Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 970561 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: Oh mah gawd, the angst!
« Reply #8880 on: March 05, 2014, 09:13:14 am »

You would not believe how long I've wanted to use that song. x3

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: March 05, 2014, 09:16:16 am »

What did I just hear?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: March 05, 2014, 09:18:22 am »

You just heard 'voodoo' music adopted to steampunkery.
* Twi shrugs.

It makes more sense than what Atnegam listens to. :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: March 05, 2014, 09:25:05 am »

Wait, why hasn't anyone mentioned Sen's Magic books to Lunette? That would bring all kinds of shenanigans.
That would bring all kinds of shenanigans.

((Well, the way it works here is, it would still raise her temperature, but MIND would simply be to not get some form of damage, because she can resist heat, but it's still there. I'm just using realistic effects.))
Makes sense. No matter what our willpower, having the air heated around you (or in you) is going to give you a bad time.
Yeah except previous precedent indicates that it still protects. Otherwise, Kyle could have previously exploded people's lungs with air magic seeing as willpwoer shouldn't be able to stop that either.
There is a distinction in 3.5 D&D for spell resistance and such. Basically, a spell can affect the area around such a warded creature without needing to overcome spell resistance, but anything in the creature's direct possession (ie, weapons in hand, armor on body, air in lungs) would not be. If there was a Heat Air spell (there isn't), it would trigger spell resistance only if you heated a bottle of air the spell-resisting creature was holding (why would you do that?), but not if you heated the air around the creature.
In essence, I'm saying you have a faulty analogy.

Oh, by the way? Huge magical lizard clusterfuck is not helping magic's reputation.
It's almost as if the guy who tried to focus more on that stuff, even mentioning the kinds of legislation some areas had on magic, is running the dragon plot...

((What I meant is that Lyle wants to do the frickle frackle.
With Mallory.))
WE GET IT.

[To: Luna] <Making the wound didn't trigger her issue?>

((It's kind of hard to resist the heating of air that you don't personally control...))
((Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, but when @Scapheap ran this, he applied it to prevent Kyle from using air magic to rupture people's lungs even though they couldn't control the air in their lungs either.))
That is different than controling the air around ICARUS.

((of course, but not being very proficent at human behaviour, she usualy assumes that being angry does not justify murder attempts :P))
Clearly we need to communicate to ICARUS the behavioral types of people outside the group.
Or at least Kyle's bad days.

If Kyle wanted a polite servant bot, he should have gone by customizing her voice files, instead of giving her the ability to actually dislike things.
That's what he did.
Remember, Kyle programmed HK, but not ICARUS. (IIRC.)

But other than that...I agree with a brief skimming of your points.

This whole thing reminds me of a movie I've read about. A military robot with a deadly experimental laser gets zapped by lightning and somehow gets a soul. For some reason, possibly related to the fact that in its first days as a sentient being it showed no comprehension of the value or even definition of life, they wanted to shut down the robot before, as Cracked put it, it "disassembled some toddlers".
In short, only IRIS would decide that it was a good idea to put their very first emotion prototype into ICARUS. And no, they didn't base ICARUS's emotions on HK; if they did, ICARUS would act like HK--aka, polite and loyal and such.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: March 05, 2014, 09:33:38 am »

A) They didn't think it was a good idea, in fact it was Will who convinced them to give it a try

B) I clearly remember that Kyle installed a programm that simulates emotions, and not a personality. Personality and emotions are entirely different things. Also, these emotions Kyle programmed were only patched in, unto the CPU that Sanderwick programmed. HK is entirely Kyle made, while ICARUS is a bit of patchwork with little coordinative talks happening between Kyle and Sanderwick, who I might say, was very much against taking steps that could possibly lead to robot sentience. That it actually  might happen, he didn't really foresee.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Atnegam

• Bay Watcher
  • Yoooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8885 on: March 05, 2014, 09:34:56 am »

You just heard 'voodoo' music adopted to steampunkery.
* Twi shrugs.

