Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1242076 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7530 on: August 20, 2013, 01:01:29 pm »

A little behind on the news right now, but just saw this.
Texas didn’t discriminate against minority voters. It was only because they were Democrats. And even if it did, the racial discrimination Texas engaged in is nowhere near as bad as the stuff that happened in the 1960s.
So basically Texas' defence against charges of racial discrimination is that they are just discriminating politically to disenfranchise Democrats, and that happens to involve disenfranchising minorities disproportionately.

Nice.

Also legally irelvant given (IIRC) the clause in question in the VRA talks about racial effect rather than the legislative intent behind that effect, so so long as it has a discriminatory racial effect it doesn't matter why they are putting the law forwards.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7531 on: August 21, 2013, 10:07:24 am »

Of course we could pay for this railway link quite easily if we just scrapped trident.
Yeah, then we could just be entirely dependent on the USA or Queenie forbid, France, for nuclear deterrent.

@Truean's post with the retarded letter

I have one very minor complaint (compared to the others) about that letter, and that's the overuse of ! and ?

I mean, I don't use about fifteen exclamation marks when I say anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I suspected it was a fake but the trails................. Of punctuation led me to believe it was simply an educated moron unused to writing letters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: August 21, 2013, 10:39:23 am »

Yeah, right, because we all know what happen when you're a big NATO power without a nuclear detterent of your own. Look at Germany and Turkey, they're half-commie, half-zombie already!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7533 on: August 21, 2013, 10:45:48 am »

Yeah, right, because we all know what happen when you're a big NATO power without a nuclear detterent of your own. Look at Germany and Turkey, they're half-commie, half-zombie already!
And do you see any commie-zombies in the UK? 28 weeks later doesn't count, they were NHS patients not zombies.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:33 am »

And do you see any commie-zombies in the UK? 28 weeks later doesn't count, they were NHS patients not zombies.

Ah, good old elephant repellant!
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7535 on: August 21, 2013, 10:54:50 am »

Ah, good old elephant repellant!
Or just got little time to make any serious, muscle-hearted and committed posts as of yet. Plus it'd make a good topic on the Euro-pol thread, but I'd have to hold it for a later date, a time with better internets.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: August 21, 2013, 10:56:34 am »

Well, you're welcome to discuss it in the Euro thread anytime, but I'm really curious what kind of argument you can make.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:07 am »

Germany has 2 operational nuclear missile bases, a third one on standby, and actually fabricate' s France's Nuclear weaponry, so they kinda have the knowledge and material to make more.

Turkey has between 40-90 nuclear weapons, all made in the US.

I mean, even Belgium technically has strike capacity.

Note: We don't have the detonation codes of foreign nuclear weaponry, but we'd get them if we need them.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: August 21, 2013, 11:20:45 am »

Look at Germany and Turkey, they're half-commie, half-zombie already!
Ah, that explains why my brain fell out at the kolkhoz this morning.  :P

Germany has 2 operational nuclear missile bases, a third one on standby, and actually fabricate' s France's Nuclear weaponry, so they kinda have the knowledge and material to make more.
The bases belong to the US though. We may have the knowledge to build nukes, but neither public opinion nor international treaties (it was actually a point in the re-unification treaty) would allow us to do so.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: August 21, 2013, 11:23:33 am »

Capabilities != nuclear weapons. AFAIK, neither Germany nor Turkey got the launch code, so they are effectively dependent on US deterrent, the precise thing that frighten Loud Whisper so much.

I actually posted my argument on the Eurpean thread, so I suggest we move the discussion there.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: August 21, 2013, 11:56:04 am »

Yeah, then we could just be entirely dependent on the USA or Queenie forbid, France, for nuclear deterrent.

But we don't need any nuclear deterrent at all. I agree with Sheb, we should move that conversation to the European thread.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: August 21, 2013, 01:45:52 pm »

Anyone wants to buy some of the world's history?

It's kinda sad that NASA has to sell out like this. Launchpad's, landing strips, launch platforms... Everything has to go.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:49:21 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: August 22, 2013, 01:52:37 am »

Well, why keep it if they don't use it anymore? Selling it so the kit is available to private space companies seems better.

On antoher note, the Seattle PD has been handing out munchies at this year hempfest. Pretty cool initiative, but funnily enough it was done with private money and private time. Apparently the taxpayer only pay for violent police actions, not the cool ones.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:01:41 am by Sheb »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: August 22, 2013, 02:02:45 am »

Well, why keep it if they don't use it anymore? Selling it so the kit is available to private space companies seems better.
Oh, they could probably repurpose it. I mean, it dates back to the Saturn projects. Point is they don't have the funds to make use of what they got anymore.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7544 on: August 22, 2013, 09:01:55 am »

Oh, they could probably repurpose it. I mean, it dates back to the Saturn projects. Point is they don't have the funds to make use of what they got anymore.
Every rocket since Apollo's been getting weaker. It's a travesty to human progress.
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 759