Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (Done)  (Read 40182 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (sub found)
« Reply #345 on: April 03, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »

Assassin with Dusk Dagger, Eternal Robe & Skull Talisman vs Commander with Skull Talisman... well that was a silly battle to watch and win.

Edit: I agree with AlStar, but I'm okay with giving up some info to have some fluff.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:43:10 am by ThtblovesDF »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 04, 2017, 10:32:20 am »

The one thing that I dislike about Dominions is that - ideally - you really shouldn't be saying anything until the game's over, when everyone can finally compare notes.

Even something as innocuous as "I hope my upcoming battle goes well" or "this should be an exciting turn" could potentially tip off your opponents into doing something you don't want them to do. Discussing in-depth tactics is right out, as you basically tell everyone else what they should be doing to stop you and/or what you're up to.

It's a shame, since I often have a bunch I'd like to say about my current situation, but by the end of the game, individual turns blend together. I suppose I could keep a log or something... but that seems too much like work.  :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 04, 2017, 10:33:29 am »

I pushed hosting back 12h last night w/o being asked because we were creeping up on the deadline with 5 players outstanding. We're 3h to the new deadline and still have 3 out. I'll push another 12h because we've already had too many stales for my taste, but if we're having trouble with turns can we get some discussion from the affected players?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 04, 2017, 10:00:02 pm »

Even something as innocuous as "I hope my upcoming battle goes well" or "this should be an exciting turn" could potentially tip off your opponents into doing something you don't want them to do.
Or maybe by giving that little bit of information away (or even lying), you can bait them into doing something you do want them to do.

It's a shame, since I often have a bunch I'd like to say about my current situation, but by the end of the game, individual turns blend together. I suppose I could keep a log or something... but that seems too much like work.  :P
Yeah, it'd be nice if there was a thing that let you step through previous turns, to see what was going on in the past. It'd also be useful for remembering what the plan for various armies was, when turns can sometimes take half a week to get done. Maybe also have a thing sent when a game is done that lifts the fog of war, so everybody could see everything that went on.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2017, 10:22:15 pm »

So every game I play of dom 4 seems to update mid game, and I always forget LLama's process.
I just submitted my turn, then booted steam to see there was an update. Do I need to resubmit? And if so do I just resend and it'll wipe the 'old' one I sent?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 04, 2017, 10:33:16 pm »

So every game I play of dom 4 seems to update mid game, and I always forget LLama's process.
I just submitted my turn, then booted steam to see there was an update. Do I need to resubmit? And if so do I just resend and it'll wipe the 'old' one I sent?
Llama will either barf on the turn or not. If it doesn't (sends you a message saying the turn's good), don't worry about it.
If it barfs or doesn't reply anything at all, yes, you should probably try updating then resubmitting.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #351 on: April 04, 2017, 11:15:28 pm »

It didn't, thank ye

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 05, 2017, 10:28:43 am »

Checking the stales, it looks like we may have scared off DFNewb, our sub for a1s.

I'mma going to blame all the rest of you.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 06, 2017, 06:06:35 pm »

I would need a 10 hour extension for this turn, please.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2017, 07:48:02 pm »

Pushed.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2017, 05:49:07 pm »

Why must caveman provinces be so useless? Their commanders have 10 leadership, the troops cost a ton, and - the worst sin of them all - they don't get a single PD unit until 4, and even at 10 PD you're only bringing a force of 3 dudes.

I mean, sure, PD isn't usually going to stop an invading army, but 4 PD (10g worth) can normally kill at least its cost. I have never seen caveman PD do squat.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 09, 2017, 02:10:02 pm »

We need to do something as far as stales go - there's no real balance in terms of what various players are facing at this point.

--

I'm pretty sure that my loss in Nargado was the very image of a Pyrrhic victory. Enjoy your now-E8 quad-Horror-Marked Earth Serpent, Uku - assuming you've got the priests to call it back. And setting aside my mercs (who served their intended purpose), we lost similar values of troops, though you'll have more trouble replacing mages than I will national grunts...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 09, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »

We need to do something as far as stales go - there's no real balance in terms of what various players are facing at this point.
I guess the question is: do we look for subs, or force them AI? K'narwa, at least, is probably too far gone to bother with a sub - they've got enough forces that they can still do some annoying guerilla shit (especially to me, although possibly also to  Iedynu and/or Lhong, and maybe to some of the aboveground nations), but I don't think they're going to win, even if you managed to find Sun Tzu to replace the current player.

Oddly, both Iedynu and Lhong staled, which is unusual - usually just the loser in a battle does that... From what I can see, Lhong's not in a good place right now, but Iedynu looks to be in great shape... well, at least until its (as far as I can tell) single giant army of Drake Knights runs into an army prepared with fire resistance (not that I'd know anything about that...)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:56:10 pm by AlStar »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 10, 2017, 08:12:17 am »

I guess the question is: do we look for subs, or force them AI? K'narwa, at least, is probably too far gone to bother with a sub - they've got enough forces that they can still do some annoying guerilla shit (especially to me, although possibly also to  Iedynu and/or Lhong, and maybe to some of the aboveground nations), but I don't think they're going to win, even if you managed to find Sun Tzu to replace the current player.

Oddly, both Iedynu and Lhong staled, which is unusual - usually just the loser in a battle does that... From what I can see, Lhong's not in a good place right now, but Iedynu looks to be in great shape... well, at least until its (as far as I can tell) single giant army of Drake Knights runs into an army prepared with fire resistance (not that I'd know anything about that...)

As spoken by those who have never felt the bite of a wyrm.

Sorry for the stale guys, I need to get in the rhythm of checking for Dominions turns again. I keep reading the reminders whenever I'm getting ready to sleep and making sure no agenda changes have occurred for work, but at that time I can't be bothered to get out of bed again. Poor excuse I know, but I'll at least make sure I'll send it in tonight :P

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 10, 2017, 04:04:41 pm »

I'll need a 6 hour extention. Been busy with work sadly.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36