Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ASCII Sector  (Read 3530 times)

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
ASCII Sector
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:08:58 pm »

ASCII Sector is a cool space game made totally in ASCII.The development have been abandoned , but it is pretty much functional and there are not so many bugs.

Features:
-Trading system(price is different on each planet , different demands....)
-Many solar systems
-Player-made quests
-Space & ground combat
-Many ships , weapons & modules
-Good AI and the world is populated
and way more!

Download:
Website
Experimental version
I know its old , but i felt making a topic.... Yes , i know , some topic were made , but , like 6 years ago.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:46:55 pm by KillerHP »
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII Sector
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:28:00 pm »

There is a thread, actually. More than one, even. They're just in the right subforum (you want Other Games :P) and rather dead, ha.

Incidentally, there should be a move topic button somewhere or another. You can shift the thread over to OG with that, and get the game the attention it may deserve, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 12:39:17 pm »

Oh , did not notice it was not in the right section....
Well , actually , i dont see any "Move" buttons.
EDIT:NVM...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:41:12 pm by KillerHP »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »

Yeah, I had some good times with this game back in highschool. I always enjoyed it, since it really felt like space naval combat, what with the speed slider. You could slow down time as a pirate ambushed you, and you'd feel just like a ship at sea.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 02:55:36 pm »

PTW new thread. This really is an AWESOME and fun game. Somehow my old computer got IP banned from the website and couldn't download it, though, seems to work now.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:24:34 pm »

Well , at first , its kinda boring and you have to farm quests & found profitable trade routes.I remember buying tons of advanced fuels and transporting them to some place.Then, i got my orion ,equipped it with a blaster & a turret with the same blaster(the one that shot orange) , missiles , afterburners & stuff.
After that , i started raping pirates.... :p
But then , somehow lost my save.... and removed the game....

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 04:58:43 pm »

ASCII Sector is a cool space game made totally in ASCII.The development have been abandoned , but it is pretty much functional and there are not so many bugs.

I wouldn't say it has been abandoned. The development has been glacial recently but not abandoned. The last development post on Ascii sector is January 2016 so not abandoned but the dev is working on another game so I don't know when a new update will come for Ascii sector

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 02:54:37 am »

Oh my goodness, this game .-.

I wouldn't say it has been abandoned. The development has been glacial recently but not abandoned. The last development post on Ascii sector is January 2016 so not abandoned but the dev is working on another game so I don't know when a new update will come for Ascii sector
^ This. Checking the game page again--the version is as I remember the same from the year behind, but the developer on-forum is still alive and working.

Wish the game would update though. I checked my game and it still has my ol' save in a Pegasus (with enough money to shift full upgrades to [that other cruiser]), and enough reputation to be buddies with everyone! Everyone except the Retros. Kilrathi and Pirates are buddies--and their chat log when being talked with is fun and nice. ^ ^

Wonder if save-uploading is ok, since the save files can be isolated?

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 08:17:45 am »

What other game is he working on? I was there when he got married and that was roughly around the time when development completely stopped. Which is a shame too because I love this game. But I'm not particularly keen on going on his site because at some point it had some nasty malware or viruses put into it. I'd recommend everyone go in with a hazmat suit if possible. Otherwise yeah, please show us this other game he's working on if possible.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 09:46:54 am »

PTW and downloading. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.