- 0 (0%)
Bloodsinger
- 0 (0%)
Boar
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 27, 2023, 04:40:22 am

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52

Author Topic: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - COMPLETED  (Read 22599 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 12 - REBELLION
« Reply #465 on: June 05, 2023, 10:54:08 am »

There are a few different "first strike" effects now, (Owain, the Watchtower, Boars, Crimson Drum...) what takes precedence if opposing armies both claim first strike?

Edit to add: Also, does the "march to random village" equate to a teleport or do they interact with each territory they pass through on the way?

Edit2: Will destroying the Blasted Oak force its Skeletons to crumble?

Edit3: Is it conquering "any" Squelsh Village that nets reprisal, or just ones that owe fealty to Owain? Also is he at all concerned with unaligned villages?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:09:10 am by Kashyyk »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 05, 2023, 11:03:43 am »

That dragon is rolling hot!
No kidding.

The Host has a chance of attacking the owner of a Marrowfat artefact instead of a village if any are present on the map.
What is the probability that he attacks the owner of a Marrowfat artefact? Which square does he attack in such a case, is this random? Does Owain join in these attacks in person?

The Host of Prince Owain is not in the list of unique locations yet btw.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 05, 2023, 11:08:34 am »

I somewhat wonder if having the libraries are more of a danger then they are worth, they make the game a lot more interesting for sure, but they do seem to be popping out hard to deal with threats at a high rate. In this case, if I understand correctly, owain is going to be picking off a random village every turn, and making it a very dicey proposition to take them back, until basically we go conquer K4, which is, minimum, 4 turns away (and that'd be with A1 bombing for it as fast as possible and assuming no other threats popped up in the way)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 05, 2023, 11:11:52 am »

If he happens to attack K12 on his first roll that might be the end of us. Which would be pretty funny.
Might be a bit tricky, but even then I think you'd have some clever ways to beat him.

There are a few different "first strike" effects now, (Owain, the Watchtower, Boars, Crimson Drum...) what takes precedence if opposing armies both claim first strike?
The general principle is the more specific rules supersede general rules. So in this case, the order should go, from first to last:

Crimson Drum (specific, artefact-based) -> The Watchtower (specific) -> Boars (unit effect) -> Owain (global effect)

Does that match with people's intuitions here? I'm prevaricating a bit on the last two, but my thinking is that boars are inherently more prone to charging than the barbarians.

What is the probability that he attacks the owner of a Marrowfat artefact? Which square does he attack in such a case, is this random? Does Owain join in these attacks in person?
It's an even probability (if there are 26 player-owned villages, and one Marrowfat artefact, he has a 1 in 27 chance of attacking it). Artefacts are held in the main castle unless explicitly assigned to a scout or marching army or set of defenders in another castle or fort. Owain marches with the army and will move from place to place each turn.

The Host of Prince Owain is not in the list of unique locations yet btw.
One moment...

I somewhat wonder if having the libraries are more of a danger then they are worth, they make the game a lot more interesting for sure, but they do seem to be popping out hard to deal with threats at a high rate. In this case, if I understand correctly, owain is going to be picking off a random village every turn, and making it a very dicey proposition to take them back, until basically we go conquer K4, which is, minimum, 4 turns away (and that'd be with A1 bombing for it as fast as possible and assuming no other threats popped up in the way)
Well, they raise both the power and danger level, as they seed many more artefacts into the world than would appear with normal tile generation. Most of the sites offer some sort of reward for beating them (even Owain does), but whether that balances out the danger they present is debatable.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 05, 2023, 11:14:56 am »

Understandably, you missed some questions I edited in.

The Specific beats General rule is intuitive, and what I assumed. I'm sure we can always ask for clarification in weird edge cases.

Edit to add: Also, does the "march to random village" equate to a teleport or do they interact with each territory they pass through on the way?

Edit3: Is it conquering "any" Squelsh Village that nets reprisal, or just ones that owe fealty to Owain? Also is he at all concerned with unaligned villages?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:19:02 am by Kashyyk »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 05, 2023, 11:18:28 am »

They sneak their way into the villages, bypassing other tiles. They still can't travel on water or mountain tiles, which might be more relevant if you pick up the right artefacts.

That's a reasonable assumption to make. There are rules in the OP about destroying terrain.

They care about all Squelsh villages (I should have made it give reprisal from the beginning). I'll rule that they won't give reprisal for taking a monster or Thornish aligned villages (as it's not making things worse) but they will still try and retake any Lord-owned village.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 05, 2023, 11:21:10 am »

I came here to ask the same question. I'm assuming if I sent a cat in to turn that forest into a marsh it would kill the evil oak?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 05, 2023, 11:21:41 am »

Does that match with people's intuitions here? I'm prevaricating a bit on the last two, but my thinking is that boars are inherently more prone to charging than the barbarians.

I'm okay with whatever rule is decided so long as it's clear.

I think it'd be simpler to just have all strikes first effects work, and things that are striking first would then go in the standard order of attacker defender. So if you have say an army of boars+skeletons attack an army of with the drum it'd go
Attacking boars attack
Defenders attack
Attacking skeletons attack
Normal combat rounds from then on and such.

But really whatever so long as we know the rules is okay with me :P

Owain marches with the army and will move from place to place each turn.

Ah, does that mean he'll effectively spends a turn "defending" every village he takes? And thus would be open to a reprisal attack? If so, that makes him much less of a threat, abet still one that will require player co-operation to take down.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 05, 2023, 11:30:23 am »

I came here to ask the same question. I'm assuming if I sent a cat in to turn that forest into a marsh it would kill the evil oak?
I think I said before that unique site forests specifically can be destroyed by bog cats, yes.

I think it'd be simpler to just have all strikes first effects work, and things that are striking first would then go in the standard order of attacker defender. So if you have say an army of boars+skeletons attack an army of with the drum it'd go
Attacking boars attack
Defenders attack
Attacking skeletons attack
Normal combat rounds from then on and such.
Oh that's more simple and I don't have remember what I ruled on to be consistent. Let's go with this.

Ah, does that mean he'll effectively spends a turn "defending" every village he takes? And thus would be open to a reprisal attack? If so, that makes him much less of a threat, abet still one that will require player co-operation to take down.
Yes that's right.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 05, 2023, 12:14:52 pm »

If two battles happen near the oak, and it's occupied, will there be two battles against skeletons or one?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 05, 2023, 12:22:12 pm »

If two battles happen near the oak, and it's occupied, will there be two battles against skeletons or one?
Two, as the summons happen at the end of each individual combat.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 05, 2023, 12:29:20 pm »

Can a ship reach B2 from A3?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 05, 2023, 12:34:27 pm »

Does the skeletons appearing via Summon count as "attacking" the territory?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 05, 2023, 12:37:35 pm »

Can a ship reach B2 from A3?
It can land there but not sail along the water that way to B1 etc

Does the skeletons appearing via Summon count as "attacking" the territory?
If a player conquers it and a new enemy unit spawns in a player-owned tile, that enemy unit counts as attacking.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 05, 2023, 02:31:27 pm »

@Kashyyk: I can spare 7 units to aid with the dragon this turn. Do you want to take it on? It can't be insanely lucky like this forever.
If I can keep the Golden Net, I would propose for you to get the Bane and to split the gold proportional to unit count. However, to save the GM some work you can take the gold and we can do the calculation next turn.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52