Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Iron Chef succession game  (Read 8060 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iron Chef succession game
« on: August 15, 2013, 08:54:00 pm »

So over the last day or so, this conversation happened in the "The Museum" game:

Please keep in mind that the vanilla bug of sites still remains. The one that makes sites unplayable laggy after reclaim or in our case in multiple reloads of the said site. If it was not for that bug i would be playing the heck out of advmode (also would have made more improvements to adv-fort script). For all my test i been using type 2 sites these type 6 might be exempt from this annoying bug but testing is needed.

Edit: preliminary testing looks bad: they are still multiplying. Afaik this will be fixed in next df version but if anyone finds a way to fix it before that my brewery would be very thankful.

I've done some tests on site type 2 (cave) and its interesting..

I created a site, and build a wooden pilar, it remained constructed after leaving and reentering the site.
After leaving and entering the site for approximately 20 times, I noticed no lag, and no unusual amounts of animals, a few animals were present on each visit, sometimes more but never that many.

However, after I slept for seven or eight times on the same site, without leaving, animal numbers exploded. I almost didn't make it out of the site alive. After leaving and reentering the site the animal numbers seemed to have reset themselves to normal levels.

Sleeping at the site for another seven times again resulted in an animal explosion that vanished after leaving and revisiting. I have no clue what happened to the underground populations, but as of now, there is no noticeable lag. Everything added up, the site must have been reloaded 30+ times.  Some confirmation from others would be useful, but it looks like good news for Warmist's brewery. The site was constructed somewhere in a desert/gray sand area, no interesting features around.

Also some new science, this time with less desirable results, I 'll spoiler it to not clutter up the topic
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I figure we gen a world with just dwarves and humans as the races, then each pub builder chooses a human or dwarven city to set up shop in.  The value of a meal or drink (sold at a 10% markup per level of total quality) in dorfbucks gives our adventurers reasons to sell useless crap to vendors in return for hard currency. (BEER!)

Heroic followers of "the cutting edge" in the art of Cooking, brawny brewers with an eye for originality, crafty seekers of the rarer resources needed to attain state of the art in culinary haute couture and those who will brave the journey to experience only the very best foods and drink - these will all make the pilgrimage to each legendary pub.  Those few who complete such a quest will be known far and wide for their journeys and their creations.

I can imagine the masterwork quality mugs or glass goblets becoming finally useful.  Artifact mugs kept in glass cabinets (Display cases) as an item of awe to barflies everywhere...

With each savory mouthful of finely minced dragon egg, with each reverent quaff of apricot brandy, the stories of daring-do and near escapes become more outlandish and harrowing...

So: Anyone want to try this out?

Open Slots:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5) Timeless Bob
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:36:24 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Chef succession game
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:30:55 pm »

Also,
An actual Dwarven Cookbook!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:06:22 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:11:20 pm »

I might take a look into it if you mod up the value of mead, as it's too damn cheap for all this effort you have to spent in order to get it.

And sadly I have no idea how to create sites as adventurer. And how to prepare specific meals as adventurer too. And whether beekeeping works in adventure mode with plugins or not.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »

Sounds good to me.  Say 3x value or effect for mead?  Masterwork mod has two workshops, the "distillery" (the vanilla still) and a "brewery" where you can choose to make different specific drinks.  Unless I'm misunderstanding it, Advfort activates the same workshop processes that fortress mode does, so those new workshops should be available.

However, I can be totally wrong here - I'll go ask.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 03:57:29 am »

OK, it may have been an interesting idea, but with the state of the game currently, (and my noobishness re: adv-fort) it doesn't work.

Rumrusher convinced me otherwise.  Sometimes the wacky ideas have a power all their own.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:59:46 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 07:28:57 am »

Could you explain what didnt work, and why? I am sure I can find a fix for it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »

The adv-fort utility is something I hadn't played around with enough - I figured I could learn from others who knew more about it as they did their turns.  However, except for one person, nobody was interested in trying this out.  So, I figured I'd close that wacky idea down and make room for other ones.

(Besides, I've been busy building the setting for a new game called "The Eight Squared" where two playable dwarven factions are using ritual warfare to decide who rules the world.  It's chess writ large, with each piece its own fortress and the entire world genned from a chessboard.)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »

Does the world have dragons?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:48 am »

fun fact if you activate -'c'ustom mode you could make any item be a container so you could do stuff like this.

I use this to stuff my food into it self to make a better meal. If it's possible to cook a whole pig then stuff it's corpse with it's own meat then I would have done it.
Oh and butchering sentient beings is possible if you make the chef starving. To cook the meat you need to turn off the dead dwarf item flag on the corpse.
you could shove booze into a dwarf corpse then lightly worn the body in a fire for 5 ticks remove and shove the corpse in a dragon egg then prepare a nice Roc brew and shove the egg in it. or take a bronze statue from a colossus and fill it with bronze flakes and fine vintage ale.
though this idea seems to be hey let's build a fort and have a bunch of adventures run through them to eat highly made foods. Kinda reaching since you need to know Adv fort and dabble in Cooking which not alot of people know how to do.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:44:45 pm »

Yeah, the "competing restaurants" theme isn't usually covered in high fantasy games, but the current "go kill this" quest system just seems so one-dimensional.  I figured something like "go kill this", make it into a masterwork feast, brag on the forums, have others go kill something else, try out the last guy's feast, make something different, sell it to a food vendor, ect... would add the crafting element to a serially shared universe.  Why hunt Griffons?  For the Griffon-bone, the Griffon-meat, the Griffon-hide and the Griffon-blood.  For crafting materials to be sold to crafting players who in turn can make awesome stuff and foods for still other adventurers to buy at their shops.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 06:46:32 am »

Yeah, the "competing restaurants" theme isn't usually covered in high fantasy games, but the current "go kill this" quest system just seems so one-dimensional.  I figured something like "go kill this", make it into a masterwork feast, brag on the forums, have others go kill something else, try out the last guy's feast, make something different, sell it to a food vendor, ect... would add the crafting element to a serially shared universe.  Why hunt Griffons?  For the Griffon-bone, the Griffon-meat, the Griffon-hide and the Griffon-blood.  For crafting materials to be sold to crafting players who in turn can make awesome stuff and foods for still other adventurers to buy at their shops.
that and the fact that shops are buggy as hell and no good person would sell an highly price artifact or food with out the item itself disappearing since stores kinda don't save when you reload. or that's what I remember from my exploits on trying to sell stuff and become a trader. that and I don't think we could make custom shops yet.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 02:33:14 am »

It would certainly help the immersion if we could though.  As it is, all we're able to do is hack and dream.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 08:48:22 pm »

It would certainly help the immersion if we could though.  As it is, all we're able to do is hack and dream.
well I was slightly wrong you could sell items and the items will be there when you leave. So you could find a named store and pimp it out and finally sell a pricesless item.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 11:42:50 pm »

So a named store, when embarked upon, will still provide merchant services to adventurers after the site is abandoned?  Or do you mean that selling a priceless object would make it remain in that store, able to be re-purchased with currency from another adventurer?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 12:36:51 am »

So a named store, when embarked upon, will still provide merchant services to adventurers after the site is abandoned?  Or do you mean that selling a priceless object would make it remain in that store, able to be re-purchased with currency from another adventurer?
uhh when you embark on a site you overlay the site with another site. also you kinda piss off the locals doing so not only that you end up with wildlife over flooding. I mean you can sell a priceless object and it won't go way due to the shop owner doesn't have a market programmed into it. you can mark the site on the map and tweak it a little with adv fort by building tables or chairs or counters.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: [1] 2