Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1798985 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - for 34.03. Rebalanced.
« Reply #1830 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:16 pm »

True.

But he has a point. Nickel Silver ? Bismuth bronze ? you can get them with trading, but you cant make them yourself. I think I should either remove those, or make the GUI switch the reagents for those as well.

@seraphyx: With your permission I would add your list to the mod/manual :) Are these the plants_ff only, or did you do the plants_default as well ?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:41:21 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: March 02, 2012, 07:47:39 pm »

I'm still curious what's up with things like "fireproof steel". How is that any different from regular steel?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1832 on: March 02, 2012, 07:58:17 pm »

Steelclad dwarf against dragon = dragon melts dwarf and armor.
Fireproof steel will never, ever melt. It is fire, magma, dragonfire and anything else proof. It has a fixed temperature, so it even protects the wearer a lot better from fire attacks. It is based on the old trick of making shields from nether caps. Nether caps are cold, and withstand dragonfire as well.

EDIT: I also got a new idea. I could make very rare castes of dwarves that might arrive with migrants. These have an interaction that only targets themselves, can be done about once a month, and adds a syndrome that transformes the dwarf after a long time, lets make it 6 months.

Whats the point of this ?

#1 You get a migrant that "suspiciously stares" once a month.
#2 You get a migrant that "mumbles to himself" once a month.
#3 You get a migrant that "looks hungrily at the others" once a month.
#4 You get a migrant that "paints pentagrams when no one is looking" once a month.

You have a chance of spotting this in the log of course...

If you did not spot the dwarf and isolate/kill him, he will transform.

#1 Spy, transforms into a warlock
#2 Mentally unstable, goes berserk
#3 Infected, turns into a zombie, bites others.
#4 Possessed, turns into a demon.

I think this would add to the fun. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:06:03 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: March 02, 2012, 08:03:43 pm »

yah, dragonfire actually kills more often by cooking the dwarf through setting all his armor to extremely high tempature, baking him alive,

no baking armor, no dead dwarf. until he gets bitten that is...

Flobulon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: March 02, 2012, 08:05:06 pm »

Just in case anyone was wondering, it's really not a good idea to keep pet dragons in your main meeting hall, even temporarily. All it takes is one sneaky thief, and...

Guess it's time to start a new fortress!  ;D

HeshieokFasla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: March 02, 2012, 08:06:13 pm »

Considering the "Simple Minerals" option should only remove duplicates
No one ever claimed/said that.

It removes reduntant features, like non-weapon grade metals no one needs, like tin, nickel, lead, zinc...

I figured it was meant to remove duplicates. Fair enough.

If you find the manual to be impossible to read, do you have a better idea, how to structure it ?

The main issue is this "HTML Help" thing can't be scrolled down effectively. I can't read all the text in the manual. As mentioned already, a basic .txt file would be more than sufficient.

Steelclad dwarf against dragon = dragon melts dwarf and armor.
Fireproof steel will never, ever melt. It is fire, magma, dragonfire and anything else proof. It has a fixed temperature, so it even protects the wearer a lot better from fire attacks. It is based on the old trick of making shields from nether caps. Nether caps are cold, and withstand dragonfire as well.

Maybe you should rename that to "Unmelting" Steel? Fireproof doesn't really explain what it's actually supposed to do, since Steel itself is already fireproof.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: March 02, 2012, 08:06:52 pm »

True.

But he has a point. Nickel Silver ? Bismuth bronze ? you can get them with trading, but you cant make them yourself. I think I should either remove those, or make the GUI switch the reagents for those as well.

@seraphyx: With your permission I would add your list to the mod/manual :) Are these the plants_ff only, or did you do the plants_default as well ?

They are only the plants from the file: plant_florafauna_ff

I think most people should already be familiar enough with the default DF plants so I didn't do those. And information on them is likely already available at the wiki. And yes feel free to include the list in the manual and/or the wiki for Masterwork. Hopefully this will help people decide what to bring with them from the 180 or so new plants instead of bringing along random things and hoping they do what they want.

--------

I actually like the html help file, scrolling down is annoying sometimes because when you hover over images it wont scroll down (with the mousewheel) so you have to kind of work around that. Nevermind, I guess scrolling is fine even with images, you just have to click on the window to the right when you select something new. I'm not sure what other problems there might be with that but it seems fine to me now.