It makes more sense than what Atnegam listens to. :P
Is Atnegam, can confirm my music doesn't make sense.

Well, when I listen to metalcore it makes no sense. Lately I've been listening to multi-genre techno stuff and that's pretty clear xD

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: March 05, 2014, 09:37:05 am »

Hmm. Well, like I said, empathy=/= sympathy. One can understand emotions without feeling them, y'know. >:V

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: March 05, 2014, 09:39:03 am »

A) They didn't think it was a good idea, in fact it was Will who convinced them to give it a try

B) I clearly remember that Kyle installed a programm that simulates emotions, and not a personality. Personality and emotions are entirely different things. Also, these emotions Kyle programmed were only patched in, unto the CPU that Sanderwick programmed. HK is entirely Kyle made, while ICARUS is a bit of patchwork with little coordinative talks happening between Kyle and Sanderwick, who I might say, was very much against taking steps that could possibly lead to robot sentience. That it actually  might happen, he didn't really foresee.
A. Will was evidently misinformed on what they would actually be doing.
B. You can't have emotions without a personality; it's meaningless to talk of emotions alone. And, again, Will didn't expect them to put a hacked-together experimental AI onto a cutting-edge combot. Seriously, were they TRYING to create Skynet?

((2001? ))
No, the movie version of I, Robot. Yes, 2001.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: March 05, 2014, 09:41:15 am »

I am not sure wether an emotion-analysis programm would have actually done anything to make ICARUS likeable. Most people might not really welcome it when an uncaring robot calmly holds a monologue precisely analysing your emotions for everyone to hear. Such a robot would have to come with a very soft memory foam on her face and a very flexible neck, because of all the slappings it would receive.

edit: Also, I agree with GWG. The thing is a military bot. It is programmed to always consider wether or not just applying enough violence or threats of violence might be a good option. Giving such a thing the ability to be *upset* about something is really problematic. In the end they just thought that a) Kyle knew what he was doing and that b) the prime directives would make it impossible for the robot to act against orders. They were just as suprised as ICARUS was when they noticed she somehow worked her way around them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:49:59 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: March 05, 2014, 09:52:27 am »

Wait, why hasn't anyone mentioned Sen's Magic books to Lunette? That would bring all kinds of shenanigans.

Don't look at me. I've been waiting with glee to see what happens when Lunette digs into them. *nudge nudge, wink wink*

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: March 05, 2014, 10:00:17 am »

I am not sure wether an emotion-analysis programm would have actually done anything to make ICARUS likeable. Most people might not really welcome it when an uncaring robot calmly holds a monologue precisely analysing your emotions for everyone to hear. Such a robot would have to come with a very soft memory foam on her face and a very flexible neck, because of all the slappings it would receive.
...?
Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: March 05, 2014, 10:19:57 am »

Gold, I'm the one that first mentioned that bad shit was going down, IIRC. :P Though I suppose you might have run with it.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: March 05, 2014, 12:10:43 pm »

Gold, I'm the one that first mentioned that bad shit was going down, IIRC. :P Though I suppose you might have run with it.
I don't remember you mentioning it much at all.

((Okay so forewarning Scylla is released today, so I might suddenly vanish from the everything))
Scylla?

Akroma, are you there?
Sig

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: March 05, 2014, 12:18:32 pm »

[To: Luna] <Making the wound didn't trigger her issue?>

((It's kind of hard to resist the heating of air that you don't personally control...))
((Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, but when @Scapheap ran this, he applied it to prevent Kyle from using air magic to rupture people's lungs even though they couldn't control the air in their lungs either.))
That is different than controling the air around ICARUS.
Wait wasn't it the air inside her? If it was around her, then I would think that it would indeed cause the effect without a roll but could evaded without harm using DEX rather than MND since they wouldn't have the spell directly target them.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: March 05, 2014, 12:24:14 pm »

1. How much air is inside a robot? Not very much.
2. Depends on the size of the air space heated.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 1030