Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 970422 times)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #15075 on: June 03, 2014, 12:18:01 am »

There would be less variability in her powers, In the gurps method i would not have  as many varients on burn stuff that i do now, the clense has the drawback of having a chance to hurt the target too
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #15076 on: June 03, 2014, 04:37:10 am »

so, where do we stand, what still needs to be done? Setting is mostly done, only 3 characters remain entirely stat-less. I guess what remains now is for GWG to go over our abilities, look at how many points they'd be worth in total, and then inform us wether they need toning down, if we should perhaps get some flaws to balance out our PP, or if maybe we even have some point left over for some additional perks?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15077 on: June 03, 2014, 04:40:05 am »

We probably should get a consolidated summary of all lore. Not the fluff. Not the structure. The actual mechanics and laws of each supernatural type along with their properties. After all, @SmurfingtonTheThird is unlikely to know all the lore, not to mention that most players probably don't know all the lore.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: June 03, 2014, 05:03:37 am »

I'll eventually PM the lore I send to Elf and partialy to PN to smurf then. Though I won't post it in here, too many spoilers.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: June 03, 2014, 05:40:26 am »

Here is the summary of all the general lore I have

Species:
Spoiler: Phoenixes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fate Contractors (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fate Aspects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wall Street Entities (click to show/hide)

Supernatural Forces
Spoiler: Fate (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wall Street (click to show/hide)

Random crap
Spoiler: Philosopher's Stone (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:42:18 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15080 on: June 03, 2014, 07:09:11 am »

so, where do we stand, what still needs to be done? Setting is mostly done, only 3 characters remain entirely stat-less. I guess what remains now is for GWG to go over our abilities, look at how many points they'd be worth in total, and then inform us wether they need toning down, if we should perhaps get some flaws to balance out our PP, or if maybe we even have some point left over for some additional perks?
Indeed. I'll start going over characters once I get the chance. In the meantime, could people with vaguer abilities summarize how they envision their abilities working?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15081 on: June 03, 2014, 08:02:07 am »

I believe I've already covered Selina--Snatcher (Permanent, Cosmic [Costs FP, 12], Costs FP (10), Limited Use (max 2 times/day), Magical, Preparation Required (8 hours), Stunning, Takes Recharge (1 hour), Trigger (Drawing Materials), Untrainable), plus Pacifism (Total Nonviolence) and Combat Paralysis. Her power has several restrictions not present in the first versions of the game; she's usually limited to summoning things that weigh five pounds or less (so Conny's gonna be tiny again), drawing a picture suitable for creation takes eight hours, she can only try to remove two things per day and has to wait at least an hour between them, she always has a 50-50 chance of success, and the fatigue penalties are set in stone (on the verge of collapse for most things, unconscious and injured if she tries to take out big or living things.

I can't find anything for blood abilities, so I'll skip that. Here, we'll definitely need to use the point-cost-reducing Alternate Form rules. Dragon form has some pretty clear disadvantages anyways. We'll also want a hybrid form with some of the powers, so that's a total of 30 points. 70/0.9=~77, so we'll need to keep the total of all things below that.
Flight (Winged) would be 30 points. Four points of DR (hm, we'll need to figure out typical damage values in GURPS and the annoyingly unnamed FE-based system) for the scales, with the Can't Wear Armor limitation, costs another 12 points. Then, let's add another...oh...16 points of DR that only works on fire, worth another 16 points. Let's give her Sharp Claws and Sharp Teeth, which should add up to a Good weapon in the unnamed system and definitely cost 6 points. Another 10 points gives you fire breath, and increasing that to 20 lets us make it a cone with a maximum width of 5 yards. That should be an impressive burst of flame. So far, we've got 84 points. Okay...I think we need to get started on the disadvantages. Taking double damage from cold gives you another 30 points. There's a convenient meta-trait on page 263, allowing me to just list "Quadruped" and give you another 35 points. Okay, that's probably enough, since now Stella's dragon form is only worth 19 points more than her human one. So let's start by giving her +2 Strength (30 points, as per the rules I set up earlier) and the Cleanse bit of fire (which Angle suggests would be Healing (Afflictions Only), which would probably be a bit more severe than Disease Only, so let's charge you 12 points for that). The dragon form is now 61 points, meaning that the total cost of that Alternate Form is 70 points. Throw in the cost for the midway form and we've got 85; that leaves 15, which is spent on Regeneration (Slow)*, two levels of Acute Taste and Smell, and Sanitized Metabolism (all of which function in all forms). There we go, a dragon-girl! All that needs to be done is deciding what traits function in the hybrid form and figure out a good conversion factor between GURPS and Unnamed-System damage/HP.

