Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 67

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends  (Read 592311 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends
« Reply #420 on: June 03, 2012, 12:44:10 am »

is Spearbreakers in the ballot?

The fact that wa seven asked in this thread makes me feel honored for starting that abomination. A teaser: Stay away from the hospital!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 10, 2012, 01:38:33 am »

Has The Age Of Myth: Goldenhold been nominated? I'd like to do so if it hasn't.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96646.0

It's a novel-length story about the downfall of the largest dwarven metropolis ever described, by two great armies of humans and goblins, and the subsequent invasion by horrors from the deep.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 10, 2012, 01:46:02 am »

It's a novel-length story about the downfall of the largest dwarven metropolis ever described, by two great armies of humans and goblins, and the subsequent invasion by horrors from the deep.

Actually, as the author I discount this for several reasons.  I am the one in this thread who proposed we stopped putting stories in here like whores, an while it was long the story faltered in several parts.  Plenty of stories are worth reading, and Goldenhold was.  But it isn't a MUST BE READ for Dwarf Fortress. 

The story does not represent Dwarf Fortress in several ways.  If you want me to post a terribly long explanation why it does not, I will.  But towards the end I realized my failure, and I'm going to revisit it sooner or later.  After I do platinumgod since I finally admitted I needed to start planning out my stories, and throw out chapter 4.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 10, 2012, 06:18:44 pm »

Count another vote up for Glazedcoast!
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 21, 2012, 03:24:37 pm »

Voting for "If Bay Forums was a Mountain Hall".

edit:
EDIT: Also, is Spearbreakers in the ballot?
Also, is this a nomination, or...?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:49:17 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 24, 2012, 04:42:43 am »

Multiworld madness isn't active anymore.

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2012, 12:38:22 pm »

Just throwing this out there if no-one's heard, but Something Awful has started another DF LP, and it's already shaping up to be a glowing testement to the memory of Boatmurdered and Gemclod.

Take a moment to read the budding adventures of Bronzestabbed

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 26, 2012, 05:36:24 pm »

Just throwing this out there if no-one's heard, but Something Awful has started another DF LP, and it's already shaping up to be a glowing testement to the memory of Boatmurdered and Gemclod.

URL fixed.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 11, 2012, 11:33:28 am »

Whups! A little late, but it's been quiet lately- no harm no foul, right?

Fifteen votes for glazedcoast
I vote for If Bay Forum Were a Mountain Hall.

Count another vote up for Glazedcoast!
Voting for "If Bay Forums was a Mountain Hall".

edit:
Also, is this a nomination, or...?

Votes added! Spearbreakers is not currently on the ballot- would you like to nominate it at this time?

Multiworld madness isn't active anymore.

Amended!

URL fixed.

I'm assuming this is a nomination, and have acted accordingly. It will become eligible to receive votes in August.

Actually, as the author I discount this for several reasons.  I am the one in this thread who proposed we stopped putting stories in here like whores, an while it was long the story faltered in several parts.  Plenty of stories are worth reading, and Goldenhold was.  But it isn't a MUST BE READ for Dwarf Fortress. 

The story does not represent Dwarf Fortress in several ways.  If you want me to post a terribly long explanation why it does not, I will.  But towards the end I realized my failure, and I'm going to revisit it sooner or later.  After I do platinumgod since I finally admitted I needed to start planning out my stories, and throw out chapter 4.

Since the thread creator said not to accept this nomination, I won't at this time- if anyone wants to override the thread creator, feel free.

So! New month means new eligibility, and this month Brightwater becomes eligible to receive votes. If you think this thread is worthy of inclusion in the Hall of Legends, cast your ballots now!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:46 pm »

This fort got nominated earlier, and several of the active contributors objected, saying it was much too early for it to be entered into the prestigious Hall. However, considering what has happened between then and now, I think it's time.

Behold, Hellcannon. A monument to all our sins.

Quick list of major accomplishments:

1. Broke what was left of Strategia's sanity, causing him to do a post a la House of Leaves.
2. The fort refused to acknowledge its own death.
3. Had a time warp due to file corruption, caused by a particularly potent bug.
4. Killed every single member of the fort's military.
5. Released the clowns, who refused to enter the upper levels of the fortress. Probably out of fear, considering the madness that had enveloped the fort.

It is currently arcangelsd's turn. He says he has pulled ALL THE LEVERS, and mentioned something about exploding children. His update is due out tomorrow. We're waiting like caffeinated nerds at an Apple convention.

Oh, and there's some great roleplaying/writing in there, including Eric Blank's start on his Epic of Aluonra. Deathsword undertook the massive task of archiving the Battlefailed Saga (can't say trilogy anymore, since we're working on starting a fourth), which you may want to include if Hellcannon joins the other two forts in the Hall. The link is in the Hellcannon OP.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »

This fort got nominated earlier, and several of the active contributors objected, saying it was much too early for it to be entered into the prestigious Hall. However, considering what has happened between then and now, I think it's time.

Behold, Hellcannon. A monument to all our sins.

Quick list of major accomplishments:

1. Broke what was left of Strategia's sanity, causing him to do a post a la House of Leaves.
2. The fort refused to acknowledge its own death.
3. Had a time warp due to file corruption, caused by a particularly potent bug.
4. Killed every single member of the fort's military.
5. Released the clowns, who refused to enter the upper levels of the fortress. Probably out of fear, considering the madness that had enveloped the fort.

It is currently arcangelsd's turn. He says he has pulled ALL THE LEVERS, and mentioned something about exploding children. His update is due out tomorrow. We're waiting like caffeinated nerds at an Apple convention.

