Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1242066 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3990 on: November 13, 2012, 11:43:33 am »

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12/florida-passes-plan-for-racially-based-academic-goals/
http://www.nwpr.org/post/firestorm-erupts-over-virginias-education-goals

So, virginia and florida are varying the required test scores by race, ignoring socioeconomic factors in favor of racial profiling and  promoting the idea that minorities (other than asians) are inferior.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: November 13, 2012, 12:09:13 pm »

"Florida happily displays its proclivity toward being full of racist fucks, again" was my initial reaction, though that's obviously influenced by being in the part of the state that really is full of racist fucks (especially in the town I'm currently mostly stuck in, which on last census -- or possibly the one before that, so it might have like... quintupled* since then -- had an african american population of one. Not one percent. One.).

Actually reading through the article, my reaction is still mostly that, but there's some weird stuff going on too, apparently, such as the decision being influenced by provisions of the no-child-left-behind act and the apparent fact that other groupings (such as socioeconomic factors, or at least poverty) is also included (leading to the question of why the hell you need the racial profiling, then?). Still pretty damned reprehensible, but at least there's some nominal other factors involved.

*Which would still leave that demographic in the single digits.

E: Also, the florida numbers appear to be considerably less racist (if that's even a sliding scale thing at all, and not just binary) than the virginia one. Congratulations, Virginia! You've achieved the accomplishment no one actually wants: Out bigoting Florida.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:25:00 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: November 13, 2012, 12:26:02 pm »

I'll play devil's advocate here, since the article isn't saying that non-whites have lower targets individually, they're state targets for how many of each demographic group reach the same standards.

If 80% of whites were graduating, and only 50% of blacks were graduating, setting a goal by 2020 of 60% blacks graduating would NOT be racist, it would be realist.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: November 13, 2012, 12:26:20 pm »

I... don't actually have a problem with that. They want to see improvements across all demographics, but are setting reasonable targets based on where the demographics are now. (And one of those demographics happens to be race, but others aren't and there is overlap)

If you're going to be setting targets of this sort, this seems like one of the better ways to do it.

Their expectations for an individual student aren't any lower, after all - and they are hoping to get more from more students, period, than they were before.

Eh, I don't know.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: November 13, 2012, 12:32:38 pm »

I... don't actually have a problem with that. They want to see improvements across all demographics, but are setting reasonable targets based on where the demographics are now. (And one of those demographics happens to be race, but others aren't and there is overlap)

If you're going to be setting targets of this sort, this seems like one of the better ways to do it.

Their expectations for an individual student aren't any lower, after all - and they are hoping to get more from more students, period, than they were before.

Eh, I don't know.
Yeah, pretty much this. I don't see a problem here.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: November 13, 2012, 05:10:59 pm »

I have to say. I just don't freaking understand Florida. At all. What the hell is up with them. I mean, one would think, in a world ruled by logic, that a swing-state would be moderate yes? But no. it acts like a stereotypical southern state, like the ones that have still not apologized for thier Eugenics programs, or the ones that teach Creationism Hell, there is a town in florida where Satan is illegal. He can't go there. seriously (ACLU showed up and intervened, o now he isn't allowed on public property.). I mean what, do the democrats there just not vote until presidential elections?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: November 13, 2012, 05:14:00 pm »

Satan gives zero shits about your laws. He's already stuck in Hell for eternity, so what could you possibly do to him?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: November 13, 2012, 05:15:44 pm »

Ditto even if he does turn up there. So you want to arrest the Prince of Lies? Tough luck.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: November 13, 2012, 05:20:48 pm »

"I'm not Satan! I'm... Santa. Yes, that's it. Santa. Ho ho ho, merry Christmas, and all that!"
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: November 13, 2012, 05:21:02 pm »

Ditto even if he does turn up there. So you want to arrest the Prince of Lies? Tough luck.
They have Prince of Darkness covered though. And "leader of men astray". But he is allowed, just not on public property.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: November 13, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

"I'm not Satan! I'm... Santa. Yes, that's it. Santa. Ho ho ho, merry 666mas, and all that!"
FTFY

It's also suspicious that Santa's last name is "Claws" and he likes the color red, and horned animals. And he demands sacrifices, whilst coming down the chimney in winter (with the fire going I imagine). Saint Nicholaus is the old name for Santa, whilst Old Nick is a name for the devil. The list just goes on and on.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:31:59 pm by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: November 13, 2012, 05:28:58 pm »

Well he is allowed on public property during December. *insert obvious Santa Clause pun*

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: November 13, 2012, 05:44:04 pm »

Are these grade things on actual class grades or on standardized testing? If I recall correctly, students of color tend to do worse on standardized tests than white students even if both students have the same abilities otherwise.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: November 13, 2012, 06:32:24 pm »

Are these grade things on actual class grades or on standardized testing? If I recall correctly, students of color tend to do worse on standardized tests than white students even if both students have the same abilities otherwise.

I read some stuff on that which was of dubious scholarship. Well, not so much the research, as the interpretation.

The researchers assumed that black kids felt that they themselves would do badly on the tests, because they were black, so they in fact did badly. The researchers then gave the black kids a "pep talk", and they performed better. Hence "proving" that black kids were biased to believe they'd do badly - because they were black. e.g. self-racism.

But this kind of sounds like circular logic, since they were using the assumptions to prove the assumptions. Also, it's also non-scientific, since they only gave pep-talks to the black kids and evaluated them against "standard" scores of white kids, without considering that ALL the kids might have "jitters" about their up-coming test performance.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:36:05 pm by Reelya »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: November 13, 2012, 06:38:32 pm »

I'll admit i haven't seen any actual scholarship on the topic, and I only got the same things you did when I googled it just now.

What I heard a long time ago was that pretty much all of the word problems and passages and stuff were things that were relevant to middle class white culture, and although the unfamiliarity with it wasn't going to make other kids fail it was enough to make them lose a few points on average.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 759