux. I've been using Fedora (I recommend Fedora over Ubuntu, by the way) for three years and I haven't ever been able to setup wireless. Maybe I'm just lazy. You'll need something like ndiswrapper... your best bet is to post on the ubuntu forums.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:26:33 pm »

It's out of the question, thank you

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 09:32:08 pm »

Considering said friend has a penchant for following popups into the deepest recesses of the internet with a non updated copy of Norton, Windows is pretty much out of the picture. So I have to hope the company has a linux driver for the USB drive I got or run it wired. No biggie.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 10:58:28 am »

It's out of the question, thank you
That'd defeat the whole purpose that would.

On topic: Horor stories about Linux and wireless cards it one reason i haven't dumped vista on my (fairly) new laptop. (The other is Starcraft II)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 11:38:21 am »

It's funny, everyone always talks about how awful Windows is, but I never have problems with it.  Maybe it just loves me.

(I use Windows XP Professional)
Shoes...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 01:11:58 pm »

It's funny, everyone always talks about how awful Windows is, but I never have problems with it.  Maybe it just loves me.

(I use Windows XP Professional)
I generally don't have trouble with windows, but it still seems to find ways to irritate me while working just fine. Also, it rarely seems tell you what it's doing.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:28 am »

USB Wifi cards are hit and miss.  Usually the cheap ones are a miss.  There are some expensive cards that use a proprietary chipset, but it's a little rarer than the cheap devices.  Your best bet (if it's not that big of a deal) is to look up USB Wireless cards that work with Ubuntu.
Here's a start: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

If you MUST use the card you have and it requires the NDIS Wrapper: (oh I hope not...)
http://www.ubuntukungfu.org/blog/2008/11/make-almost-any-wifi-card-work-with-ubuntu/

I will say that if/when you get it working, the wireless network tool in Ubuntu is downright awesome compared to Windows.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 03:41:46 am »

Yeah, I determined that no one has managed to get the specific card I have to work through any sort of work around but I also discovered thanks to your link that one of the other cards I have lying around works with it. Thanks a lot.