Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1242077 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #585 on: March 16, 2012, 02:57:48 pm »

Which is actually kind of bullshit, imo, if true.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 16, 2012, 02:58:15 pm »

Why?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 16, 2012, 03:00:38 pm »

Say I do webcam livestreaming off my laptop and forget to turn it off. Would that be illegal?

It seems to come down to the "to spy" part, which means intent is the incriminating action.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #588 on: March 16, 2012, 03:05:26 pm »

Actually, depending on what was streamed you may still be subject to damages. It wouldn't necessarily be criminal in that case, but yeah, I could see someone making a civil suit out of something like that.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 16, 2012, 03:08:26 pm »

Turning on your webcam cam to spy on your roommate having sex, and encouraging your friends to come watch your roommate have sex without them knowing is er... yeah.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:21:22 pm by Pnx »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 16, 2012, 03:18:35 pm »

I'm opposed to most limitations on the act of private surveillance in general to be bullshit, surveilling the property where you live to ascertain truths about shared spaces is not something I believe to be wrong.

If I come home every day to find a big oil slick across my floor, I do not see it as an immoral act to set up a camera and try to figure out whodunnit.

And I don't think it should be illegal - regardless of what you pick up in the process.

I'm strongly anti-privacy and find modern societies obsession with secrets to be outright sick, though, so while my opinions on this issue are pretty strong, sharing them more than I have probably isn't worth much.

Different axioms and all that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:20:20 pm by GlyphGryph »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 16, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »

It's not the surveillance that's the issue. It's what he did with his roommate's private information and what that misuse lead his roommate to do in response.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 16, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »

The thing about secrets is that we keep them to protect ourselves from other people. You might not need to keep secrets because you deal with people who wouldn't hold your potential secrets against you, or you simply don't have the kinds of secrets that are likely to be held against you. There are a lot of people that do have secrets that can and will be used against them if they are discovered, there are just too many jerks in the world to let us live without secrets.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 16, 2012, 03:37:41 pm »

It doesn't even have to be a harmful secret. Would GG be willing to share her password to her account on this site? By definition, that's a secret.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 16, 2012, 03:39:11 pm »

It's not the surveillance that's the issue. It's what he did with his roommate's private information and what that misuse lead his roommate to do in response.

You should't purposefully, publicly show someone having sex without their knowledge and you sure shouldn't encourage others to do so.

People seem incapable of seeing the other side of things, or how there are effects they don't understand or even consider. The guy is comparable to a peeping tom.

The gay thing just adds another twist to it and makes the exposure for the victim worse, because the fact of the matter is, most people are jackasses concerning how they view gays in the US. Even taking that out of the picture, laughing at someone having sex, because they're doing so, and because you're improperly getting, sharing, and encouraging others to get and share that footage is wrong. Laughing at them because they're gay and doing what gay people do is just a bit worse.

Poor kid was just trying to live his life (and forced to do so in secret), and along come the bullies to laugh at him for doing that and make his life hell.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:03:33 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 16, 2012, 03:48:36 pm »

This is something I find acceptable as an argument, by the way. I can see display and distribution of video with individuals having sex (who do not want the video distributed) as wrong, and I do, regardless of how the video was generated. That's not the part I have a problem with, I'm okay with that being illegal, to a certain extent. I could at least see a legal obligation for the person to let those recorded know the film exists, is possible, so they could immediately respond appropriately.

It doesn't even have to be a harmful secret. Would GG be willing to share her password to her account on this site? By definition, that's a secret.
I'm not opposed to secrets as a general rule, especially secrets that act primarily to protect us from the secret actions of others - which is why, yes, I would be more than willing to share that particular secret. Because I can respond to it, the risk of secret abuse is nil. It is:
"buy me a pie charles choo choo".

Yeah, kind of dumb. :P

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 16, 2012, 03:56:20 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:04:15 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2012, 03:57:09 pm »

Ok, assuming that was the real password, that was an incredibly stupid thing to do. If there's a person on this site with malicious intent;
Bye bye account! Password and email address have been changed.
Oops, hope you don't have anything important like CD-keys or love letters in your private messages. They're all gone!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 16, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »

Ok, assuming that was the real password, that was an incredibly stupid thing to do. If there's a person on this site with malicious intent;
Bye bye account! Password and email address have been changed.
Oops, hope you don't have anything important like CD-keys or love letters in your private messages. They're all gone!

Or a trollololol will get a hold of it and use it to break the C.o.C. with impunity from a public terminal and get your account banned. That IS the nice version.... Seriously, edit post and/or change that....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:00:48 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #599 on: March 16, 2012, 04:01:35 pm »

Remember, it logs what IP address you've logged in from. If someone gets on GG's account and trololols then Toady will see that.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 759