Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1796340 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.5 - POLLS EVERYWHERE
« Reply #6660 on: September 01, 2012, 06:22:42 pm »

I only know them from DnD and Planescape Torment, thought it is funny that they really exist. Of course, without the telekinesis/braincontrol the fantasy versions have. But cutting it and spawning rats from it will be fun.

My current list for megabeasts:
cerberus, sphinx, quetzalcoatl, Behemoth, Basilisk, Cockatrice, Medusa, Grim Reaper, Beholder, Nymph, Siren, Druid, Vampire (Fear the Night), Werebeast(Fear the Night), Undead (Fear the Night)

Maybe I am baised with my knowledge of western myth, and lack of knowledge on eastern myth...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: September 01, 2012, 06:36:14 pm »

No coati? For inspiration look to nethack and Slash 'em. I see several referances to these games already, you may as well take more :) How about foocubus? Or perhaps the 4 riders of the apocolypse? I'd love to see the 4 riders raining down death famine pestilence and war upon my dorfs! (War turns dorfs against eachother, famine ruins food supplies, pestilence causes syndromes and death can insta kill a dwarf with a long cool down rate and perhaps raise the dead?) :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6662 on: September 01, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »

4 Riders might come, but not as megabeast, because they are always alone.

Coati are cute little fluffy animals living in brasil, stealing food from tourists at iguazu.

I dont know Nethack or Slash'em, so there are no references to those.... games?

Progress list for those who care, approaching more difficult reactions...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: September 01, 2012, 07:25:26 pm »

Really? How did you learn of frost brand then? That sword featured in those games originally, I thought. Where ever it is you got those ideas from they're all derived from those games. Umber hulks are also a nethack monster. As are cockatrices. But then again I think nethack got all of these creatures from dungeons and dragons :P

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: September 01, 2012, 07:51:48 pm »

It's good for me Meph!
I just have one thing to say about your megabeasts: you said that there'll be Nymphs, Cockatrice and Basiliks, but they are already implemented as wildlife (If I recall correctly for the basilik).
What will make them different from the others? I mean, a nymph can't destroy a whole fortress.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: September 01, 2012, 10:13:59 pm »

...My magma temple of Armok just turned into...magma.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: September 01, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »

It never happened to me Wrex. What reaction did you make?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: September 01, 2012, 10:43:27 pm »

It never happened to me Wrex. What reaction did you make?

I tried to forge a golem heart. I savescummed and tried it again, and nothing of rthe sort happened. I can only guess it tried to do the "DEATH" result, but overheated into a shower of burning magma which fell on the poor bastard, then immediatly cooled, freezing him in basalt.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: September 02, 2012, 12:30:47 am »

The manual says that "This option adds a couple of boiling stones to many reactions/workshops. Hammering metals makes sparks, burning fuel creates smoke, and so forth. These have no effect and are purely cosmetical."

Cosmetic effects, who could say no to those? But my new kitchen is knee deep in vomit, because of clouds of bacteria that fill the area when they try to cook, infecting them with a syndrome. It took me a while to figure out that was what was causing it (I thought your plague option had managed to re-enable itself in the launcher). A 10-20% chance of a syndrome laden cloud on a variety of cooking activities. A 20% of a different cloud and nausea syndrome every time I brew anything at the still. Between all that, that's pretty much going to keep half the fort permanently ill, and on this adventure I don't have access to water yet to clean this mess up.

That's fine. I've removed the syndromes from the effects now, but you might want to rewrite that section of the manual, because the negative effects of that option are massive.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:35:14 am by Arkenor »

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: September 02, 2012, 03:15:33 am »

The effects of "Running a random experiment" Are beautiful, random, and unpredictable. Producing a padded shirt out of marble was probably my favorite, although accidently forging Soul Edge was another high point.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6670 on: September 02, 2012, 09:17:03 am »

UmberHulks are DnD, Cockatrice is RL-Myth, and Frostbrand is a name I came up with.

Nymphs, Basilisks etc that are normal creatures would get a megabeast version. The ancient basilisk has come... dont know about any nymphs really, but I can see a powerful siren, or a druid that spawns 6 treants upon arrival.

Temple shouldnt be able to spawn magma, i dont even have the magma-spawning in the current version... interesting, but I redo the temple currently anyway. And if it really way the "death" chance, then hey, magmaspawning seems a reasonable result ;) But really, there shouldnt be any magma...

Arkenor, the bacteria/alcohol vapor/stench is not part of the "sparks/dust/smoke-stuff" They are part of the workshops, and do have an affect. Call them workaccidents, like the fire in the smelter. The alcohol vapor should just make them dizzy for a short time, the bacteria sick, and the stench make them vomit. I might have to rebalance this, but I did think about the feature first. People who handle raw meat and vermin remains and guts etc might get sick, tanning is by default a horrible mess (tanneries were always outside the city in a really poor slum area, more or less)

@random experiement: Yeah, someone uses it :) I want to make it even more random and add it to the temple next version, because the research lab will be removed.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: September 02, 2012, 09:22:56 am »

Arkenor, the bacteria/alcohol vapor/stench is not part of the "sparks/dust/smoke-stuff" They are part of the workshops, and do have an affect. Call them workaccidents, like the fire in the smelter. The alcohol vapor should just make them dizzy for a short time, the bacteria sick, and the stench make them vomit. I might have to rebalance this, but I did think about the feature first. People who handle raw meat and vermin remains and guts etc might get sick, tanning is by default a horrible mess (tanneries were always outside the city in a really poor slum area, more or less)
Is that part optional?
If it is not it really should be, it seems like a undesirable feature to me.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6672 on: September 02, 2012, 09:30:49 am »

Undesireable for you maybe :P

The game is too easy. ^^ I have to add stuff that hurts inside the fortress... ;)

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: September 02, 2012, 09:33:44 am »

Ah, I see. Is it part of some other turn-offable component?

I'm amazed I'm the only person to have complained about it! It happens so constantly that you can't get anything done. And as dwarves have a habit of clustering around the still to drink, it makes it even worse. I'm only in my first autumn, with 10 dwarves. Resources were running low so I got my kitchen and still area up and running, and slaughtered one of the wagon pack animals. The automatic rendering of fat that occurred shortly afterwards, and subsequent cloud took out the kitchen staff, and the brewing cloud got a few more. With no easy water on this embark, I'm in danger of ending up with a lot of very dehydrated dwarves. Having to go through the entire lifespan of the fortress with this going on all the time would be crazy, unless you really like the colour green. My first playthrough with Mastercraft is not off to a great start.

Not everyone who uses Mastercraft is going to feel comfortable rummaging around in raws to rectify it either.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:53:58 am by Arkenor »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6674 on: September 02, 2012, 10:04:17 am »

Well, it shouldnt be a little feature, not a hinderance for the player. I dont know why your dwarves drink in the still, and the normal "brew drink" reaction doesnt do any alcohol vapor at all. The tanner and butcher (stench and miasma) should be build away from food areas anyway, same goes for crematory and refuse stockpile.

But in the end this feature will be toggle-able as well, no worries. (mh, I just checked, in this version it is indeed linked to the "boiling stone" button you mentioned. I'll split it, one will be only ornamnetal, the other "work accidents" or something. Soooo much balancing to do for the next version)
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 749