Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 481032 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4380 on: February 21, 2020, 10:24:04 am »

(I had a friend who legitimately thought I was pulling his leg when I told him that, yes, tacos can be made with fish).

Fish tacos with cabbage and a mango-habanero salsa.

Chili sauerkraut is kinda growing on me

Have you tried to heat it in a pan before serving?

I do that with regular sauerkraut, usually with a bunch of caraway seed. I don't know what a caraway is, but them seeds are good. On top of a hamburger made of pork, with swiss cheese. Maybe on rye bread. Is it lunch yet?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: February 21, 2020, 10:40:16 am »

Have you tried to heat it in a pan before serving?
I have not! I just got back from the gym with workout munchies, so I've been forking the stuff straight out of the jar like any civilized person would do.

Caraway is pretty popular up here, the national spirit is actually primarily flavored with the stuff (there's also dill, which my dad is particularly fond of, but he just spices his own and tells the commercial brands to stuff themselves anyways). It's a... Particular taste. As with a few other elements of Norwegian cuisine, you either love it wholeheartedly or hate the very sight of it. Brown cheese falls into that category as well, and I think a number of people also have similar feelings with the tomato mackerel.

Oh yes! We also have "Nøkkelost", which directly translates to Key-cheese because that definitely tells you what you're in for! It's a yellow cheese with cloves and cumin seeds in it. Another particular flavor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: February 21, 2020, 11:26:09 am »

Don't you also have "fish cock", which is significantly less rooster-related than the name suggests? I don't remember the Norwegian name, but it's supposed to be something like that.

Then again, your country is accused of adding lye to fish to make a horrible fish soap, and then just eating it like that's a choice sane people might make. So who knows what's actually true.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: February 21, 2020, 11:48:25 am »

Hmm, not too sure about fish cocks... I mean "kokk" is the Norwegian word for "cook (noun)", and "kokt" is similarly "cooked (adjective)"... Perhaps fiskekaker? "Kake" has the sort of 'ah' sound as in cock, and fish cakes are a very traditional part of norskie gastronomy... despite primarily just being mushy fish-flavored cardboard.

Mmmm, yes, good ol' lutefisk... Depending on who's making it, it's actually surprisingly edible. Smells like a dead man's fart when it comes out of the oven though.

It is absolutely intended solely as a vehicle for pea stew, crispy bacon bits, vast amounts of butter and multiple helpings of aquavit though.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: February 21, 2020, 12:41:08 pm »

Hmm, not too sure about fish cocks... I mean "kokk" is the Norwegian word for "cook (noun)", and "kokt" is similarly "cooked (adjective)"... Perhaps fiskekaker? "Kake" has the sort of 'ah' sound as in cock, and fish cakes are a very traditional part of norskie gastronomy... despite primarily just being mushy fish-flavored cardboard.

Mmmm, yes, good ol' lutefisk... Depending on who's making it, it's actually surprisingly edible. Smells like a dead man's fart when it comes out of the oven though.

It is absolutely intended solely as a vehicle for pea stew, crispy bacon bits, vast amounts of butter and multiple helpings of aquavit though.

Now that I've got enough food and caffine in me to do something approaching thought, I think the literal is "fish rooster" or "rooster fish". I cannot, however, remember where I heard that. That is in the inaccessible past.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: February 21, 2020, 01:02:43 pm »

Well there's the roosterfish species, which apparently is referred to with the direct translation of hanefisk in Norwegian (I'd never heard that name before though, probably because they're mostly based pretty far away from Norway)...

And now I'm deathly curious what dish might have a related name. I mean, we call monkfish fucking breiflabb (wide... "flabb")... We have fish cakes, fish pudding, fish soup, rakfisk, tørrfisk, lutefisk, fiskemølje, gravlaks, røkelaks... About a bazillion different variations of pickled herring... Makrell i tomat... That's about all I'm coming up with offhand.

Oh yeah, and caviar in a tube. Great on sandwiches for the kids!

We also drink a lot of cod liver oil. S'good for ya. *Hork*

EDIT: Okay, hang on a second... Managed to find a Wikipedia article in nynorsk [spitting noises], that describes the tradition where competitive flyfishers in France raise roosters with "feathers especially well-adapted to becoming fly lures". Fiskehaner/hanar, fishroosters. Of note is the modern breed, coq de pêche du Limousin... Limousine fishroosters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: February 21, 2020, 04:32:04 pm »

I recently discovered that some People make mashed potato so mashed that it’s practically a liquid. Mashed potato should be thick and buttery! Filling in the mouth, swallowed whole! Due to this discovery, I am now forgoing mashed potato entirely, and will now subsist on raw potato instead.
Yeah, that's gross. It's supposed to be dry and fluffy!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: February 21, 2020, 04:40:54 pm »

My ideal mashed potatoes consistency is like particularly thick ice cream... minus all that sweetness ofc.

It shouldn't be liquid by any means, but it should go down easily.

NOR shall it be "Dry" and coming away in chunks--except perhaps rarely when the potatoes are home-mashed and already QUITE buttery.

That's me 2 cents.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: March 09, 2020, 12:05:00 pm »

I saw Enchiladas Suizas on the menu today. I checked elsewhere in the menu (I'm not going to just ask someone), and found it was enchiladas covered in sour cream and cheese.

Now, I'm lactose intolerant, so I go ahead and order it. "Covered" in sour cream is underselling it. There was half as much melted sour cream as there was enchilada. It pooled up along the edge of the plate. Warm sour cream as a sauce is awesome, and also it was covered in (soft) cheese.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: March 09, 2020, 12:09:42 pm »

My condolences to your contacts of the day, be they coworkers, friends, family, or other.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: March 09, 2020, 03:02:23 pm »

My condolences to your contacts of the day, be they coworkers, friends, family, or other.

Yeah, my stomach isn't happy, and it will continue to be unhappy next time I do this.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: March 13, 2020, 10:18:35 am »

I was going to make a joke about stocking up on Rum Ham for Corvid-19. While looking for pictures, I found out there are recipes for rum ham now. Taste of Home suggested 3/4 of a cup of rum for the ham, which is clearly a typo. I'm sure they mean 3/4 of a liter.

Anyway, someone with more money than sense (or at least some rum and a ham) should make this and report back.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: March 20, 2020, 01:21:22 pm »

I'm looking through what I need to buy for groceries, and what I can eat now. I've got everything except veg and cured meat (which is optional, but generally delicious) for red beans and rice, need pitas for hummus (have canned beans and flavorings), and then I found my cured mango con chili. Everything is good again.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: March 20, 2020, 07:06:17 pm »

Waht the hell is rum ham that sounds ungodly.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: March 20, 2020, 08:54:54 pm »

Hmm... Currently locked in at my girlfriend's place in a small town. The kitchen set up here isn't...ideal. (Smallest knife is 20cm, pans are woks, spice rack is a mystery). Most of my nice recipes include baking, so that's off the table. Everything else I would cook for myself would be mostly uncooked... Gonna be tough to find something to cook that conveys that I know how to cook...
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 333