Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 67

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends  (Read 592340 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends
« Reply #435 on: July 15, 2012, 01:30:33 pm »

I'll throw a vote in for Brightwater then, I found/find it thoroughly enjoyable to read.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 15, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »

I'll throw a vote in for Brightwater then, I found/find it thoroughly enjoyable to read.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 15, 2012, 06:40:43 pm »

Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:16 pm »

I shall do much the same.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 19, 2012, 10:10:55 am »

My vote is for "If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall"
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 19, 2012, 08:48:12 pm »

I vote for Hellcannon.  I'm biased, of course, but it's a great read nonetheless.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 19, 2012, 10:49:56 pm »

I vote for Brightwater. It is actually an excellent read, Sphalerite narrates the story of the fort extremely well in my opinion. WAR SPARROWS FTW!!

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 22, 2012, 08:06:33 pm »

I vote for Severedcoils

it is a impressive read and imaginative story

arbiter787

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING] noobishness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 31, 2012, 09:46:54 am »

I nominate the fort of Reveredtour. Look at it and see for yourself how awesome Internet Kraken's story is.
Link:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.245167-Lets-Play-Dwarf-Fortress-Syndrome-Conundrum?page=1
Most people say "I hate losing". I say "Hells yes I lost to a zombie unicorn rampage!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 11, 2012, 01:30:23 pm »

So I add another post, now with legit voice for Brightwater, or proposer's voice not counted?

I shall do much the same.
-J-
I vote for Brightwater. It is actually an excellent read, Sphalerite narrates the story of the fort extremely well in my opinion. WAR SPARROWS FTW!!

Votes added! Brightwater has been inducted into the Hall of Legends! *dadurrr*

My vote is for "If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall"
I vote for Severedcoils

it is a impressive read and imaginative story

Votes Added!

I nominate the fort of Reveredtour. Look at it and see for yourself how awesome Internet Kraken's story is.
Link:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.245167-Lets-Play-Dwarf-Fortress-Syndrome-Conundrum?page=1

Reveredtour has been nominated, and will be eligible to receive votes in September.

This fort got nominated earlier, and several of the active contributors objected, saying it was much too early for it to be entered into the prestigious Hall. However, considering what has happened between then and now, I think it's time.

Behold, Hellcannon. A monument to all our sins.

Quick list of major accomplishments:

1. Broke what was left of Strategia's sanity, causing him to do a post a la House of Leaves.
2. The fort refused to acknowledge its own death.
3. Had a time warp due to file corruption, caused by a particularly potent bug.
4. Killed every single member of the fort's military.
5. Released the clowns, who refused to enter the upper levels of the fortress. Probably out of fear, considering the madness that had enveloped the fort.

It is currently arcangelsd's turn. He says he has pulled ALL THE LEVERS, and mentioned something about exploding children. His update is due out tomorrow. We're waiting like caffeinated nerds at an Apple convention.

Oh, and there's some great roleplaying/writing in there, including Eric Blank's start on his Epic of Aluonra. Deathsword undertook the massive task of archiving the Battlefailed Saga (can't say trilogy anymore, since we're working on starting a fourth), which you may want to include if Hellcannon joins the other two forts in the Hall. The link is in the Hellcannon OP.

Could I make a different suggestion?

Instead of posting each story individually in this thread as a different entry, simply make the series legendary and post the original battlefailed thread along with the download file (i was hoping for archived like gemclod.  Oh well.  Can't ask for too much). And traditionally post a small description of the series as well.  Take this in stead of posting/voting each individually.  If the major players / readers of the series believe a sequel in it is unworthy allow them to sort it out for themselves.

This will avoid crowding I believe, along with setting up a system in a future for other long good series (these forums are growing more popular, after all).  Additionally the stories seemed to be focused around the idea of a DF 2010 Boatmurdered so what they bring to the table is similar.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I also believe that several of the writers/readers are the same.

If this option would be too much of a hassle could I instead opt for a thread with links to the others.  Is it possible to lock a thread you made to others?

This raises a good point, and has precedent in the Hall in the entry for Sparkgears. If nobody raises any objections in this next month here, then I'll consolidate the Battlefailed saga into a single entry with links to each separate incarnation, including Hellcannon, and generalize the description to encompass the saga as a whole. If you think this is a bad idea, make your voice heard and we'll discuss it.

