Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven traders brought helmet snake and GCS venom. How do I lace my ammo?  (Read 2743 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Doing my turn at Deathgame succession and traders brought gifts. Wanted to put them to use....
And things tested so far:

Flinging the venom onto the floor, then stockpiling copper bolt on top:  no covering.
Flinging the venom into 3/7 water, then stockpiling copper bolt on top: water covering, both in and when taken out of water.
Stockpiling copper bolt, then flinging the venom on top:                    no covering.
Stockpiling copper bolt into 3/7 water, then flinging the venom on top: water covering, both in and when taken out of water.

I know venom coatings can be done with leaving things out into syndrome mist/rain, but that's not what I have here. The venom hitting the wall never creates venom mist, just falls straight down into a pool.

I suppose I could perhaps build a minecart watergun that hit enemies with water laced with venom, but I want poison-tipped ammo!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:40:27 pm by Fleeting Frames »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I think it actually isn't viable yet without additional mechanics or modded reactions.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile

I think it actually isn't viable yet without ... modded reactions.

FYI, if you plan to do this, modding in a new reaction requires a new world gen.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I think it actually isn't viable yet without ... modded reactions.

FYI, if you plan to do this, modding in a new reaction requires a new world gen.

-Dame de la Licorne

You can also just overwrite a preexisting reaction that already existed in your world. If you were never going to make trifle pewter or black bronze anyway, why not have a reaction that spits out poison blades instead?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mm. Other ideas I have that might or might not work:

- if it needs to be mist to coat, would putting those in a nickel minecart and letting that through magma create said mist? (Previous experiments with wooden stuff stored inside a steel cart suggests no, though.)
- would putting the ammo in the very same container that has the venom in it work? (no idea how to do this)

PS: Oh and I totally make black bronze.

Rutile and pitchblende are such scarce resources.

Not trifle pefter, though. That could work, but it could also prevent people changing tilesets in succession.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:46:10 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Does having some water push the venom onto the arrows work? Put the venom in 1/7 magma? Leave the venom in a magma-filled minecart for a long period of time?

(Heat transfer from the cart takes quite a while. ~1000 ticks to destroy a wood wheelbarrow hauling it, no ignition. Wood - HEATDAM_POINT:10250, IGNITE_POINT:10508. That's ~4 ticks per Urist.)

Even if you successfully coat the ammo, the arrows might not inject the venom into the bloodstream where it needs to be. I think it only works for contact poisons.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:17:02 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven traders brought helmet snake and GCS venom. How do I lace my ammo?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 12:26:36 am »

1) Nope, the venom doesn't even move.
Pushing wooden cart into magma just makes the cart disappear, venom and all.
Having 1/7 magma from 2/7 square flow onto it makes venom disappear (and sets wooden items on fire).

Changing cart and barrels to nickel via changeitem and then spawning magma right on top...Gets me cart with two venom barrels and 766 magma in it. Having it chill in magma till venom temp reached 100°C....

Nice cloud!

*checks all items*

No coating.

Yeah, the only time I see any coating is when filling in the contaminated water - and even then, items inside said container gets no coating from either water or contaminant.

Oh and when that water is dumped out of minecart via track stop, it is clean again.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:49:47 am by Fleeting Frames »

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 06:12:25 am »

What if using the same trick as with gnomeblight?
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gnomeblight

Put a Trap that open wounds, and a venom pool can kill all injuried invaders with some time.
I think that shoes protect from venom in the floor (gnomes don't use shoes), so a 2/7 water with venom can infect the wounds. The same for your dwarves, mark the pool as restricted and make another path, or injuried dwarves will be killed when path across the water.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 11:17:56 am »

While putting the trap Above Ground/Inside prevents dwarves or rain from cleaning it, wouldn't it eventually disappear? I recall ice[833] poofing relatively fast.

Though, if it is in a water pool, I guess it wouldn't.

Hm... *Recalls Battlefailed reclaim deaths*

*pits animals inside venom pool*

Nah. They're fine, even the cat.

Hm...And they don't want to fight from overcrowding(14 in 1x1), for now...

Regardless, given that just about every non-procedural venom has SIZE_DILUTES, even if it worked it'd be somewhat similar to pressure plate operated drawbridge and restricted minecart grinders; purely defensive (though less deadly to citizens).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 10:31:47 pm »

Code: (Gnomeblight) [Select]
[SYN_NAME:gnomeblight]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:GNOME_MOUNTAIN:ALL]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:GNOME_DARK:ALL]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[SYN_INHALED]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ALL:START:0:PEAK:30:END:1200]
Code: (GCS) [Select]
[SYN_NAME:giant cave spider bite]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:5:PEAK:10:END:20]
Code: (Helmet Snake) [Select]
[SYN_NAME:helmet snake bite]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:HELMET_SNAKE:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_FEVER:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
[CE_NAUSEA:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
[CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:75:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
[CE_SWELLING:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
[CE_OOZING:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
[CE_BRUISING:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:10:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:50:PEAK:75:END:100]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:50:PEAK:800:END:3000]

The only method of transmission for GCS or helmet snake venom is injection, which I think can only be done via bite attack. You're pretty much stuck with FB extract for poison arrows, it seems.

You could mod a creature that spews some injection-only venom, then have it coat some ammo. At least we could verify whether or not arrows are capable of injecting.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:38:39 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?