Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1242086 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3195 on: September 25, 2012, 11:44:16 pm »

funding fake medicine like homeopathy
Hold up. You do realize how asinine it is to think that the active chemicals we discover in plants and animals, and the pharmaceuticals we manufacture using these chemicals, are not the same thing?
.....What the fuck are you talking about?
Not suggesting the huffing of dried tiger testicles to cure cancer or whatever, but at least analyze plausible remedies in an unbiased and clinical setting. Drug labs don't need to have a monopoly on our well-being here.
You do realize how crazy you sound here, right? Obviously any leads that look promising will be taken regardless of their source. Aspirin was originally made from willow tree bark and aloe vera is still used as a sunburn treatment.

You're making me think you're going to respond to this about how Big Pharma is turning us into junkies so they can peddle their "unnatural remedies".
Side note: What's wrong with hippie communes? :(
Objectively? Nothing. But the Green Party's ideas on community are more or less an attempt to make laws that would try to steer everyone towards hippe commune-esq living. As someone who values his independence, that sounds like a nightmare and I wouldn't have anything to do with it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:46:20 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: September 25, 2012, 11:58:48 pm »

-snip-
Pretty sure he just thought that homeopathy was just a type/name of alternate medicine in general.
If you are semi reasonable then you will vote democrat, because you realize that voting green is throwing your vote away.
As we all know, the only way to enact change is to continue as you have always done. If you don't see that democrats and republicans are just two sides of the same shitty coin your deluding yourself.
Well yeah, but if your choice is A) The shitty side of the coin or B) Far shittier side of the coin or C) Indirectly help B get elected by not voting for A.
A good example is the 2000 election, Gore might not have been the best president ever, but he would have been a hell of a lot better then Bush, who would have lost if Nader hadn't run.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: September 26, 2012, 12:03:13 am »

Thanks, but no thanks, I don't think I want to perpetuate a broken 2-party system. If your only voting to stop the other guy from winning, I think there might be a small problem.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3198 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:22 am »

You can vote to change the way we run elections if you can get enough people to go along with it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: September 26, 2012, 12:13:41 am »

There is a huge problem with our voting system. Our two party system is complete bullshit, and is perpetuated by those in power, because how voting works stops third parties from realistically forming without killing one of the two main parties (and then either becoming one of them or fading back into obscurity).

But we won't change the voting system without a massive and fundamental shift in the climate in Washington (where those elected actually try to improve our democracy at the expense of themselves and their party).

If the choice is Democrat, Republican, or +1/2 Republican (AKA green), then I will chose the slightly less corrupt and slightly less terrible party any day, until there is a real way where your vote can actually help change what you want instead of inadvertently helping what you want least.

You can vote to change the way we run elections if you can get enough people to go along with it.
Its possible, but I don't think it will happen with less then 70% of people really going for it (since it runs counter to the interests of those in power in the democratic and republican parties as well as large entrenched interests (mainly corporations in this case)), and getting that much is near impossible given our politics currently are.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: September 26, 2012, 01:00:42 am »

funding fake medicine like homeopathy
Hold up. You do realize how asinine it is to think that the active chemicals we discover in plants and animals, and the pharmaceuticals we manufacture using these chemicals, are not the same thing?
.....What the fuck are you talking about?
Pretty sure he just thought that homeopathy was just a type/name of alternate medicine in general.

What, have people been misusing the word "Homeopathy" around me for my whole life or something?

Ho·me·op·a·thy (noun) The method of treating disease by drugs, given in minute doses, that would produce in a healthy person symptoms similar to those of the disease.
Huh, looks like they have. I wonder how many people I've confused or accidentally agreed with up until now because of this.

==THE MORE YOU KNOW==¤
...the more you realize your past self was an ass. ._.;

But yeah, I thought you were asserting that the whole herbal medicine thing was shit, and I was trying to illustrate that most of the chemicals we now synthesize in a lab were originally discovered from folk remedies which used plants and animal parts containing said chemicals. I believe we were just experiencing a language barrier, though.

You're making me think you're going to respond to this about how Big Pharma is turning us into junkies so they can peddle their "unnatural remedies".

It's true, man. Dried tiger testicles are where it's at.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: September 26, 2012, 01:12:42 am »

If you are semi reasonable then you will vote democrat, because you realize that voting green is throwing your vote away.

As we all know, the only way to enact change is to continue as you have always done. If you don't see that democrats and republicans are just two sides of the same shitty coin your deluding yourself.

A comment on this I once read went something like "I stuck to my principles in 2000 and voted for a third party. When I got deployed to Iraq in 2003 I wished I had voted for Gore."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: September 26, 2012, 02:18:46 am »

But yeah, I thought you were asserting that the whole herbal medicine thing was shit, and I was trying to illustrate that most of the chemicals we now synthesize in a lab were originally discovered from folk remedies which used plants and animal parts containing said chemicals
Most herbal remedies are bullshit-ish. That natural compounds sometimes are effective treatments or lead to effective treatments does not mean that every single "natural"  thing is an effective drug. Or that the original compound will be effective without processing
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: September 26, 2012, 05:35:20 am »

Homeopathy as I know it goes a bit beyond that definition.  The basic tenets I usually see are

1. The more you dilute something, the stronger the effects are.
2. Water has memory, so even if there isn't a single molecule of the original substance left in it the above principle still applies.

So most homeopathic medicines are literally just water.  They dilute and redilute it until there's no active ingredient left at all.

EDIT: another tenet is "That which would make a healthy person sick makes an unhealthy person well", but doing that would generally be illegal so I don't think mainstream homeopaths follow that one.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:31:00 am by Leafsnail »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3204 on: September 26, 2012, 07:27:13 am »

....What? What?! D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: September 26, 2012, 07:57:02 am »

Homeopathy is a stellar example of just how stupid humans can be, and the way we're usually stupid.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: September 26, 2012, 08:06:28 am »

To be fair, I don't think that 75% of the people who believe in homeopathy have any clue what it actually is.
But yeah, the those who honestly believe in it and know what it really is are very stupid people.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: September 26, 2012, 08:30:12 am »

....What? What?! D:
Hence why a common method of mocking homeopathy is publicly overdosing on homeopathic "medicine" onehundredfold.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: September 26, 2012, 08:32:49 am »

....What? What?! D:
Hence why a common method of mocking homeopathy is publicly overdosing on homeopathic "medicine" onehundredfold.
Should watch out with that though, too much water is dangerous.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45:30 am »

....What? What?! D:

Swedo-Norwegian astronaut Christer Fuglesang tried that on television once, during a debate, with homeopathic sleeping medicine. Too bad he drank so much that he still became woozy. Of course, had it actually been worked he should have died, but it kind of undermined his message.

Should watch out with that though, too much water is dangerous.

A girl actually died from water "poisoning" this summer. She had played "water poker" and consumed 6 litres of water. Ironically, as she probably drank water to not have to drink alcohol.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 759