Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245368 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10305 on: June 21, 2015, 03:30:53 am »

organized criminals having guns is actually not that big of a deal - they try pretty hard to not end up caught in admissible evidence in confrontations that could be violent.

FTFY

Fun fact, American Steel is actually 0.001% Mob Debtor.

Guns are tricky, for practical and political reasons. Historically, Americans have long used guns to settle things. There's really no way an anti gun lobby would ever last, if only for lack of being bulletproof. One true thing is that guns are tools. Sadly, they are often misused. It's easier to do a lot of things, than to soften, much less refine, the human heart....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 03:45:04 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: June 21, 2015, 06:20:12 am »

America has slightly higher rates than western Europe (about 3 deaths per 100k people instead of 1)
Are you seriously trying to claim that triple the rate is a minor difference?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: June 21, 2015, 07:13:41 am »

While I think that America's gun obsession is dangerous, I don't think that outliers like this attack should be what guide gun control policies. They account for a tiny percentage of all death after all.

I'm more concerned that this terrorist attack, despite certainly being politically motivated and killing three times as many people as the Boston marathon bombing, doesn't seem to be considered a terrorist attacks by the mainstream media? Where is the outrage at policy failure? The anguish about the way some in the white community self-radicalize through the internet? The questioning about what should have been done?

Maybe Black lives don't really matters...

News in the UK reported that he was bought the gun he used as a birthday present. That.... that sets off alarm bells for me.

I fully accept and understand the right for a citizen of the US to own and operate a gun (even if I might dispute the need). Such is the way of things over there. However, the idea that someone can buy a gun, then give it to someone (even if said transfer is legal) scares me. The person buying a gun could be responsible, sane, competent, and skilled it both its use and maintenance - but how in blue hell does the seller of the gun have any idea about the same aspects of the third party being given a gun? The world over we go to great lengths who can access various potentially dangerous things, from cars to chemical substances. Yet it is OK for something like a gun to be bought only to be given on with no checks or balances? Worrying.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:17 am »

America has slightly higher rates than western Europe (about 3 deaths per 100k people instead of 1)
And my axe. Seriously, a fucking 300% increase in murders per people is a big fucking deal, and not just something you can handwave away because Mexicans.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: June 21, 2015, 07:56:10 am »

While I think that America's gun obsession is dangerous, I don't think that outliers like this attack should be what guide gun control policies. They account for a tiny percentage of all death after all.

I'm more concerned that this terrorist attack, despite certainly being politically motivated and killing three times as many people as the Boston marathon bombing, doesn't seem to be considered a terrorist attacks by the mainstream media? Where is the outrage at policy failure? The anguish about the way some in the white community self-radicalize through the internet? The questioning about what should have been done?

Maybe Black lives don't really matters...

News in the UK reported that he was bought the gun he used as a birthday present. That.... that sets off alarm bells for me.

I fully accept and understand the right for a citizen of the US to own and operate a gun (even if I might dispute the need). Such is the way of things over there. However, the idea that someone can buy a gun, then give it to someone (even if said transfer is legal) scares me. The person buying a gun could be responsible, sane, competent, and skilled it both its use and maintenance - but how in blue hell does the seller of the gun have any idea about the same aspects of the third party being given a gun? The world over we go to great lengths who can access various potentially dangerous things, from cars to chemical substances. Yet it is OK for something like a gun to be bought only to be given on with no checks or balances? Worrying.

I dunno, mwnci. I think it's less that you can give someone a gun without checks and more that you can be given a gun without checks.

...Semantically speaking.
Love, scriver~

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: June 21, 2015, 08:01:24 am »

And my axe. Seriously, a fucking 300% increase in murders per people is a big fucking deal, and not just something you can handwave away because Mexicans.

And my bow. Though it's technically a 200% increase, not a 300% one. :v
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: June 21, 2015, 08:30:32 am »

Noted in the USApol thread that's false. Guy bought the gun with birthday money, but the gun itself wasn't a present. Also worth noting that the guy had prior record, iirc, and shouldn't have been able to buy the gun :V

That said, yes, people get firearms as gifts. It's noted well that the vast majority of illegal guns in the US start legal, and it's not exactly uncommon for a gun to show up in the hands of someone that couldn't pass a background check because friends/family gave it over, sometimes as some sort of gift. Hell, the one gun I actually own (an antique .22 that's over a century old at this point. Still works, last I checked on it, but that's been a bit.), was passed down to me by family. Don't recall it being a birthday gift, but... yeah, it happens, and there's pretty much no oversight on the process.

Mind you, if you possess a firearm you shouldn't, the gifting process won't protect you from potential legal repercussions, but you don't exactly have to check in with the local law enforcement or whatev' to pass a firearm to... anyone, really, in most states, so far as I can recall.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: June 21, 2015, 10:24:34 am »

Noted in the USApol thread that's false. Guy bought the gun with birthday money, but the gun itself wasn't a present. Also worth noting that the guy had prior record, iirc, and shouldn't have been able to buy the gun :V
So do they know how he actually did get the gun? But it from a source of dubious legality or something?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: June 21, 2015, 10:28:03 am »

Once again everybody has to identify the exact wrong issue with the fact that someone with a mental disorder has been walking around that long without getting treatment

Personally I do think we need stricter gun control laws in the US, but I also think that doing so isn't going to make the problem just go away. The abhorrent condition of mental healthcare in the US is and always will be the root of the issue, and the fact that I have seen zero congressmen try to tackle this issue is literally disgusting to me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: June 21, 2015, 10:30:43 am »

So do they know how he actually did get the gun? But it from a source of dubious legality or something?
I so far haven't seen a source on that, but it wouldn't need be a black market purchase. He would have had a much easier time getting it from a gun show, as they are wholly exempt from background check laws and waiting periods.

They can be...uh....fascinating places.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: June 21, 2015, 10:35:38 am »

I so far haven't seen a source on that, but it wouldn't need be a black market purchase. He would have had a much easier time getting it from a gun show, as they are wholly exempt from background check laws and waiting periods.

They can be...uh....fascinating places.

It is alarmingly easy to buy nazi paraphernalia at gun shows, especially here in the south

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: June 21, 2015, 10:36:31 am »

Once again everybody has to identify the exact wrong issue with the fact that someone with a mental disorder has been walking around that long without getting treatment
Uh, actually, from what I've been picking up the guy had no history or particular indication of having a mental disorder (though it's entirely possible I've missed an update or somethin' that says otherwise). He was to all appearances just a hateful racist fuckwit.

I... know a lot of people would like to think that racist vitriol extending to the point it did for this guy is a mental disorder, but... to a large extent, it's not. It's just what can happen when you've been sufficiently inculcated into that sort of hatred.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: June 21, 2015, 10:57:31 am »

Uh, actually, from what I've been picking up the guy had no history or particular indication of having a mental disorder (though it's entirely possible I've missed an update or somethin' that says otherwise). He was to all appearances just a hateful racist fuckwit.

I... know a lot of people would like to think that racist vitriol extending to the point it did for this guy is a mental disorder, but... to a large extent, it's not. It's just what can happen when you've been sufficiently inculcated into that sort of hatred.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I know a lot of racist folk, some more low key than others, but I have never met someone who was filled with so much racist vitriol that they would go and shoot up any black people, let alone a church.

I can't logically comprehend a healthy mind finding that an appropriate response, no matter how bad things are down here.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #10318 on: June 21, 2015, 10:58:38 am »

This.

That said, I agree with ggamer about the state of metal healthcare in the US. It is pretty terrible.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: June 21, 2015, 11:00:51 am »

i heard they got pretty good metal healthcare in scandinavia
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 759