Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245410 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10605 on: July 15, 2015, 01:27:19 pm »

My experience has shown, that the social surroundings in which drug use happens have a large influence on how dangerous and damaging those drugs are. People who know the dangers of what they use and watch out for each other will have a much more positive experience than the ones who don't care what they are doing to themselves or the ones who are just generally assholes.
A thousand times this. Demonizing drugs - heroin in particular - has the weird side effect of making people fairly careless when they find out that info was exaggerated/not info at all. Erowid is a much better source for drug education than DARE, even if you're trying to keep the person in question away from drugs.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10606 on: July 15, 2015, 02:23:14 pm »

Okay, this has gotten a little too intense. Please try to avoid discussing other posters instead of directly talking about the topic at hand. It makes discussions a lot more personal and negative.

Let's move on to something else.

It is so ordered.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10607 on: July 15, 2015, 04:49:46 pm »

My mom posted this article, in which literary critics and the like try to explain how Atticus Finch (of To Kill a Mockingbird) was racist the whole time by using more labels than a frick fracking wendy's kitchen.

Can someone explain to me, without resorting to using multiple labels in one sentence, why some people see Atticus Finch as racist in TKM itself? No matter how I look at this, I just can't see him as anything but a good man trying to do right by his client.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10608 on: July 15, 2015, 05:03:51 pm »

That's... interesting.  The case made by the article is awful, but the unpublished sequel (written before TKaM and probably noncanon) makes me wonder.  Maybe someone who read TKaM more recently has some insight, it's been about a decade for me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10609 on: July 15, 2015, 05:18:09 pm »

Ah, found one in the comments:
http://risforrace.blogspot.com/2015/07/say-it-aint-so-atticus-go-set-watchman.html

In short, and using quotation marks for concepts not literal quotes...  It's a sin to kill a mockingbird, because they don't do anything bad by us.  They only sing.  This is metaphorically talking about "good blacks" (and good mentally handicapped) who "know their place".
The defendant in the trial is a mockingbird.  He's meek, doesn't dare to defend himself and didn't actually do anything against the whites.  So Atticus defended him.  Boo Radley is similarly harmless and doesn't inconvenience anybody by daring to appear in public, so he's "one of the good ones".
Meanwhile there's a scene where Scout goes to the black church.  One of the congregation doesn't want her there, and is portrayed as a villain.  She gets belittled by the rest of the congregation, who proceed to sing for Scout (and her friend?).  It's explained that they mostly can't read or write, but they *can* sing - in this case for the white children.  Good mockingbirds.

This article is pretty disturbing, because I think it has a point about the book!  Then again, the unpublished sequel paints Scout's Father's racism in a very negative light, so I don't think Lee was promoting conditional racism - just portraying it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10610 on: July 16, 2015, 01:22:25 am »

Just to be clear about this, that book was written BEFORE TKaM and the author had no intention of ever releasing it.  The Onion explains why it was finally published.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10611 on: July 16, 2015, 10:24:25 am »

My mom posted this article, in which literary critics and the like try to explain how Atticus Finch (of To Kill a Mockingbird) was racist the whole time by using more labels than a frick fracking wendy's kitchen.

Can someone explain to me, without resorting to using multiple labels in one sentence, why some people see Atticus Finch as racist in TKM itself? No matter how I look at this, I just can't see him as anything but a good man trying to do right by his client.

Because iconoclastic articles generate attention.

You want your cracked article to get noticed or your literary criticism talked about? Pick a childhood hero noted for goodness and figure out that they were actually racist, capitalist, fascist, or all three.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10612 on: July 16, 2015, 10:48:56 am »

Love, scriver~

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10613 on: July 16, 2015, 11:33:15 am »

Also, note that the implication that Cracked is essentially similar to legitimate academia is probably pretty true.

Shit, I could write five reasons why Cracked is legitimate academia if I had more
 time.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10614 on: July 18, 2015, 11:17:56 am »

At least the Chinese academia are still based, for as long as they're not situated in China. I have been triggered too much, so now I must crawl up in a ball and bawl lest I ball into a pile of bowls. Or more accurately, I have no idea how this post got so fuckhueg and must meditate on the state of my existence. Apologies for the length, to any who couldn't be bothered:

tl;dr
  • Don't politicize criminality. Justice is blind, and no one is your Scotsman when they commit some horrible crime. Don't defend anyone who has done wrong just because you think it might give fuel to your opponents, not only is it morally bankrupt but practically - you're just pouring the fuel on yourself to try and make sure your opponent doesn't get it.
  • Is the generation gap between moderate muslims and fundamentalists suggestive of the birth of a new hardcore militant and fundamentalist islam, similar to how Creationism was a modern birth of a hardcore fundamentalist Christianity?
  • Don't be a nouveau fundamentalist.
  • Sort out your shit Malaysia. I want to love you, but you make it really fucking hard.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10615 on: July 18, 2015, 12:48:35 pm »

So... to summarize, there is no difference between the way people react to Muslim shooters versus white shooters, and then a whole wall of text... thing.  I'll respond to the separately.