And final order of business, Bronzestabbed of the Something Awful forums is eligible for induction into the Hall of Legends this month- if you think it is worthy of inclusion, cast your votes!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 22, 2012, 05:09:30 pm »

As I understand it, the above suggestion by Mego and RabidAnubis means that any subsequent fortresses in the "Battlefailed" series are immediately inducted into the Hall of Legends, nominated or not, and regardless of the number of votes it receives. Although I see the value in getting the "full story" instead of just getting links to the best among them, I'm against the idea, as the Hall is supposed to be for only "the best of the best" - those threads worthy to be ranked among legends such as Boatmurdered and Nist Akath. If a fortress was to come along in the series that was determined to be greatly sub-par, it would still automatically have a place here, and I really don't like the thought of that.

I'm not saying that Hellcannon isn't worthy of The Hall, I'm just saying I feel spots here ought to be earned. It shouldn't be difficult to obtain six votes for it, correct?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 22, 2012, 05:16:32 pm »

As I understand it, the above suggestion by Mego and RabidAnubis means that any subsequent fortresses in the "Battlefailed" series are immediately inducted into the Hall of Legends, nominated or not, and regardless of the number of votes it receives. Although I see the value in getting the "full story" instead of just getting links to the best among them, I'm against the idea, as the Hall is supposed to be for only "the best of the best" - those threads worthy to be ranked among legends such as Boatmurdered and Nist Akath. If a fortress was to come along in the series that was determined to be greatly sub-par, it would still automatically have a place here, and I really don't like the thought of that.

I'm not saying that Hellcannon isn't worthy of The Hall, I'm just saying I feel spots here ought to be earned. It shouldn't be difficult to obtain six votes for it, correct?

Your statements are valid, and they're why I'm not entirely comfortable with the system we just created. However, as monk12 said, it has precedence with Sparkgears. Should any fort fail to be epic enough to be included in the series, we can always retcon it out.

Also I failed to completely read RabidAnubis's post, it seems. There is a Battlefailed archive, lovingly maintained by Deathsword. There are links in the Hellcannon and Horrorfailed OPs.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 22, 2012, 05:39:56 pm »

If at least one of the Bay12ers in each fortress is still active, it shouldn't be too difficult to modify an earlier post to direct potential readers towards later episodes even if they don't make it into the Hall. Something along the lines of:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This would solve the issue with readers not getting the full story. Many readers would prefer to only read the best parts of a series at first anyway, and perhaps go back to see what they missed later.

I'm sure if I'd been here for Sparkgears, I would've been against it being automatically inducted, too. :P But as I said, if Hellcannon truly is worthy to be here, shouldn't it be capable of generating six votes? If it isn't, in a way it's already been "retconned out" by unpopular opinion. (Again, not saying that that's the case.)

What I'm saying actually works against me, in a way - my favorite succession fort, Spearbreakers, is itself part of the Headshoots/Syrupleaf series branch from Boatmurdered. While I'd feel safer for it to be guaranteed a spot, I don't feel it would be right. Moreover, it raises the question: "How do you determine if a series is great enough to merit being given a guaranteed spot in the Hall of Legends for all future fortresses?"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:50:04 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 22, 2012, 05:50:29 pm »

What I'm saying actually works against me, in a way - my favorite succession fort, Spearbreakers, is itself part of the Headshoots/Syrupleaf series branch from Boatmurdered. While I'd feel safer for it to be guaranteed a spot, I don't feel it would be right. Moreover, it raises the question: "How do you determine if a series is great enough to merit being given a guaranteed spot in the Hall of Legends for all future fortresses?"

Or, another question, is there such a level of greatness, or should each individual fortress have to prove itself?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 22, 2012, 08:32:10 pm »

I'd say each should  prove itself. I personally don't think my own damned fort is up to hall of legends worth yet, despite it only taking 5 turns to turn into a loony house of directionless doors, unused rooms and a living fireball sitting on a towercap shout at the other FBs it doesn't wanna go in even though there's an open entry right there in front of it.

We still lack... something. What it is I have no idea but Spearbreakers doesn't quite have it yet to be nominated even in my opinion. And I created it (with some extensive assistance.) SO therefore we must still prove ourselves.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 67