Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

DDKDJAJJGS?

ATTGREAGR!
How do I delete polls?
fghyfgjyugfk

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Civcraft Thread Mk II Dusk of the empire [Check OP for link to new one]  (Read 46982 times)

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:30:15 pm by Bob_Namg »
Adam Sandler.

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold MkII - Possible New Stronghold
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:47:37 pm »

Reserved for guides for new folks

Slight clarification for oldfriends: I'm not asking you guys to completely abandon sparkgears, I just want people who can relate to the /tg/ crowd to help get such a town/stronghold going.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:57:58 pm by Bob_Namg »
Adam Sandler.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Consider me interested, I'll always be a part of that server but haven't been around for months. I'm on the fence about leaving Kaiserin though, I mean if I'm not active anyway I might as well stay where I am right?
Edit: I'm going to have to correct your timeline somewhat, We joined civcraft looooong before chanada existed etc.
Essentially :Shortly after the start of civcraft 2.0 Goldminer and a few others fled the city of [?] after heavy griefing caused by people recruited by the leader of Atlas who started wars all over the area in order to drive more migrants towards Atlas's security. Goldminer and others were looking for somewhere quiet and out of the way, some went far north, but goldminer decided on a secluded underground location in the far south, he buried the entrance to a long rail line under his city of stoneark near atlas. Dumathoin thrived for a time and recruited a few from bay12, but was eventually abandoned in part due to disagreements with goldminer over construction (his autocratic iron fist would not accept any deviation from his grand masterplan). The city passed to someone who's name escapes me, he gave the place to the leader of FAGT. Long later I suggested to the dwarven invaders that we 'reclaim' the abandoned city which FAGT agreed to. FAGT's leader rydenlol was busy constructing the nearby city of Titan which had reclaimed the Stoneark-dumathoin rail line and extended it to Commonwealth-Titan. A small branch still existed from Titan-Dumathoin however.
Bay12 entered the city and built a rather quaint surface town we named Dale on the ruins of a FAGT newfriend town. However eventually Goldminer returned and with Sanwi's help broke our bank and looted some stuff, peace was reached some of the stuff was returned and we convinced him to stay with us. However he soon became unreasonable and after much unpleasantness we were driven from the city, I fled just as Dale was razed to the ground (He cited security issues, ironically the civcraft map still clearly shows dale right above dumathoin). We fled west and south to Sparkgear (Not 'Sparkgears', I made one damn typo and everyone's repeated it, to be honest I think it was printed on a sign everyone walked past right constantly at the entrance) which was still in the land of FAGT. Not long before we eventually lost interest and abandoned Sparkgear the chanadians came, they settled in the land of Stoneark which they named Viridian, and managed to get goldminers consent, they soon did to stoneark exactly what goldminer did to Dale. Viridian self destructed in a wave of violence and political intrigue and backstabbing, Viridian's old leader fled to Titan and took over from ryden's second in command who was by this time inactive too.  Then the Titan war started, I'll be brief, Titan was supplying the HCF and making a mint from it, but after some raids and vault breaks the HCF started hiding near Titan. Eventually the server turned on Titan and a gruelling months long siege was waged, eventually Titan was broken. I'll point out that by this time I was the only dwarf still around, then I buried Sparkgears storeroom and moved to Kaiserin. (Theres nothing of value there, but theres still stuff in peoples room, or used to be, I should have broken all the chests and reclaimed it myself).
That's about what I remember anyway.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:03:48 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile

Consider me interested, I'll always be a part of that server but haven't been around for months. I'm on the fence about leaving Kaiserin though, I mean if I'm not active anyway I might as well stay where I am right?
Well considering Kaiserin is falling apart because of people like Chris Chrispie seceding (LOL) and Nova Caesar joining Kaiserin with Gensokyo (LOL!!) you'd probably be better off joining the settlement project or Volk or something.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:51:29 am by Bob_Namg »
Adam Sandler.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Those are actually VERY useful skills considering this is going to be a stronghold/town thing started from scratch. (-2700, 10000) is actually a good spot, the only concern would be it's due south of the Chanadian vault so I don't know if it will overlap with that territory, but it's a good location. I'll ask Josh-Josh about it. (-3000, 10700) is also an optimal spot which I know doesn't overlap anything, there might even be an old ice road near there I could have BG/Peachur hook up to the town.