If you're going to use the guy who shot up the black church as an example you have to acknowledge the whole thing where the police went and bought him a burger right after arresting him.  He's also a poor example because he went to extremes to make himself look like a terrorist.  He posted a manifesto.  He took creepy pictures of himself.  He made some comment about how sad it was that the KKK wasn't active where he lived.  And a lot of people, journalists most notably, still aren't calling him a terrorist, they were calling him a "shooter" or some such.

I mean, if you're seriously arguing that there isn't a significant bias against Muslims in the US at least, that's going to be an uphill battle.  Like... you seriously think there's some kind of blanket silence on criticizing Islam?  Do you live in America?  Are you young enough that you somehow don't remember 9/11?  Do you not know many conservatives in person?

An adult non-Islamic white man can shoot up a mall, or a school, or the police, and they aren't a terrorist.  They're just a "shooter", or a "gunman".  And if they're young people will come out of the woodwork saying how nice they were and how much of a surprise it is that they did that.  This is why nenjin made that commit and everyone came out to defend him.  We're all tired of this bullshit.  No one's defending Islamic terrorists, they're pointing out that if you want to call them terrorists (which you can and should) there's a whole other group of people that you ALSO have to refer to as terrorists if you don't want to be a hypocrit.

Your whole wall of text is both wrong and prejudiced, to be blunt.  Yes, Christian Creationists are annoying, no that does not mean we should try to eradicate organized religion.  The vast majority of western Islamic immigrants are not terrorists; we are not in danger by tolerating them.  People criticizing prejudice is not "censorship", its exercising free speech.  To paraphrase Ray Bradbury, you're free to say what you want, I'm free to criticize what you say.  That includes telling people to shut up, believe it or not that IS covered under free speech.  And as for the rest, there's so much but all basically boils down to taking a diverse array of extremely complicated issues with extremely complicated history, and suggesting that they have a core cause.  No, they don't, and they don't have a core solution.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10616 on: July 18, 2015, 01:31:59 pm »

I'm just too tired of dealing with people who let scum off at best and at worse defend them just because they're diverse.

Where did I say he should get "Let off"? My concern isn't for him, he's dead anyways. My concern is for the non-violent Muslims who still have to live in this country, who again have to defend their religion not only against their own who twist it, but against Americans who will just add this incident up as another chalk mark on the "Why Islam is bad" board. We're so used to gun violence in this country, a white guy snapping and killing people at random carries less political/social implications than someone with a religious motivation doing the killing. Note what I didn't say too. "I kinda wish the killer had been white christian fundamentalist screaming about the "war on their religion."" That would have been equally bad for the same reasons: it's more gas on the fire. Had it just been an American white male snapping and going on a shooting spree, we'd be talking about gun violence in America, a cause a lot more people can find a solution to than the fact some members of a religious group self-radicalize and start killing people.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:45:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10617 on: July 18, 2015, 07:26:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am unapologetic for walls of text. Within this spoiler is a wall. Prepare your siege engines.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10618 on: July 18, 2015, 09:37:16 pm »

[...]Hahaha, do I give a shit about America? Your nation can kill itself all it wants as long as it doesn't take mine down with it, which it will. [...]
{Post snipped to show the error within attitude in approaching all this}
Rules:
  • No trolling or bigotry. Don't be dismissive or disrespectful of people's identities in this thread. This should not be a place where people feel the need to defend the legitimacy of their sexuality or gender.
  • Do not gang up on people or shut them out of the discussion for having a conservative viewpoint or expressing one in the past.
  • No semantics arguments. You can disagree with someone's definition, but drop it if it doesn't get resolved in a post or two.
Dude, prejudice. Watch your words. Be more specific. Drop the aggressive and overt tone, because it doesn't belong in this thread or in any discussion--its just emotionally charged spikes conferring towards personal belief and viewpoint.
Being personally aware of your own beliefs and then seeing how they warp your perception is a good virtue to inculcate.
It's not helping your credibility, or the holistic character of the viewpoint you're explaining the reasoning of.

I'd request you to check that up first before continuing, please. :-\
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:54:54 pm by Tiruin »

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10619 on: July 18, 2015, 09:52:34 pm »

Hahaha, do I give a shit about America? Your nation can kill itself all it wants as long as it doesn't take mine down with it, which it will.
Well fuck you too.
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 759