Also the search function is good except if a page only contains images, the search obviously wont find anything since it can't read text in the images. Images are fine but I would keep the main information out of the images (like descriptions and other things like that) so people can find it through searching.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:14:51 pm by Seraphyx »

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 02, 2012, 08:37:03 pm »

Can someone give me a quick run-down of how to upgrade an in-progress game to a new Masterwork version? Am I supposed to 1) unzip new Masterwork version and set up the config how I like it 2) copy the new raws to my old version DF raws folder 3) copy the new raws again to my DF save\raws folder

Is that right? Thanks :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1838 on: March 02, 2012, 08:40:56 pm »

Not quite correct. You do it like this:

Delete old version.
Download new version.
Done.

What I mean with this is: Different mod versions are not save-compatible. Sorry, but best solution is to play your current fortress to the end, then start another one using the new version. Nothing I could do about it, it is just how DF handles changes in the files.

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: March 02, 2012, 08:57:26 pm »

Something I would love to see is documentation about the different materials, like Deon did for genesis like you can see here: http://df-genesis.wikidot.com/metals (especially the "By compressive yield/fracture, By weight/density and By edge so you know what materials to use for what type of weapon)

I don't know nearly enough about reading the raws to extract stuff like this into a good readable format or I would do it myself... Same goes for different plants and their values, would be nice to have a chart of what plants can be used for what as well as their value so you know what's best to be farming.

This is all stuff that would be nice to have and all but obviously people are busy doing other more important stuff but I hope to see something like this some day when someone with the knowledge and time puts something together :D Awesome mod regardless and I love your work, cheers!

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: March 02, 2012, 09:06:34 pm »

What I mean with this is: Different mod versions are not save-compatible. Sorry, but best solution is to play your current fortress to the end, then start another one using the new version. Nothing I could do about it, it is just how DF handles changes in the files.

Okay, cool. Did you already go on your three-hour cruise? ;)

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:15 pm »

would be nice to have a chart of what plants can be used for what as well as their value so you know what's best to be farming.

I actually did the plants last night, here is the image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't add their value, but most of them were the same value from what I noticed.

--------

Here's a download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?2uocr9kpj5zzczp
This includes the image, a html document (so you can search using ctrl+f for specific plants), and an OpenOffice spreadsheet file which is what I used to make the actual list.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:12:47 pm by Seraphyx »

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: March 02, 2012, 09:21:55 pm »

I didn't add their value, but most of them were the same value from what I noticed.

--------

This includes the image, a html document (so you can search using ctrl+f for specific plants), and an OpenOffice spreadsheet file which is what I used to make the actual list.

Yeah I saw this and it's definitely a help! How much work was it to put this together btw? And how much more work do you think there would be to add values to it?

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:19 pm »

--------

Yeah I saw this and it's definitely a help! How much work was it to put this together btw? And how much more work do you think there would be to add values to it?

Well judging from my posts it looks like it took about 6 hours. Granted I knew nothing about all the information in there so I had to kind of learn as I was doing it. It shouldn't be too much work just to add the values but I'd say it would probably take at least an hour more or less. I still don't know what the values mean though. I'd say 90% of them have a value of 2 or 3, I don't recall seeing anything higher. I don't know what that 2 and 3 mean though.

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: March 02, 2012, 10:07:22 pm »

Well judging from my posts it looks like it took about 6 hours. Granted I knew nothing about all the information in there so I had to kind of learn as I was doing it. It shouldn't be too much work just to add the values but I'd say it would probably take at least an hour more or less. I still don't know what the values mean though. I'd say 90% of them have a value of 2 or 3, I don't recall seeing anything higher. I don't know what that 2 and 3 mean though.

That's a fair bit of work and it's quite appreciated!

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Crops not sure how they extract that information or if that is manually done as well, but from what I've understood better value means it will bring more happiness to your dwarves as they eat/drink it? Thus you'd want to produce your top value crops that you have access to while still keeping a variety of stuff so they don't grow bored of the same old booze/food or have I misunderstood this whole system?
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 749