Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1242065 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #375 on: March 11, 2012, 06:04:54 pm »

He's a law student Gov'nor, which means he was at the top of his university class just to get into law school. "Idiot," is not the best way to describe your informed opposition. Didn't Rush Limbaugh also just call a law student stupid?
http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/new-jersey-governor-chris-christie-calls-law-student-an-idiot/#more-141973

Non Lawyers have no business owning a single solitary bit of a law firm and need repeatedly yelled at until deaf if they think otherwise. Ownership means calling shots. The people calling the shots need to be personally responsible to the bar for ethics violations. What does the used car salesmen care if you violate your attorney oath? He doesn't.... This is kinda how investment banking got screwed over.... They incorporated and let stupid stockholders call shots. No.... No.... No....
http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/new-york-says-no-for-now-to-non-lawyer-firm-ownership/

Justice Scalia.... I've had the displeasure of talking to him in person, several times to my dismay. I can't say anything nice about the man, so I suppose I won't say anything at all. 
http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/justice-scalia-goes-to-wesleyan/

Unlike the author, I am a fan of protesting Supreme Court Justices if they are Scalia.
http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/justice-scalia-at-wesleyan-now-with-photos-and-video/

Note: All of the authors featured above, are licensed practicing attorneys.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 11, 2012, 06:07:55 pm »

Justice Scalia.... I've had the displeasure of talking to him in person, several times to my dismay. I can't say anything nice about the man, so I suppose I won't say anything at all.
Woah now, you can't just drop on us that you personally met a Justice multiple times without telling us what happened. I know you and he are in the same basic field of work, but still! Especially when that Justice is Scalia. He does not seem like the social type.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 11, 2012, 06:38:01 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:40:41 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 11, 2012, 10:19:58 pm »

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/11/this-is-important-you-should-know-about-it-of-the-day-10/
Saw a bit about this the other day, now it seems there is more info.
Over the weekend, troubling allegations have emerged of many Iraqi teenagers being stoned to death for dressing in “emo fashion.”

Though the number might be lower — Reuters put the death toll at 14 — the terrifying trend appears to have at least a measure of consent from Iraq’s Interior Ministry, which suggests it could get much worse.

“[The Moral Police] have official approval to eliminate them as soon as possible, because the dimensions of the community began to take another course, and is now threatening danger,” read a statement from the ministry, which also compared “the Emo phenomenon” to “devil worshipping.”

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 11, 2012, 10:24:27 pm »

OH MY GOD THEY ARE DRESSING DIFFERENTLY!!! DEVIL WORSHIP!!!
And people wonder why I generally have contempt for people who voice opinions based on religious views.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 11, 2012, 11:07:05 pm »

See? They're Americanizing already.

Please don't quote me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 12, 2012, 01:13:41 am »

See? They're Americanizing already.
Do you suppose if we tell them that, they'll stop?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 12, 2012, 01:20:39 am »

Yes. But I don't think the plan will succeed.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #385 on: March 12, 2012, 10:47:48 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/homemade-cannon-murder-charge-no-evidence-killing-intentional-113324685--abc-news.html

I think this story surfaced here a while ago, but I don't recall exactly. If so, this is an update.

After a night of drinking the woman retires inside the trailer. Her husband and a friend go outside and light their homemade cannon. The cannon explodes, moderately wounding the men, but a large piece of the cannon flies sideways through the wall of the trailer and impales the woman in the chest and killing her. He is now in jail on first degree murder charges with 1.3 million in bail which are for intentional premeditated murder, despite the prosecution stating that there is no evidence it was intentional.

What is wrong with this? There is no evidence, or even appearance of premeditation. There is no evidence or even appearance of intent: the cannon wasn't even pointed at the trailer. This was by every indication an accident. There may be an argument towards negligence or carelessness that might allow a manslaughter charge, but first degree murder is a completely fabricated charge.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 12, 2012, 01:33:12 pm »

I really want to know how these trials happen. Like, at some point, was a lawyer accusing him of purposely pointing the side of his cannon toward his wife?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #387 on: March 12, 2012, 01:37:07 pm »

What is wrong with this? There is no evidence, or even appearance of premeditation. There is no evidence or even appearance of intent: the cannon wasn't even pointed at the trailer. This was by every indication an accident. There may be an argument towards negligence or carelessness that might allow a manslaughter charge, but first degree murder is a completely fabricated charge.

There is no argument against it. 1st degree murder. Law system might need a reboot.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 12, 2012, 01:40:28 pm »

Except that an argument for manslaughter is equivalent to an argument against murder, as the two are mutually exclusive.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 12, 2012, 02:14:14 pm »

I really want to know how these trials happen. Like, at some point, was a lawyer accusing him of purposely pointing the side of his cannon toward his wife?
"I believe that this man deliberately fired the side of the cannon at his wife, his friends, and himself!"
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 759