Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1416317 times)

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2385 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:19 pm »

Bralbaard; that is cool.  Seems like there would be roots sticking out of the ledge, there.

Just doodlan:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You have struck Microcline!

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: November 27, 2009, 08:37:29 pm »

Dwarven nazis?

Urist Hitler: Seig heil!

Just doodlan:

I like teh proportions of teh face on teh dwarf. Pleasing to de eyes in me head.
first gobbo eyes seem consistent, second gobbo eyes, left one seems a bit off from deh right.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: November 28, 2009, 02:03:34 pm »

As I said earlier I wanted to illustrate my views on the gobbos, and possibly the kobolds too.
I ended up with two A4 pages  with sketches and notes to myself, and since I am so lazy I didn't really bother refining it.                                 
 warning: bad writing is bad.

GOBBO
As you can see I went with my previous design of a kind of shell like skin on the head, ending in a beak. I have the dread-ish hair too.
down to the left is a kind of height comparison for myself regarding the different races.
Most of what's left to say, I have already said before.

Kobold
I've always imagined the kobold as a sort of sub-species derived from the goblin race, or that they are both descended from some kind of troll like creature.
I've also imagined them as a rapid evolving race much like the kroot, but in a different way.
They adapt to their environment fast, as their mutation rate is far higher than any other
half-intelligent race, or intelligent for that matter. 

If you want to know something, or if you can't understand my runic writing you can just pm me or something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: November 28, 2009, 03:13:12 pm »

Because I'm far too impatient, when I was looking around your diagram of the mace, I saw "Wooden Handle, metal lump on top" and I kept looking around for "Explosives on the inside" as I thought it was an old german-style grenade when I first saw it.

I really do like your Goblins though, but I think it's a crying shame that they're as tall as dwarves. I mean, I always mentally pictured them as being slightly tall, like green humans.

Are Elves and humans the same size? I forget.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: November 28, 2009, 03:16:10 pm »

just because two things are the same size doesn't mean they're the same height or length

and elephant and a whale are not the same length, but in DF they're the same size.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: November 28, 2009, 03:28:57 pm »

As I said earlier I wanted to illustrate my views on the gobbos, and possibly the kobolds too.
I ended up with two A4 pages  with sketches and notes to myself, and since I am so lazy I didn't really bother refining it.                                 

GOBBO
As you can see I went with my previous design of a kind of shell like skin on the head, ending in a beak. I have the dread-ish hair too.
down to the left is a kind of height comparison for myself regarding the different races.

Kobold
I've always imagined the kobold as a sort of sub-species derived from the goblin race, or that they are both descended from some kind of troll like creature.
I've also imagined them as a rapid evolving race much like the kroot, but in a different way.
They adapt to their environment fast, as their mutation rate is far higher than any other

If you want to know something, or if you can't understand my runic writing you can just pm me or something.

Your writing is better than mine.

Actually, what intrigued me most about your drawing was the tiny comparison elf. I would like to see a development of it. It seems to have character.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: November 28, 2009, 03:30:16 pm »

just because two things are the same size doesn't mean they're the same height or length

and elephant and a whale are not the same length, but in DF they're the same size.

I guess it's just that the sizing system is so simple...

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: November 28, 2009, 04:18:33 pm »

GOBBO

Kobold

Your writing is better than mine.

Actually, what intrigued me most about your drawing was the tiny comparison elf. I would like to see a development of it. It seems to have character.

yeah it's weird how my shit sketching skill did the elves more-than-justice...strange

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: November 28, 2009, 04:19:38 pm »

The kobold looks wrong too me, too human-like.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: November 28, 2009, 04:24:24 pm »

speaking of elves...

Svart: Name makes me think of those Gaul, Celt or Germanic tribes from back in the day. Stark-naked and painted blue from head to toe screaming like mad-men weilding a two-handed sword. At a bit of a loss thinking up of multiple types of elves that are distinct enough to not just be lumped into one of the above.

He doesn't ahve a big sword though, not enough room for it.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: November 28, 2009, 04:24:45 pm »

As far as I know the kobolds is supposed to look humanlike, with beaks or dog-like mouths.
But then again, my opinion, right?

What do you want a kobold to look like? Just wondering.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: November 28, 2009, 04:27:26 pm »

Kobolds are humanoid, but, that's a bit too human-like, and I prefer the kobolds to be a different species of humanoids, not a sub-species.

And Petra, Imma blow you out of the water with my next ascii!

Fault, tell me that isn't a tree hugging type of elf, and they are not, nice push of the envelope! <3

Tofu...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:31:27 pm by Foa »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: November 28, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »

Fault, tell me that isn't a tree hugging type of elf, and they are not, nice push of the envelope! <3

in terms of culture I'm thinking they'd take all the chaotic and violent aspects of DF elves, but with none of the rules or nature respect. After all, he is wearing dismembered pieces of trees and animals.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: November 28, 2009, 04:32:39 pm »

The kobold's look nice to me. I don't get what you mean by "Too humanoid" since they have bony elongated faces, claws, and fewer toes.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: November 28, 2009, 04:33:11 pm »

in terms of culture I'm thinking they'd take all the chaotic and violent aspects of DF elves, but with none of the rules or nature respect. After all, he is wearing dismembered pieces of trees and animals.
:D
We need the new ethnic/moral diversity in the next version, I just want to get my hands on a tribe of those elves!
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 561