*1 GURPS-HP per 12 hours, in addition to normal healing.

Next, HILDA. The Magic Shots seem like a typical Innate Attack with some stunning (follow-up Affliction?) mixed in. Let's say...25 points overall. Flight would be 40 points, or less if you want to (say) only let her fly up to a certain height off the ground or something. "Shapeshifting" sounds like Morph (Cosmetic, Mass Conservation, Retains Shape) for 20 points. Belkelel's Sight would be Detect (Magic) for 10 points. Next, meta-traits: AI for 32 points*, and Machine for 25. HILDA has...-52 points left. Um. Well, I could give her 50 points of disadvantages, but you would still need to trim some stuff. So...I'll pause here.

*More or less what it sounds like. See Pg 263 of the CBI for more information.

That should be enough for this post. Especially since I'm fuzzy on what to do with HILDA.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15082 on: June 03, 2014, 08:11:29 am »

man, these giant blocks of text. Please try to make it more in a list style, with appropriate spoilers and spacing. It's confusing to work out what you have going on there

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #15083 on: June 03, 2014, 08:13:29 am »

If you don't have anything for blood abilities what about other abilities that have to do with liquids?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15084 on: June 03, 2014, 08:15:07 am »

...When did weight matter again?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:15 am »

I think this entirely overthrows any of the summoning rules we had so far. I am not sure just how much this gurps stuff actually fits into anything we have, nor am I sure why stuff like quadruped or stuff being untrainable makes stuff balanced. As it stands, with this, Selina can barely do anything at all

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: June 03, 2014, 08:20:39 am »

What has happened from my perspective is Selina just lost all chance of doing anything in combat, especially with the sudden weight limit to her summons? So... she can summon a 175 stat living lunch box monster? Or hungry medicine ball? Or a REALLY tiny soldier? ...Thats really bad...
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: June 03, 2014, 08:24:58 am »

I think we should rethink the whole gurps thing..

it seems to work out for Stella, somewhat, and *maybe* for Sen, partially, but as it stands, the whole conversion thing is all too badly explained and seemingly, if you ask me, unneeded. I will leave it up for vote

http://strawpoll.me/1815270/r

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15088 on: June 03, 2014, 08:29:41 am »

man, these giant blocks of text. Please try to make it more in a list style, with appropriate spoilers and spacing. It's confusing to work out what you have going on there
Sorry.

If you don't have anything for blood abilities what about other abilities that have to do with liquids?
I don't think there are any. I mean, you can have acidic spit as an Innate Attack, but aside from that...

...When did weight matter again?
It's a limitation in the Snatcher ability. That Cosmic enhancement would let you summon bigger things (at a cost).

I think this entirely overthrows any of the summoning rules we had so far. I am not sure just how much this gurps stuff actually fits into anything we have, nor am I sure why stuff like quadruped or stuff being untrainable makes stuff balanced. As it stands, with this, Selina can barely do anything at all
"Quadruped" means several things. No hands, for instance.
Being untrainable merely makes Selina's ability less unbalanced. And what do you suggest instead? Bear in mind that we were considering her one of the more overpowered characters before we started reconsidering the system...

What has happened from my perspective is Selina just lost all chance of doing anything in combat, especially with the sudden weight limit to her summons? So... she can summon a 175 stat living lunch box monster? Or hungry medicine ball? Or a REALLY tiny soldier? ...Thats really bad...
When did Selina become a combat character?

I think we should rethink the whole gurps thing..

it seems to work out for Stella, somewhat, and *maybe* for Sen, partially, but as it stands, the whole conversion thing is all too badly explained and seemingly, if you ask me, unneeded. I will leave it up for vote
I'm pretty confident that it would work for more characters than not, and provide a better solution for balance than "nothing at all". Also, I'm a bit annoyed that after acting interested so I would put all this work into making the system work, you suddenly change your mind at the first hiccup.

http://strawpoll.me/1815270/r
Great. How do we vote?
Sig

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: June 03, 2014, 08:31:55 am »

I think we should try to work through the hiccups in the GURPS system before abandoning it completely, this is the first attempt at it so of course it is going to be bumpy.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1030