Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 970442 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14595 on: May 31, 2014, 04:09:50 pm »

stop trying to fix the system by refusing to admit that it needs fixing. Luthar is a prime example why the current system does not work. The stat-split deals with important measures. A) the game is too focused on dex. Splitting dex into two seperate stats makes it less game central and b) endurance givng both health *and* damage reduction makes you nearly invincible. Endurance has already been nerfed once, by making damage roll str +d50 vs just end, instead of end+d50. still, just pump endurance high enough and you have luthar, with 800 health, who takes on average 1 damage per turn

as for how high health actually is, the number is in no actual relation to any of the stats, or how much damage is usualy dealt. it's more or less decided arbitrary. Same for mana, which was never in any way outfitted with numbers regarding how much it actually does in damage

as for your poll, it was done before I suggested the current system, with new stats, and a different dice model. current thing that needs balancing: with straight str vs defence or straight mag vs resistance rolls, there is a big chance of many attacks doing no damage whatsovever, especialy the physical ones, as you can always spend more mana to make a hotter flame, but unless that is your ability, mana can't boost your muscles.

I have suggested that equipment gets a fixed amount of bonus on the str roll (dragon claws and similar counting as equipment in this sense), so physical attacks have a very average, if somewhat low damage, while magic attacks have lots of burst damage, but of course you run out of mana eventually
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 04:14:17 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14596 on: May 31, 2014, 04:26:37 pm »

And you never adressed my point. Why can't you just keep health and mana the way they are instead of shaking the system up this much.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: May 31, 2014, 04:28:14 pm »

And you never adressed my point. Why can't you just keep health and mana the way they are instead of shaking the system up this much.

Because their calculations were not balanced compared to the different stats and the damage we could put out? Because we had so much mana nobody bother tracking it or worrying about running out?

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: May 31, 2014, 04:31:16 pm »

I'm liking the look of the new system so far
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: May 31, 2014, 04:34:17 pm »

because everyone except you finds the system unbalanced and wants change. Getting rules and abilities balanced seems to be a much more pressing change than the setting

also, you don't have much of a point. You just keep going on and on and on how good the current system is and how that needs no changes whatsoever to the point where you may ragequit if we dare change it, but fully ignore the Luthar example. And he is not even the final boss.

in a system where it takes 50 turns to kill a boss, and where it takes 1-3 days to geta turn out, that however is primarily based on players interaction outside of combat (you may notice people are losing interest in the game left and right, because the combat does not interest them. If the battle lasts another 2 MONTHS the game will be dead. done. This should not happen again, and frankly, it's not Sanures or Elf fault, it's the system that simply can not handle big stats

on a side note with me, usec, cado, kansa, PN (over PM) and maybe GWG, Sanure and Projeck once they comment on the system, there is an overwhelming majority of players who seem to think this is a good idea. No, we will not all just simply listen to you because you love the old system so much.

and now, back on topic, what Usec adressed matters, we need to make sure not too many turns actually are damage less. what kinda of average damage boost should standard-weaponry bring?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14600 on: May 31, 2014, 04:36:58 pm »

If it matters, I agree with the new system, although the stats could use some streamlining.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14601 on: May 31, 2014, 04:39:48 pm »

it matters. it's a shame you are so inactive in the game, and it would be neat if you could get more back into it after the reboot. Anyway, what do you mean with streamlining, and how do you suggest it's done?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14602 on: May 31, 2014, 04:41:05 pm »

I dunno, there's just too many stats; Health and Mana could be decided by MAG and END, just change the equations.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14603 on: May 31, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »

Because it's easier to fit them into a new system rather than shoehorning the old health-and-mana into the new one? Aside from all the issues with the system itself, of course.

Remind me, what exactly is this "new system" everyone's going on about? There's so many scattered posts filled with commentary and changes that I kinda lost track.
Also, why is it all better than a GURPS variant?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14604 on: May 31, 2014, 04:49:20 pm »

Because while the new system is complicated it also works better for this and is less complicated than GURPS.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14605 on: May 31, 2014, 04:51:33 pm »

the problem is with endurance also increasing health, it snowballs quite heavily. Not only do you get more health, you also take less and less damage. In the end the growth is not linear. towards very high endurance, enemies do so little damage, that they'd have trouble defeating you even if you only had 200 health, but nope, you have 800. The opposition of endurance, strength does not scale to fit it, as all it does is increase base damage to get over your damage reduction so it can deal damage, but while the damage-damage reduction parts stay in the same relation, the health increases outside of that relation. on early levels, enemies where the attacker has the same amount of endurance the defender has will take like 5 attacks to kill the defender, but as the stats grow, both still have equal strength and defence, the number of attacks needed increases, as health increases.

Luthar is the best example. Even if we had someone with 50 strength to damage the guy, he could only, on average, deal 25 damage per attack, needing 16 attacks to deal with luthar (assuming all of these attacks hit, his 25 dex also plays a role her. with half of the attacks missing, that's already 32 attacks needed, and that is for someone with a *ridiculous* amount of strength.

endurance snowballs too much

((also gwg, just look around a bit, I made two longer posts, they are easy to spot. it's not gurps))

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14606 on: May 31, 2014, 04:55:21 pm »

Then you could combine STR and END into the same stat or make STR play a bigger role in HP.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14607 on: May 31, 2014, 04:55:57 pm »

Granted, but take a few perks in things like stealth and military tactics and you might get somewhere.
Heh, a character can, but they'll still have to RP it, hence my statement about requiring knowledge and/or research. If the player can't pull off any brilliant tactics, then neither can their character. If the player doesn't know the process of hacking, their character can not. Simple as that, no mechanical representation, just pure RP dictated by realism to prevent abuse.

I've not only seen potatoes destroy humanity (repeatedly), interdimensional slapfights, supertea powered demigods, more crossovers then you can imagine, and reality saved by a insane god riding a potato: I made them happen. I am ready for any amount of bullshite they can throw at me.
You're probably fine then. Craziest thing here would probably be the methamphetamine-powered philosopher's stones that are imbued with the eldritch power of economics.

Mind - determines how good you are figuring things out, manipulating people and complex things. Possible bonus: I have no idea
How about we keep it as mental defense and whatnot? Otherwise people could just use it to make plans and whatnot without defining any part of a plan.

The results from my last poll are, at this point: Five votes that the system remain the same, and one each for GURPS, a GURPS hybrid, and borrowing ER's system. Judging by the thread chat, kj somehow voted five times. As for the others...well, could everyone vote? Please? And if I'm wrong about kj voting five times, could y'all speak up?
I voted for the ER system. I also just checked whether I could vote multiple times, turns out, I cannot. So unless @KJ got other people to vote or circumvented it, which I doubt simply due to it seeming unlikely he would go through all that effort just to tamper with a poll, I would presume he didn't. Perhaps people voted for the old system at first but then changed their minds?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14608 on: May 31, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »

I dunno, there's just too many stats; Health and Mana could be decided by MAG and END, just change the equations.

We fucking went over this before. More END makes you more tankier, so if it increases your health as well it makes giant blobs of health like Luthar/Neferis. And if MAG gives you more mana, then you can fling around more spells that are more powerful. Part of the problem with the old system is that stats did double/triple duty, which meant that some stats were obviously much more OP than other stats. Splitting all of the effects/attributes into their own stats makes things more balanced without adding significantly more complexity. And if you think that adding more stats makes the game much more complex then I swear to god I'll show everyone how goddamn simple this system is.

Sorry for the language. We've been over this multiple times and it's starting to get to me now.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14609 on: May 31, 2014, 04:58:49 pm »

I will point out I didn't vote in the poll at all.
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1030