Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends  (Read 592235 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends
« Reply #450 on: August 23, 2012, 12:03:10 am »

I'm not sure if Spearbreakers could really be considered a sequel to Syrupleaf/Hellcannon/Swordthunders/whatever... while that was definitely the intent, it's more of a really ambitious fanfic rather than an 'official' work, and there's not much of a functional connection to its source works save for the presence of Parasol and a few references.

For what it's worth, I do feel that it's notable enough to at least merit a nomination, though I am not myself nominating it, as I sort of feel like a co-creator and that nominating it myself would thus be in poor taste.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 23, 2012, 12:49:07 am »

I saw the Spawn of Holistic in the description, and I have decided to read through it now. Syrupleaf was awesome because of the Spawn, and I'd love to see how you guys deal with them.

Also, I agree that there's not much of an "official" connection, seeing as how Headshoots and Syrupleaf were SomethingAwful Let's Plays. Still, continuing the saga is cool in any way.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 23, 2012, 01:15:30 am »

Well, that's the problem... it doesn't so much "continue the saga" as use it as a backdrop for a moderately-confusing sci-fi plot that's only tangentially-related to the fort itself, let alone what came before. I feel that it has come into its own in that respect (deeply-subjective, of course -- there's a lot that could have been done better), but a hypothetical reader coming in expecting a true continuation and expansion of what happened at Syrupleaf likely be very sorely disappointed.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 23, 2012, 01:23:06 am »

A hypothetical reader coming in expecting a true continuation and expansion of what happened at Syrupleaf likely be very sorely disappointed.

This. Though the aforementioned sci-fi sideplot is more the result of us having a little too much free time between updates.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 29, 2012, 07:25:19 am »

I vote for Glazedcoast, because I've rarely seen a DF story this well written. Plus, it's extremely hilarious. Everybody should read this.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

GHudston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 01, 2012, 10:51:13 am »

I'd also like to vote for Glazedcoast, it's by far the most entertaining Dwarf Fortress story that I've read in a good long while.

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 02, 2012, 01:39:11 pm »

I give my voice to Glazedcoast.
Adventures of brave Likot Udendeb in pictures
Urist McLegendary likes adamantine, steel, mugs and noobs for their questions. He absolutely detests trolls.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 04, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »

What I'm saying actually works against me, in a way - my favorite succession fort, Spearbreakers, is itself part of the Headshoots/Syrupleaf series branch from Boatmurdered. While I'd feel safer for it to be guaranteed a spot, I don't feel it would be right. Moreover, it raises the question: "How do you determine if a series is great enough to merit being given a guaranteed spot in the Hall of Legends for all future fortresses?"

Or, another question, is there such a level of greatness, or should each individual fortress have to prove itself?

Well, I'd say that if you post the link instead you let those who would normally rapid vote for such a thing do it themselves.  It had been done with sparkgear.  Either way, I have noticed a significant drop now with the new system in OMG post the THREAD!  LEGENDARY AFTER A FORTRESS OF 2 YEARS CRAP!  So, unless we find that each story get's continuously elected we should all be cool now.

Mine was in a situation that if the series went to like 343 fortresses we'd have to "Sparkgear it"  but as of now the problem seems irrelevent.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:56 am »

I would like to note that Glitterglen has concluded some months ago.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 05, 2012, 04:13:07 am »

I vote for Glazedcoast, because I've rarely seen a DF story this well written. Plus, it's extremely hilarious. Everybody should read this.
I, for one, deem Glazedcoast to be legend-worthy indeed. It's all fun and games until rotting orphans start turning up, and then it's just hilarious. Also, the head of Glazedcoast Board of Tourism must be a Legendary +5 Liar...  :P

So, +1 vote for Glazedcoast.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:14 pm »

I, for one, deem Glazedcoast to be legend-worthy indeed. It's all fun and games until rotting orphans start turning up, and then it's just hilarious. Also, the head of Glazedcoast Board of Tourism must be a Legendary +5 Liar...  :P

So, +1 vote for Glazedcoast.
I give my voice to Glazedcoast.
I'd also like to vote for Glazedcoast, it's by far the most entertaining Dwarf Fortress story that I've read in a good long while.

Votes added! Glazedcoast has been inducted into the Hall of Legends! *da durrrr*

I would like to note that Glitterglen has concluded some months ago.

Updated!

As I understand it, the above suggestion by Mego and RabidAnubis means that any subsequent fortresses in the "Battlefailed" series are immediately inducted into the Hall of Legends, nominated or not, and regardless of the number of votes it receives. Although I see the value in getting the "full story" instead of just getting links to the best among them, I'm against the idea, as the Hall is supposed to be for only "the best of the best" - those threads worthy to be ranked among legends such as Boatmurdered and Nist Akath. If a fortress was to come along in the series that was determined to be greatly sub-par, it would still automatically have a place here, and I really don't like the thought of that.

I'm not saying that Hellcannon isn't worthy of The Hall, I'm just saying I feel spots here ought to be earned. It shouldn't be difficult to obtain six votes for it, correct?

After hearing votes for and against the "Series Structure" proposition, I have decided that we will not be making a format change at this time- each entry must make it in on its own merits. With that settled, I've added Mego's voice as a vote in favor of Hellcannon's inclusion, and anyone else who deems it worthy of induction may vote now.

On a related note, Reveredtour is now eligible for induction into the Hall of Legends. If you deem this fortress Legendary, you may cast your votes now!

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 12, 2012, 04:18:32 pm »

Necrothreat
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 12, 2012, 07:41:11 pm »

Necrothreat

LOL no Sprin, we aren't there yet, even after it nearly died in the THIRD YEAR (during the leadership of parties who shall go unmentioned :P you know who you are) It doesnt change the fact that its barely even off the ground yet, give it about ten more turns, then maybe we'll see.

I personally would like to nominate Spearbreakers, since no one else seems to be working up the balls to do so, and cast my vote for it.

EDIT: After being informed of Hall rules, heres the specifics for the nomination of Spearbreakers

Linky-Linky: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102730.0

Description: A succession fort that started as a broad ranging sequel to nearly all the greats, Spearbreakers, like the awesome bastard son of a king, has moved away from trying to succeed them in favor of being a fresh new experience full of modded monstrocities stuck on inaccessible ledges, a hospital with a killcount higher then the resident superdorf, and a science fiction subplot that is more convoluted then that of Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid mashed together by a chimpanzee on LSD.
Come visit Spearbreakers, where you will walk inside, and immediately be suffocated by mugs!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:27:02 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 24, 2012, 01:15:30 pm »

Necrothreat

Could you give a link to that

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 24, 2012, 02:34:09 pm »

Necrothreat

Could you give a link to that

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19244.15

But as BFEL said, we are FAR FAR FAR (can't stress enough how far) from the hall. Anyway, you asked for the link so I provide.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67