Looking to the west, there's something on the other side of that river.  I can see what looks like a massive quarry at around -2375, 10600 which could be adapted if the town is formed up a bit to the south of that location.  May want one a little closer to the rest of the towns in Chanada, though.  Maybe -200, 8727?  Looks like there is something to the west, though...as well as something to the north...and a bridge to the south...

Edit: Ravine we could work off of at 412, 9490 that could be potentially worked off of.

Edit2: Or the harbor a bit to its north.  Maybe the Ravine as a backdoor area...  Edit3: Nevermind.  Way too close to an already active city of Chanada.

If you want to get started on it swing by Volkstadt and we'll provide supplies and might pay our own new to help you dig/build at the location you're favoring.

I believe I have some stuff from the old forts in my inventory still.  I have no idea where Volkstadt is anyway.

If you want to get on the Mumble (you don't even need a mic), there should be some people on tomorrow when you're on, I'll preemptively PM the token for the /pol/ channel. Also I made a new thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151854.0

Tomorrow is when the first weekend shill wave will go down, so if we get /tg/ newfags I might be deferring most to you directly if you're on to show them the ropes and get the construction of the stronghold going.

Won't be able to be on til the 15th effectively.  May go on a couple times, but other than that, not really.

Another thing, please refrain from making the city within a grid, as I and others have observed planning too far ahead/building grid layouts for towns has killed them.
I do think the stronghold with a town is a good set-up, patterns and districting are optimal but I don't want to see /tg/-Bay12 suffer the fate of other towns.

The only planning on my part you will see is trying what seems good at the time and trying to drag order out of chaos.  So long as there is at least a gap of seven between the walls of all buildings, I can fit a road through there.  Well that would be for a main road.  Very minimum is 3, but I would prefer 5 so there is a strip of green between the road and the walls.  Seven would be for a 3-wide road with a ditch that could contain access to a sewer area like I had started making in Dale.  A space of nine would be good for main roads.

Edit2: Hmmm...could have the entrance to the underground stronghold be through the 'sewers' of the aboveground area...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:07:43 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Icenia is nothing to Kaiserin, but our sister city of Vienna seems to be on the verge of causing an incident. The place might be abandoned but I'm sure we'll not give up the land without a fight. (Verbally anyway, Novaceasar and myself could break a siege just by argueing the assaulters into a nervous breakdown).
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile

quarry at around (-2375, 10600)
That's an alright location
(-200, 8727)
That is where the Reich Tower, capital of /pol/ynesia is located. The Journeymap is rather old, the west coast including the mountainous peninsula to the south are all occupied spaces. Essentially the range under Viridian is all that's available close to the northern states.
(412, 9490)
That is right on top of /k/ompound.
No idea where Volkstadt is anyway
That's my bad, I put it as "polynesia" in the OP, volkstadt is at (500, 7500)
May go on a couple times, but other than that, not really
That's fine, it isn't mandatory. The Mumble helps with communication. There's also a board on 8chan for Chanada (8chan.org/civ/).

A main road is definitely a good idea, it might be good to let the town develop naturally rather than predestine it too much. I do like the sewer idea. I did see the canals in SparkGears and I'd say they're not viable at all since boats are not viable at most times of the day since the server has lower tps.

Icenia is nothing to Kaiserin, but our sister city of Vienna seems to be on the verge of causing an incident. The place might be abandoned but I'm sure we'll not give up the land without a fight. (Verbally anyway, Novaceasar and myself could break a siege just by argueing the assaulters into a nervous breakdown).
Well if shit breaks down you're always welcome in Chanada.
Adam Sandler.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

-snip-

1313, 8705?
2024, 9363?

Trying to find some areas that are close to currently active cities of Chanada as I think it might lead to the settlement sticking around longer.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:27:39 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile

-snip-

1313, 8705?
2024, 9363?

Trying to find some areas that are close to currently active cities of Chanada as I think it might lead to the settlement sticking around longer.
That was the plan, really.