Oh, and there's some great roleplaying/writing in there, including Eric Blank's start on his Epic of Aluonra. Deathsword undertook the massive task of archiving the Battlefailed Saga (can't say trilogy anymore, since we're working on starting a fourth), which you may want to include if Hellcannon joins the other two forts in the Hall. The link is in the Hellcannon OP.

Could I make a different suggestion?

Instead of posting each story individually in this thread as a different entry, simply make the series legendary and post the original battlefailed thread along with the download file (i was hoping for archived like gemclod.  Oh well.  Can't ask for too much). And traditionally post a small description of the series as well.  Take this in stead of posting/voting each individually.  If the major players / readers of the series believe a sequel in it is unworthy allow them to sort it out for themselves.

This will avoid crowding I believe, along with setting up a system in a future for other long good series (these forums are growing more popular, after all).  Additionally the stories seemed to be focused around the idea of a DF 2010 Boatmurdered so what they bring to the table is similar.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I also believe that several of the writers/readers are the same.

If this option would be too much of a hassle could I instead opt for a thread with links to the others.  Is it possible to lock a thread you made to others?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:06:21 pm by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 12, 2012, 05:41:18 pm »

Instead of posting each story individually in this thread as a different entry, simply make the series legendary and post the original battlefailed thread along with the download file (i was hoping for archived like gemclod.  Oh well.  Can't ask for too much). And traditionally post a small description of the series as well.  Take this in stead of posting/voting each individually.  If the major players / readers of the series believe a sequel in it is unworthy allow them to sort it out for themselves.

I like this idea. Considering that the Battlefailed series has the potential to just keep going, like an overly long gag, we don't want to turn this thread into "The Battlefailed Series And Some Other Good Stories".

This will avoid crowding I believe, along with setting up a system in a future for other long good series (these forums are growing more popular, after all).  Additionally the stories seemed to be focused around the idea of a DF 2010 Boatmurdered so what they bring to the table is similar.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I also believe that several of the writers/readers are the same.

Well, Boatmurdered is considered by many to one of the greatest, if not the greatest, succession fort. We all have those things that inspire us. And yes, a lot of the people that take part in the making of the Battlefailed series have been in it for a while. But, that's not to say it's always the same crowd. Robocorn, the one who started it all with Battlefailed, mostly disappeared during/after Failcannon. Andreus and SethCreiyd, who both played major roles in Battlefailed and Failcannon, haven't been around much for Hellcannon. And, on the flip side, Eric Blank, Strategia, and I didn't come in until Failcannon, but have been doing a lot of work in Hellcannon. So, yes, while people like Urist Imiknorris have been with the series the whole time, people do fade in and out. We're not the *same* crowd, but we're just as insane.

If this option would be too much of a hassle could I instead opt for a thread with links to the others.  Is it possible to lock a thread you made to others?

Not sure what you mean here, but each OP of the current trilogy has links to the other two threads.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2012, 02:45:04 pm »

@Mego

So, would it be within the rules of the thread to simply do as I suggested?  Leave it to the OP I guess...

Okay.  I've thought of a better way to explain it.  The writing style is the same as that of boatmurdered- it's about insanity and most of the times the writers are unsensitive to death.  This is a consistency among all three of those stories- they are defined by the tragedies.  Did you see the list he gave?  "Here is how we've successfully managed to fuck ourselves up."  It's not BAD, but it is sort of like boatmurdered where we make fun of elephants.  Also, the writers tend to act more like players than like the dwarves they are roleplaying.

In comparison, I'd give Headshoots versus Syrupleaf, they are in the same series but with a vastly different style.

Headshoots is almost a story of success.  Despite the fact the fortress burned to the ground, it was done because they HAD TO MOD THE GAME, and even then with the epilogue they said it was totally possible that the fortress joined the pantheon.  This leads to things being vastly over the top!  The adamantine breastplate, gods in armor.  However, the writers act like the dwarves.  Things are constantly going up and down, and the mood if anything is inconsitant, but things seem to be going up.

Syrupleaf is depressing.  While the champions are given some attention, the story is mostly about how awful things are, curses, demons, and people actually are given a great deal of characterization.  This story of sadness could have been written boatmurdered style- but it wasn't.  It was a tale of weakness and how vulnerable the people of the fort were. 

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:58:08 pm by RabidAnubis »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2012, 05:52:12 pm »

Okay.  I've thought of a better way to explain it.  The writing style is the same as that of boatmurdered- it's about insanity and most of the times the writers are unsensitive to death.  This is a consistency among all three of those stories- they are defined by the tragedies.  Did you see the list he gave?  "Here is how we've successfully managed to fuck ourselves up."  It's not BAD, but it is sort of like boatmurdered where we make fun of elephants.  Also, the writers tend to act more like players than like the dwarves they are roleplaying.

I am totally agreeing with you. The style of the Battlefailed series is a lot like Boatmurdered. We the overseers are batshit insane. And we like it. Chaotic Neutral all the way.

However, there is one difference. You mentioned the list of ways Boatmurdered managed to screw up. The list I gave for Hellcannon is a list of successes in our eyes. Also, we've developed a habit of stress-testing the game. We come up with such terrible AWESOME ideas that the game doesn't know how to handle it. Like the zero-population thing.

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 14, 2012, 02:56:19 am »

So I add another post, now with legit voice for Brightwater, or proposer's voice not counted?
Adventures of brave Likot Udendeb in pictures
Urist McLegendary likes adamantine, steel, mugs and noobs for their questions. He absolutely detests trolls.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 67