Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1489 1490 [1491] 1492 1493 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5894352 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22350 on: April 30, 2012, 02:41:16 am »

I do have 641 other foods, I think that's tallow though.
Make soap.

Which, coincidentally, is also what's going on in my fort.

Planning on that, actually. Whenever I get around to making lye. Probably that'll be after I get around to making the 100+ beds I still need, though I do have more than a thousand logs so I could make lye right now.

An ambush! Curse them!

What ambush? The fine red mist by the front gate?

The watchfowl I have on top of the front gate, while unable to detect thieves, are excellent at noticing the less stealthy invaders. Ambush -> slam on the stay-inside alert -> watch the gobbos vaporize. None of them have actually gotten beyond the first row of traps, I think... XD

Oh, at some point my king became my mayor. I'm not going to bother removing my legendary glassmaker from the mayor's quarters, he deserves them.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22351 on: April 30, 2012, 03:19:12 am »

So bored I breached the cavern.  A troll wandered by, making some of the masons I have building a wall run deep into the cavern, but I sent the two squads that were on training duty down there to take care of it.  Since the troll was not armored up by the gobbos, it was wild, it didn't last very long.  I then dismissed the squads to go back to training, but instructed the squad leaders to stay down there in case anything else show up.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22352 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:32 am »

edit: wrong page
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:38:51 am by Morpha »
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22353 on: April 30, 2012, 05:39:36 am »

Hmm, I may have inadvertently developed an impervious way to defend against Toady's inevitable tunneling creatures/enemies.  Would anyone be interested in seeing it?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22354 on: April 30, 2012, 05:40:38 am »

Do hell demons fly into checkerboards?

THAT'S A RESOUNDING YES, AUSSIE.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22355 on: April 30, 2012, 05:40:51 am »

Hmm, I may have inadvertently developed an impervious way to defend against Toady's inevitable tunneling creatures/enemies.  Would anyone be interested in seeing it?

What is it this time?

Bingo? :P

Another version of checkers?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22356 on: April 30, 2012, 05:43:37 am »

What is it this time?

Bingo? :P

Another version of checkers?

Nope.  This involves a box and six floodgates.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22357 on: April 30, 2012, 05:44:57 am »

Hell yes!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22358 on: April 30, 2012, 05:48:40 am »

I'm building a small-scale version in my testing fort now (I cant use the first one I made as it would give away too much of what I want to keep unseen in the fort I intend to share)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22359 on: April 30, 2012, 06:25:50 am »

I've had my first demand, ever, in the history of my DF career. What is it? My baroness wants a silver armor stand in her dining room. After the obligatory rude gesture toward the screen, I've set one to be created.

I only need 13 more floor grates for the boardThe floor grates are done! WHOOOO! As for the hatches in the tanks, the water tank has 1 hatch left to connect and the magma one has 2. It is 26 Opal now... I wonder if I'll be ready before the new year?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22360 on: April 30, 2012, 06:27:40 am »

Three dwarves have suffocated from the infernal ash disease. This is a bit of a double edged sword. Lolor, Tobul and Sakzul, all S7s died within minutes of symptoms appearing. And because so much of the damage is internal, the doctors are HELPLESS besides cleaning them and sending them on their way. Damage seems to ramp up proportionately with amount encountered; with even a single piece of infernal ash capable of causing death over a few months. The goblins who got caught in it survived no more than three seconds.

I suppose it's a good way of cutting down on un-needed population.
Also, the first child to grow to an adult grew up to be an adult today. :D

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22361 on: April 30, 2012, 06:43:39 am »

The Rustic RabbitHut

08) Guard Duty activate
09) Drumroll ... your fingers

So I got 3 migrants and a hella lot of work to do.
That's what's going on. So all I can do is wait.

My stone-dump near the workshop room is almost completely depleted.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tore down the leatherworks and the masons to make room for a smelter and a forge.
My militia needs armor to train their armor using before they get rusty.

The first two Migrant Tubes are all setup, and the 3rd one has it's floodgates operating.
The 4th is almost at that stage. Now the miners need to actually finish digging those Tubes.

I keep watching. I want to build the Trade Depot above ground next to my hut.
The caravan guards could kill any undead that show up, and then I'd dump those corpses in a Yak room or something.
But there are 3 Giant Kea Corpses left.
They are hovering in the perfect spot that I hestate to open my hut or any of the two functioning migrant tubes.

Running out of time before the next migrant wave/caravan.
Stupid bird corpses.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:32:19 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22362 on: April 30, 2012, 06:44:27 am »

Well I don't know about being ready ready by 1st Granite 106 because I'm not using pumps to speed the liquid up, but as of 11th Obsidian 105 the water tank is filling and there is a miner going to knock a hole in the side of the magma tube. I should probably see about picking a suitably useless and unlikely to be mourned dwarf to boldly be locked in and breach the candy.

Wait.

Shit.

The mechanisms for the hatches in the magma tank all have to be magma-safe, don't they?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:51:01 am by Lielac »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22363 on: April 30, 2012, 06:49:17 am »

Well I don't know about being ready ready by 1st Granite 106 because I'm not using pumps to speed the liquid up, but as of 11th Obsidian 105 the water tank is filling and there is a miner going to knock a hole in the side of the magma tube. I should probably see about picking a suitably useless and unlikely to be mourned dwarf to boldly be locked in and breach the candy.

Hope you mean walled in.  A locked door will just give the clowns a way out.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22364 on: April 30, 2012, 06:58:51 am »

EDIT : Almost forgot, my mayor/baron has a craving for animal traps, but my carpenters flat out refuse to make any. I have no idea why. Bug ?
I had that too. Animal traps are made at the Carpenter's Workshop, but using the Trapper labor, not Carpenter.

You are my hero ! My Baron had already gone one a killing spree 5 times and I was getting desperate but this is working !  ;D
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !
Pages: 1 ... 1489 1490 [1491] 1492 1493 ... 3837