(1313, 8705) is part of Xiphias' claims, and doesn't really fit the theme of a stronghold well. If you wish I can clear the land with Tokyodrifter, he probably wouldn't give any fucks. Who knows.
(2024, 9363) is part of /k/'s territory.
Adam Sandler.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

(1313, 8705) is part of Xiphias' claims, and doesn't really fit the theme of a stronghold well. If you wish I can clear the land with Tokyodrifter, he probably wouldn't give any fucks. Who knows.
(2024, 9363) is part of /k/'s territory.

Hmmm...

-735, 8967 looks good.  However, I don't know what that thing to the south is.  Nor the thing to the Northeast.  Could probably go for something a little farther down, if I knew what -467, 9570 was...

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile

Hmmm...
-735, 8967 looks good.  However, I don't know what that thing to the south is.  Nor the thing to the Northeast.  Could probably go for something a little farther down, if I knew what -467, 9570 was...
(-735, 8967) is on top of Rockwell, which is mostly dead but I'm trying to avoid impeding on active territories
(-467, 9570) is in the middle of Akibara.

I think (-1200, 8500) is actually a good spot, there's already some old infrastructure running near there so it'd take little effort to connect the old /v/iridian-/int/is roadway to there, it's fairly mountainous, landlocked, and from there even without rails it'd be a solid 5 minute walk to get to Reichtower.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:36:29 am by Bob_Namg »
Adam Sandler.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I wasn't suggesting that as a location.  I wanted information about the area.

(-2375, 10600) (-2535, 10815) may turn out not to be so good, depending on what is at -3037, 11026 and -1994, 11283.

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile

I wasn't suggesting that as a location.  I wanted information about the area.

(-2375, 10600) (-2535, 10815) may turn out not to be so good, depending on what is at -3037, 11026 and -1994, 11283.
(-1200, 8500) is actually a good location for the stronghold/town thing, I just scouted it out and it really does seem viable. It's due west and less than 2 kliks away from Himmler Highland, there is even a road coming right up to the mountains out here. The mountains are large and jagged, right across the river is flatland that could be used for the above ground town portion. I really see (-1200, 8500) being the best option for the new settlement. The only concern is it borders Viridian almost exactly- Oh shit I'm thinking of Immelol Island. I might be able to settle you guys there anyway if you want it.
Woops actually that isn't Immelol, but it's right next to Viridian so there might be unnecessary overlap to avoid

(-2535, 10815) is a viable location, it's a bit far but it works.
(-3037, 11026) is in the middle of empty space, a bit far but it works too
(-1994, 11283) Is ditto to the other two

You know what would be better than right next to Viridian would be (-1250, 8975), which is south of Immelol but can be easily hooked up with HH's road.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:07:07 am by Bob_Namg »
Adam Sandler.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

(-1200, 8500) is actually a perfect location for the stronghold/town thing, I just scouted it out and it really does seem viable. It's due west and less than 2 kliks away from Himmler Highland, there is even a road coming right up to the mountains out here. The mountains are large and jagged, right across the river is flatland that could be used for the above ground town portion. I really see (-1200, 8500) being the best option for the new settlement. The only concern is it borders Viridian almost exactly- Oh shit I'm thinking of Immelol Island. I might be able to settle you guys there anyway if you want it.

May be able to get a bit of distance from Viridian if we go to -1220, 9199.  Would reduce distance by boat.  Problem is that it is a bit close to Akibara...

Heh.  Here's a wild hair.  2327, 9116.  Areas a bit shallow, so on it we build a massive tower.  Have the aboveground portion being a floating city akin to Atlantis and have the tower go down to an underground stronghold that has occasional spikes into a buildings on the Ocean floor.

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile

May be able to get a bit of distance from Viridian if we go to -1220, 9199.  Would reduce distance by boat.  Problem is that it is a bit close to Akibara...

Heh.  Here's a wild hair.  2327, 9116.  Areas a bit shallow, so on it we build a massive tower.  Have the aboveground portion being a floating city akin to Atlantis and have the tower go down to an underground stronghold that has occasional spikes into a buildings on the Ocean floor.
You know what, that Atlantis idea sounds pretty fucking cool. I don't know if the town would really do well though built like that nor am I sure it'd even get finished at all. (-1220, 9199) is a flawless location as far as I'm aware, it's distant enough from other claims and can be easily connected by rail and road. I think we might have our location.
Adam Sandler.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31