Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 133479 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Let's keep this train on its rails
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2016, 06:34:46 pm »

ptw these social constructs

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2016, 02:18:11 am »

I subscribe to Grampa Simpson's philosophy: "Whenever I'm confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answer to all the important questions."

Australia still doesn't know whether we're going to get to see gay marriage laws passed. The fact that the majority of parliament attended church before getting sworn in doesn't bode well of course.

Still, it's gotta happen eventually.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2016, 02:25:27 am »

If we let gays marry, then they'll start breeding, then before you know it, we'll be knee deep in clubs pumping out Kylie Minogue's greatest hits 24 hours a day. Do you really want to live in that future?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2016, 02:30:26 am »

IIRC, demisexual was invented on a quite terrible RP thread on some obscure forum in 2008, to mean something like "only sexually attracted to people I have a romantic attraction to". I have no idea how it evolved since then.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2016, 02:33:20 am »

Enough that in university courses you can get exposed to the concept of nano/pico/demi and what have you genders/sexuality. Personally, I haven't looked into the whole tumblr thing to have any opinion really, there might be good and bad ideas mixed up in there, who knows. But I know people are being exposed to the tumblr-style identity concepts in academic settings.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:42:09 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2016, 02:35:14 am »

Nanosexual? WTF?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2016, 02:39:45 am »

Nanogender.

But this is what I was talking about with the "overchoice" thing, linking back to research that excessive numbers of choices make people depressed, but also less satisfied with good choices, since the good features of choices you didn't choose get amplified, as well as any poor aspects of the choice you did choose.

With so many "XXXXgender" and "XXXXsexual" labels. That's just many more boxes than before. It's the opposite of tearing down the boxes. There are new boxes, and while it can be argued that they're not completely constraining, that they are vague and can be adapted to fit yourself, or you can find another label that fits better, well that's kind of a bullshit argument because broad categories like "male" and "female" do that already.

Just being devil's advocate here, but young people already have so many choices to make about their future, and there's empirical evidence that over abundance of choice in other areas reduces happiness, that I'm not 100% convinced that completely free-forming identity at a critical stage in people's development, then presenting them with dictionaries-worth of different possible identity labels is necessarily going to lead to an increase in people's well-being.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:55:42 am by Reelya »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2016, 03:01:08 am »

I think its more just a case of young people trying to work out who they are. It can be a pretty daunting thing.

I don't actually know if all these choices are actually excessive. We are talking about human sexuality here, not a brand of laundry detergent. It doesn't seem unreasonable that there would be more than a few types of genders.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2016, 03:05:27 am »

As a cis person, I'd rather be unhappy with my shitty choices than society's shitty choices, thanks.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2016, 03:10:01 am »

The problem is that you're saying "as a cis person" there, so you've never had to give any thought to this specific choice we're talking about.

It's not just being unhappy, it turns into self-blame, which is not so great. Hurts how people see themselves. And nobody has really got down and looked into things enough that we can separate out the causes of self-blame and other self-harming thoughts, to decide which factors play into those. And an over-atomized society in which we float in a sea of choices, which nobody is willing to help us navigates. That's basically the modern reality. What percentage of Americans are getting therapy? It's gone beyond a joke.

If a transgender person is unsure of their identity and unhappy, it's perhaps too easy to just blame society for 100% of their unhappiness. Society didn't cause someone to have a female brain but be born with a penis after all. if they're unhappy having a wiener, then they're lucky society exists in the first place, and has created science which can change that. Maybe society is to blame for the whole problem, but I doubt it.

"Society sucks" is just an easy excuse for the more difficult problems of the human condition. And blaming everything on a vague concept like "society" perhaps prevents us looking at things any deeper. e.g. those specific feminists who claim the transgender issue will "disappear" when we overthrow the patriarchy. It's an easy answer to a complex problem, and it just sweeps real people's problems under the carpet while refusing to give it any deeper thought. Doing that is as bad as religion.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:28:56 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2016, 03:28:47 am »

The problem is that you're saying "as a cis person" there, which means you've never actually had to make the type of choice we're talking about.

Well that isn't... exactly accurate.

It just telegraphs some of the choices.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2016, 03:39:47 am »

The whole debate seems to stem from the over-importance given to one's sex in the first place.
Gender is obviously a social construct, since it's different across cultures. Just as obviously, men and women are different and similar.

If you don't get assigned strong gender-rôles and don't get them assignated to yourself, your sex won't be all that relevant.
At the same time, peoples crave identity and it's only logical that part of it would be build on something as obvious as sex.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2016, 03:47:49 am »

If you don't get assigned strong gender-rôles and don't get them assignated to yourself, your sex won't be all that relevant.

Yeah... you see... That was the assumption for quite some time and what they generally found out is.. No, sex matters.

At least that is what they found out from the "send all children to sensitivity training" that schools did... Which was either to give children a healthy well rounded ability to think about their feelings and recognize them... Or a way to try to de-masculinize them... (It was both surprisingly)

Which is kind of the big problem with trying to be "Super Gender-Neutral" is that... It isn't Neutral it is anti-gender.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:51:39 am by Neonivek »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2016, 03:52:18 am »

I have made a choice to be cis, though. I have always been unhappy about how people see me as male, and on the forum I do prefer female pronouns, but I won't be asking people to call me female when they're in person and hearing my deep as hell voice and face to face with my male face. I don't actually subscribe to the concept of "x in y's body" and I'm more concerned about "why does it have to be permanent?" and the main answer is "we can't meaningfully change someone's sex yet", but the thing is, it doesn't hurt to be accommodating and support people while we wait for science to catch up with humanity's demand to be beautiful.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2016, 03:55:38 am »

"we can't meaningfully change someone's sex yet",

I am so INCREDIBLY perplexed that this here is a political issue.

I've been considered sexist because I 100% do not believe sex change actually alters your sex except one exception... Something entirely based around an understanding of what a sex change is.

Yet... Why is it so important that I believe a sex change does this? Whenever I get people very passionate about this I can't help but feel like I am listening to someone who just so desperately wants something to work but is completely delusional to the extent that they have to make everyone take part in their fantasies because the reality of it all is too harsh.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:58:29 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 91